Cool Kids Caching Competition

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
THENANKS
1550 or more caches found

Post by THENANKS » 04 September 07 10:43 pm

squigly pigly wrote:could you please give an example for "other"

"other means any physical cache that is not a micro, small, regular or large"

What if the listing does not specify cache size ?
Hi SP, If you are meaning caches with a ? on the cache size that would be an " OTHER ". Hopefully that will help. Happy Caching :D . Cheers The Nanks

pickupfamily
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by pickupfamily » 05 September 07 4:32 pm

Hi admins, can you please clarify with requirement 12 "Find a cache where you got there without using a motorised vehicle", is it OK to drive to a carpark and then ride bikes (2km round-trip in this case), or does one have to ride FROM HOME?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 September 07 7:41 pm

The original idea was from home to the cache on non-motorised equipment.

However, this is going to be really tough, so in the interests of having fun, you can drive to a park and then use your non-motorised equipment from there.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 September 07 7:42 pm

squigly pigly wrote:could you please give an example for "other"

"other means any physical cache that is not a micro, small, regular or large"

What if the listing does not specify cache size ?
If it's not marked as micro, small, regular or large, then it's something else and that's covered by other.

d.d.dudes
500 or more caches logged

Post by d.d.dudes » 07 September 07 9:33 am

Ummm.......just to confirm caches with the size as an X (not chosen) is the same as ?(other) as far as points go. The son's looking at all angles (Hey....I,m the just the bozo who shrugs) :lol:
Last edited by d.d.dudes on 07 September 07 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 07 September 07 9:35 am

Yes.
Anything not micro, small, regular or large is other.

d.d.dudes

Post by d.d.dudes » 07 September 07 9:52 am

Thanks from the gang :mrgreen:

cdmark
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by cdmark » 08 September 07 9:26 am

Sorry guys. We may have missed this in the game requirements. Can you log GCA only caches including locationless or movable ones? Cheers.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 08 September 07 10:31 am

cdmark wrote:Sorry guys. We may have missed this in the game requirements. Can you log GCA only caches including locationless or movable ones? Cheers.
Locationless = No as there is no physical cache to find.
Movable caches = Yes as there is a physical cache.

cdmark
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by cdmark » 08 September 07 10:39 am

OK. Thanks. I guess that counts out web cam caches as well as there is no 'physical' cache to find either? Cheers.

THENANKS

Post by THENANKS » 08 September 07 4:50 pm

cdmark wrote: I guess that counts out web cam caches as well as there is no 'physical' cache to find either? Cheers.
That's right. A webcam cache is not considered 'physical' so NO CAN DO for these ones. <center> :shock: The leader board is filling fast. :shock: Keep having fun kids! :P </center>

theUMP

Post by theUMP » 10 September 07 11:11 pm

I've published a few "other" sized caches lately, and seen a few more get changed from their original size to "other", just to score the extra points.
They would all have been better described by one of the other size categories.

This means that finders have no idea if they're looking for an ammo box or a nano-cache, which is generally not a Good Thing.

Organisers: maybe consider removing "other" from your points system in future games, or at least making it worth less so the temptation to misrepresent the cache isn't there.

Players: once you've scored your points with the bogus size rating, change 'em to the real size on 1st October, ay?

I like the idea of encouraging larger cache placements (I hold my nose whenever I publish a micro in the bush kilometres from anywhere), but this is a loophole that will lessen the enjoyment of cachers.

THENANKS

Post by THENANKS » 11 September 07 10:56 am

theUMP wrote:I've published a few "other" sized caches lately, and seen a few more get changed from their original size to "other", just to score the extra points.
They would all have been better described by one of the other size categories.

This means that finders have no idea if they're looking for an ammo box or a nano-cache, which is generally not a Good Thing.

Organisers: maybe consider removing "other" from your points system in future games, or at least making it worth less so the temptation to misrepresent the cache isn't there.

Players: once you've scored your points with the bogus size rating, change 'em to the real size on 1st October, ay?

I like the idea of encouraging larger cache placements (I hold my nose whenever I publish a micro in the bush kilometres from anywhere), but this is a loophole that will lessen the enjoyment of cachers.
Hi Ump / Bear Left/?, We have already discussed the changes we think should be concidered regarding your comments. Mrs N and I agree totally and also would weight the points with large being the most points. Also while you are holding your nose about bush micros, I have a great one ready to go but we are looking for the right place. We have got to a stage that we are looking for something a bit different, whether it is a good bike ride in the bush or a challenging find that has been well thought out. We know that the bush micro police :evil: will be all over us about it but others will love it. That's why we all get something different out of geocaching. Cheers The Nanks- Mr

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 11 September 07 12:11 pm

theUMP wrote:
We used to only place regular large caches :shock: but since unfair swapping drained the goodies to geogarbage why plant more :?: When a well placed micro will get you to a spot that was intended :!: To quote once more a famous reviewer " it's all in the journey"

Dik:

Post by Dik: » 11 September 07 2:32 pm

OK, I'm a culprit here.

To help the kids out I changed a cache (before the start of the competition) from large to "other", but the cache notes start with "This is an ENORMOUS cache" so I don't think it should be too confusing.

It's going back to large at conclusion of the comp.

IMHO Any cache listed as other should state the size, other than miro, small, regular or large, in the notes.