Unserviced Geocache in Remot area.

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
dazlingCapnHook

Post by dazlingCapnHook » 10 July 07 4:47 pm

I'll be going to an extremely remote area of WA in a few weeks. Definitely not the usual 4wd trip. I would like to setup a geocache. Problem-This region may have only a few travellers in a year. I definately wont be back to check on the Geocache. Is it koche to leave a cache in such circumstances?

McPhan
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by McPhan » 10 July 07 5:48 pm

Step 5 - Maintain the cache

Once you place the cache, it is your responsibility to maintain the cache and the area around it. You'll need to return as often as you can to ensure that your cache is not impacting the area, and ensure that the cache is in good repair.<p>

Once people have visited the cache, inquire about the cache and their opinion of the location. Does the area look disturbed? Are visitors disrupting the landscape in any way? If you have concerns about the location, feel free to move or remove it from the area.<p>

Happy geocaching!
The above from the other site. I would suspect that the reviewer will not approve unless there is some maintenance proviso (ie a local to look after it - if there is one.)

Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Re: Unserviced Geocache in Remot area.

Post by Gunn Parker » 10 July 07 6:29 pm

dazlingCapnHook wrote:I'll be going to an extremely remote area of WA in a few weeks.
What area?

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 10 July 07 8:00 pm

My thoughts on this are that you could list it here on GCA, but if you don't plan on going back at least annually then it's probably not a good idea..... there's nothing that gets people more riled up than non/poorly maintained caches! You can't rely on other finders to do it.

Your call!

theUMP

Post by theUMP » 10 July 07 8:04 pm

As McPhan said, the reviewers probably wouldn't publish it if you planned to leave it there and never visit again.
I know this for a fact, since it's probably me who'd be reviewing it!

The relevant document is the guidelines (that you need to read and agree to abide by to publish a gc.com cache), which say:
As the cache owner, you are also responsible for physically checking your cache periodically, and especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.). You may temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to hunt for it until you have a chance to fix the problem. This feature is to allow you a reasonable time - normally a few weeks - in which to arrange a visit to your cache.
If you're planning to place one on the Outback Highway, though, get in touch and we'll talk...

dazlingCapnHook

Post by dazlingCapnHook » 10 July 07 8:43 pm

Okay, I wont hide the cache. It was a bad idea. At the time I thought it would be a great challenge for others.

belken

Post by belken » 10 July 07 10:37 pm

You can still hide it.

What area is it in and we may be able to see whether a person in WA can look after it.

Also make it an ammo can not plastic so maintenance is less of an issue.

If we can't find a maintainer, so it can't be listed on the other site, list it here(On GCA). Still use a decent container and we(general as in West Australians) will maintain it when we get there. We do that for a lot of remote caches that we do not want to lose. We( as in BelKen now) will do our utmost to maintain a good remote cache when we go past. We do not do the same for a city cache(Depending on our crapometer)

With the guidelines as they stand on the other site a lot of good spots will never get a cache. With a close community and one without too many expectations the maintenance issue is a furphy.

It is a good idea.

dazlingCapnHook

Post by dazlingCapnHook » 11 July 07 12:04 am

Thanks Belkin. However the area is so remote, I think its impractical- 14deg 12 03S 127deg 20 43E.

belken

Post by belken » 11 July 07 12:33 am

Remote?? Pfaw.

All the better. Certainly no one local up there. Although I think Team Wombat heads up the Gibb River Road yearly.

Checkout GCG3HJ and GCG3HK. Two caches annoying the beejesus out of me. Need time and money to get there but in time we certainly will. If the spot is good it definately needs a cache. You may have to wait a couple of years for a find but sooner or later it will get one.

That whole patch of ground deserves some caches. ie Gibb River, Mitchell plateau etc. Most people will only make one trip into the Kimberlies and those special spots need to be highlighted. On our next run through we intend to seed the area and list them on GCA. At least someone can then find some. They don't need to be at the regular haunts but at those places that are off the track but special. Your trip will certainly go past a few of these. A cache somewhere up that way with a few instructions on what was required to get there would be most welcome.
Last edited by belken on 11 July 07 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dazlingCapnHook

Post by dazlingCapnHook » 11 July 07 8:52 am

Ok Belkin, You've given me some encouragement. I have a few weeks to work on an indestructable container (monsoon Proof). Thanks for that...

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 11 July 07 3:04 pm

dazlingCapnHook wrote:Ok Belkin, You've given me some encouragement. I have a few weeks to work on an indestructable container (monsoon Proof). Thanks for that...
Ammo cans from your local Army Surplus are still the gold standard for low-maintenance cache containers, although the poly pipe type being discussed in another thread at the moment are also pretty good.
Avoid plastic boxes, they just won't last in those conditions.

alex
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by alex » 14 July 07 4:31 pm

14deg 12 03S 127deg 20 43E.
Geebung Landing Ground, beside the King George River, I see at least three tracks coming in there, must be a busy place!

dazlingCapnHook

Post by dazlingCapnHook » 14 July 07 7:25 pm

Old mining tracks. not in use any more. About one vehicle per year on average....

Devar
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life
Twitter: Devar

Post by Devar » 17 July 07 12:03 am

I once planted <a href="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... e1c55c2">a cache</a> up there. I'll return one day. ;-)