Personal Comms equipment

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....

Personal Comms equipment

Post by swampgecko » 16 April 03 5:04 pm

Just out of interest, and the fact that the wife and I decided that mobile phones were not good enough ,when out in the boonies caching, that we needed an alternate source of communications.

So what do you people use?

I am looking at getting a pair of Uniden 40ch uhf handhelds for those times that I leave the family behind and have to go it alone on a cache, as happened recently when we did thunder blunder. I couldn't drive any further on as NSWNPWS has placed a gate on the track, 1.6klms as a crow flys, and as it was too far for my little angels to walk, I did it alone, but left the wife with strict instructions that if she hadn't seen or heard from me by a set time to drive out and get help. I am also fitting a uhf radio to my truck, I already have a am unit fitted.

Any comments or suggestions?

Any suggestion

Mind Socket

Post by Mind Socket » 16 April 03 7:30 pm

I have a pair of Uniden 040 something or other model handhelds. They are fine for shortish distances over open ground. Examples:
Palm beach to south side at top of Barrenjoey head - worked ok probably about 400-500m.
Middle of Crows Nest, no good after about 3 blocks - less than 200m

Your mileage may vary, but they are still handy to have especially in areas of little phone reception. If you walk over a hill, you're pretty much guaranteed to be out of range.

There are more powerful handhelds and the in car models are better too.

Don't be surprised if, say, for example, you get funny looks in the supermarket, using them to communicate with your other half who's minding the dog outside. :)

- Rog

Team Piggy

UHF.

Post by Team Piggy » 16 April 03 9:09 pm

I think the distance you can get with your UHF's is a direct link to the price you pay.
We tested the cheapies (Some nice little units too, but nil range), ended up spending about 450 ish per handheld, (work equipment anyway, so not too bad).
We wanted the little ones, but they just werent going to do the job.

Team piggy Run Electrophone TX4400's in the Cache mobiles, and Icom Hand helds. We have no real trouble getting anywhere up to about 15-30 + Kms in the city suburban areas, and usually 3-4 kms in the city itself.
When recieving with the Vehicle units it's even further again.

Out bush it's even better.
I do recall last winter event being able to pick up Team geocoopers on the uniden 89 buck special and they were about 30 kms away, so pretty good ! considering there was a huge hill between us !

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 16 April 03 11:59 pm

There are three options here:

a) A "cheapie" UHF unit like the Digitalks, Logicom and other such brands. These can be had for under $50 each. The real cheap ones only have 3 channels. They range from "absolutely useless toy" to "very useable, but be careful you don't drop it". They are definitely built down to a price. If you are strapped for cash, get a 500mW unit from DSE/Jaycar/Electus/Strathfield and cross your fingers.

b) The Uniden UH037/040/042 series. Most geocachers (and everyone else) uses these. They are well built, rugged, perform well, are fairly cheap (from $80 each) and are the industry standard compact UHF transceiver. You can't go wrong buying one of these. The UH040XR is the pick of the bunch in my opinion, but the cheaper 037 is *slightly* smaller and lighter. These small units are all 500mW and will get you a km or two in most environments.

c) Other higher end UHF units by the likes of Uniden, Kenwood and Icom. They are up to 5W output, but are much more expensive, big and chew through batteries. Way overkill for most geocaching applications.

EcoDave :)

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 17 April 03 10:40 am

I have a couple of the Uniden UH-042XR tranceivers. Like any UHF set they are theoretically line of sight - the higher you are the further they go.
The receiver is reasonable and as EcoDave says 500mw will give a km or so.
If you want tho try them Swamy get in touch with me and you can borrow them for a while to try for yourself.

Riblit

Robert

Post by Robert » 17 April 03 8:20 pm

I have an in-car TX4200, great unit. The Uniden handhelds are fantastic, but as everyone says a little range-limited. But, generally more than good enough for someone staying in the car to keep in contact with those out hunting for caches. The battery life on the Unidens is excellent. Mobiles are useless, expensive, too long to initate a call, patchy coverage.

Long range does had its disadvantages, you will be overhearing a lot of conversations you don't want to, such as the "how many times can I use the verb f**k" in a sentence competition.

Hounddog
500 or more caches logged

Comms

Post by Hounddog » 18 April 03 12:45 am

This is something I know a lot about as I have been a radio hobbyist for over 25 years and published a radio frequency and how to guide many years ago. I was going to suggest settling on a national standard frequency for geocachers as well. We always use Channel 15 UHFCB. You could use any full powered (5 watt) transceiver for your cache mobile but I use and recommend a GME TX3200 for the car as it performs very well. For portable use, anything with less that a 1 watt output will really let you down in rough terrain. GME have just released a new model called a TX610 and this is the best value handheld radio on the market today. At $139 you can't go wrong and it has a very respectable 1 watt out put which will give you great range when Geocaching. If you have the money and really want to be sure of coverage in ALL conditions the GME TX6000 is a full 5 watt power handheld but has a price tag of around $500.

In short: 5 Watt Mobile transceiver for the car. and a minimum 1 watt output Handheld for the field will keep you in touch for most geocaching conditions.

Hope this helps

Hounddog

Hounddog

Post by Hounddog » 18 April 03 1:23 am

EcoTeam wrote:
c) Other higher end UHF units by the likes of Uniden, Kenwood and Icom.

EcoDave :)
Dave, you are spot on about Icom radios they are excellent high end units and well worth the money, but with respect I have to throw water on your rating of the other 2 brands. Ask around and people will tell you that Uniden can never be considered high end gear. They are mostly cheaper end units aimed at budget users and perform accordingly. Kenwood make a nice radio internaly but build them inside crap casings that smash to pieces even if you look like dropping them on the ground. We used Kenwood units at work (about 15 units) and not only were they over priced but we had to throw away most of them after only 12 months of use.

Sorry mate but I couldn't let that one go without comment knowing what I know about Uniden and Kenwood Units. I would personaly consider Icom, Motorola, and Tait the high end units of the CB world.

Hounddog

swampgecko

UHF radios

Post by swampgecko » 19 April 03 10:50 am

Thanks to all for the comments and advice, I have settled on the GME TX610 that Hounddog talked about. but managed to get them on special for nearly a third cheaper than GME's recommended price.

In the end I was swayed by not only price but power output. The TX610 seems to be the best compromise, and when I found them for $108 per unit v's the normal price of $140, well I just couldn't say no. If anyone is interested I found them at http://www.prestigecom.net.au/

Once again thanks for the input

Swampy

swampgecko

UHF Handhelds

Post by swampgecko » 30 April 03 7:43 pm

I have finally recieved my birthday presents of a pair of GME TX610 UHF radios, now all I need is the batteries and maybe a desktop charger. So now the Geckos will be contactable on ch15 or via mobile

barnesy

Batteries and GME TX610

Post by barnesy » 30 April 03 10:27 pm

I just received a set of GME TX610's. They seem like quite good quality. They managed to give a fairly clear signal in a 1km partly hilly suburban environment.

On the subject of batteries. Jaycar have recently released Powertech 800mAh AAA NiMH batteries. These go for $3.59 each and make a reasonable buy for a set of 8.

swampgecko

Batteries

Post by swampgecko » 30 April 03 10:39 pm

Thanks, will keep that in mind when I go looking

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 01 May 03 11:16 pm

You'll get a price break on those batteries for a set of 10, and much cheaper again if you buy through the wholesale arm Electus Distribution.
They have a $100 minimum order and you have to open a cash account, but then you get all the Jaycar stuff at wholesale prices :D

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 02 May 03 12:31 am

I have one of those so if anyone wants to buy a bunch of stuff and can make the minimum order I can accomodate them.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

NiMH purchase

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 03 May 03 11:23 pm

Swampy, I'm just about to order myself some NiMHs from a bloke I know, and he can do 800mAH AAAs for $3.15ea (MOQ 8 pcs)

If you can let me know before tomorrow night, I'll have them by later in the week. I'll leave them in 'Michael' for you; should be safe enough! :lol:
Naar, only kidding, we'll arrange a courier from my work to the base.

Same goes for anyone else looking for some rechargeables, especially in Sydney. I've been using these AAAs and AAs for months and they're great! The 1650mAH ones I've been using in my "battery killer" Kodak DC215 camera have _so_ outperformed alkalines, even outside the rechargeability! They're $3.75ea and the 2000mAH AAs are $5 ea.

Let me know by, say, 2100 on 4MAY03, and I'll put in a bulk order.