OT: Any students in the audience tonight?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 28 May 07 9:16 pm

Well I am coming from the other side ... marking those assignments. I not only need a break, I need a drink :-)

Regards
Andrew

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 29 May 07 1:55 am

Was for the first two weeks of the semester... :oops:

stanley
2800 or more caches found
2800 or more caches found

Post by stanley » 29 May 07 9:09 pm

One half of the Stanleys (Mrs S) can speak from both sides. I completed my Masters in Health Science (Occupational Therapy) by distance in 1995 then had a break before starting the PhD. That was conferred 12 months ago after 7 long years but well worth the effort to become Dr S.

I am an academic and do lots of online teaching. It is a different way of teaching and learning but enables lots of people who otherwise couldn't do study to do so. Yes, that marking is painful. Geocaching always takes precedence over the marking. But work does has its advantages. Got to a conference in the US recently and the chance to pick up a few caches in LA!
Good luck with the assignments
Mandy

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 29 May 07 9:14 pm

stanley wrote:One half of the Stanleys (Mrs S) can speak from both sides. I completed my Masters in Health Science (Occupational Therapy) by distance in 1995 then had a break before starting the PhD.
Congratulations on the PhD Dr Stanely :-)
Yes, that marking is painful.
Tell me about it. Ripping my hair out the moment at some of the worst assignments I have seen in awhile - well probably since last semester .. LOL. Thankfully every now and then is a good one and even better, one or two brillant ones.

Thankfully should be all finished marking in a week (my students don't have exams), but boy it was good to nick off geocaching this morning. Needed the exercise to cope with the pain this afternoon/evening.

Regards
Andrew

unbreakables
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by unbreakables » 29 May 07 10:12 pm

Congrats Dr, that must have been a mamoth effort all those years study, was there a time when you thought you would give up??
I am only toying with tafe certs at the moment, (certs in frontline mgt and fire fighting s'vision) but have considered doing a degree, but the time/life balance act is daunting, i struggle with life hobbies study, brigade responsibilities and oh! work, as it is, let alone with bigger dead lines.
So I take my hat off to anyone who is doing any kind of study at all, hope you all achieve what you are after.
Cheers.

vk7hch
1150 or more Caches found
1150 or more Caches found

Post by vk7hch » 29 May 07 11:20 pm

Congratulations on the PhD Dr Stanely, your study load would have made mine pale into insignificance.
I am just one month into 18 month part time Cert IV Health (Nursing). Contact load is one full day per week, with 15 to 20 hrs home based study pw. This will actually be named as a Diploma course next year, sounds better than Cert IV. Also working full time casual at two jobs in aged care.
Assignments due, back to it.:(
Gawd I miss caching. :cry:

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 31 May 07 8:44 pm

Well done stanley. An enviable achievement. I sometimes catch myself dreaming of a lifestyle in academia but for now I'm enjoying the practical experience. I'm learning all the time. Mostly be my own accord, sometimes by mistake.

Good news - My dealer came through for me today.
Currently enjoying the subtle aromas and flavours of Prince of Wales Superior. I was going to get Russian Caravan as it's a great winter tea but this time I'm trying something new.

I'm set for the next batch of readings. One more task to get in before the term is out.

unbreakables
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by unbreakables » 31 May 07 9:37 pm

Bronzie It says coffee on the bag, you havn't strayed over to the darkside have you.

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 31 May 07 10:45 pm

No - we have a deal.

One half (the smaller) side of the shop is tea. For the cultured people. The other half of the shop is assorted coffees. They produce the revenue, being the riff raff of town while I benefit by have an assorted choice of fine teas.

I'd love a T2 in Dubbo but there just isn't enough movers and shakers here to keep it going I suppose. :wink:

jacek

Post by jacek » 31 May 07 11:10 pm

Accounting Student Here - Curtin University of Technology

Final Year

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 31 May 07 11:41 pm

Final year - Uh thats a good feeling eh? I remember that well.

I reckon if your doing 4 years the third is the hardest. So far you've come and still a long way to go. Too far to give up and everything around you is torn, leaking oil or soiling itself.

I hate third years!

Accounting huh. Stay away from Shonky. Unless you have a few mates who a law students. :?

Good luck with the final year. You have me cheering for you. :wink:

Oh, and welcome.

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 31 May 07 11:58 pm

Bronze wrote:Good luck with the final year. You have me cheering for you. :wink.
Ahh, but probably not really final year .... most likely to have CPA or CA to come ... would that be correct?

Regards
Andrew

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 01 June 07 12:06 am

Aushiker wrote:
Bronze wrote:Good luck with the final year. You have me cheering for you. :wink.
Ahh, but probably not really final year .... most likely to have CPA or CA to come ... would that be correct?

Regards
Andrew
Jhezzze - you know how to cheer a bloke up don't ya Andrew.

Student admin officer:
"Yeah, sorry mate. Misprint there. Do another one".

Team Falling Numerals

Post by Team Falling Numerals » 01 June 07 11:30 am

Aushiker wrote:

Regards
Andrew
Yep, it can be a long slog for accountants...the end of univesity merely marks the beginning of the real pain. Even deciding between CPA and CA is hard work.

TFN

Team Falling Numerals

Post by Team Falling Numerals » 01 June 07 11:36 am

Bronze wrote:Well done stanley. An enviable achievement. I sometimes catch myself dreaming of a lifestyle in academia but for now I'm enjoying the practical experience.
I used to work as a lecturer and every couple of years or so I get a yearning to get back into it so I pick up a session of casual teaching - get my fix and then go back to the real world. Its not the real academic life but close enough to remind me that the academic world has changed a lot since I was an undergraduate. :(