When can "could not log" be a find?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
McPhan
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by McPhan » 27 May 07 1:01 pm

Agree totally with c@w. (Although if you can mark your handle, #3 would be a find)

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 27 May 07 1:50 pm

caughtatwork wrote:1. Found remains of muggled cache.
DNF
<p>If there is nothing left of the cache I agree, however if the cache is capable of being logged and replaced in its original spot (as far as can be determined) then I consider that a find :)</p><p>I am aware of occasions that a cache has been confirmed as missing but the cacher has logged a find because they found the hiding place :? or placed a new container and logbook in the original hiding place then logged a find in the <i>new cache</i> :roll:. <i>Claytons</i> finds that should be DNFs IMHO </p>
caughtatwork wrote:2. Found cache with container and/or contents wrecked by elements (fire, water etc)
DNF
<p>If you can leave a log in the cache it's a find and should be followed with a <b>Needs Maintenance</b> log</p>
caughtatwork wrote:3. Found cache with no writing implement in residence and forgot your own.
DNF
<p>Agreed :). Scratch your name in blood :P. No log = No find</p>
caughtatwork wrote:4. Found cache but couldn't open it.
DNF
<p>Agreed :). No log = DNF</p>
caughtatwork wrote:5. Could see cache but couldn't reach/retrieve it.
DNF
<p> An unequivocal DNF :)</p>

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 27 May 07 2:59 pm

[quote="The situation of not being able to reach the cache is a trickier one. Being vertically and athletically challenged gives me an extra interest in this case though! :wink:

[/quote]

Definatley still a DNF. Being vertically of athletically challenged shouldn't matter. It's meant to be vertically or athletically challenging.

Damo.

Re: When can "could not log" be a find?

Post by Damo. » 27 May 07 3:15 pm

Bunya wrote:I have seen all of these logged as finds - you may have seen others.

I've seen one logged as a find after the previous finder had reported dropping it so it was impossible to reach (but they logged a find), the owners archived it, someone came along two months later not realising it was archived and replaced it so they could log a find. :roll:

If you can write in the log book you can claim a find.

I'm not going to begrudge the good samaritan who replaces a missing cache their smilie as a reward. After all, I doubt they would be replacing it if they couldn't claim it.