Caching without a GPSr

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Bunya

Caching without a GPSr

Post by Bunya » 21 May 07 4:40 pm

I just came across this thread on the other site.

It mentions one US geocacher - WaldenRun - who says he found over 2000 caches without a GPSr.

I can't even find some of my OWN caches without a GPSr :oops:

I know the odd cache can be found GPSr-less and some geocachers start out that way, but do we have any cachers who routinely find most caches sans GPS?

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 21 May 07 5:07 pm

Whoops. ok, who broke their forums???

wombles
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by wombles » 21 May 07 5:51 pm

I guess if you went through all the caches in your area, you might be able to find a few with just clues, "under a seat" makes it pretty easy for example.

I was just looking through caches in Dunedin New Zealand and realised I have a photo of myself sitting on top of a cache :oops:

Thomo

Post by Thomo » 21 May 07 6:32 pm

wombles wrote:I guess if you went through all the caches in your area, you might be able to find a few with just clues, "
I`ve done this myself quite a few times. Just by the hint and knowing the area I have been able to pretty much walk straight to it and find it. I don`t think I could do over 2000 though, he/she must be really good at reading maps and using a compass, or they have a heck of a lot of very local caches :lol:

ruzzelz
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by ruzzelz » 21 May 07 9:04 pm

I started caching GPS free and got a couple to get started. It would take one hell of a lot of google earth/maps to do this. But then if you think about it how many times do your manage to pull them out without a GPS :roll:

GeoScrubers
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by GeoScrubers » 21 May 07 9:28 pm

I found a cache once before it was a cache :shock: , no clues, co-ords http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... y&decrypt= (First log entry, before published date)

Mix
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Mix » 21 May 07 9:37 pm

I've done about a dozen Sans Sats it not that hard if you map well and think like a cacher.

Rabbitto
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Rabbitto » 21 May 07 11:42 pm

We have a set of three if you'd like to give it a try -

<p>Valley Challenge #1

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 22 May 07 2:00 am

I know a Melbourne cacher who had over 50 finds before getting a GPS. :D

Navigull
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by Navigull » 22 May 07 8:18 am

A couple of times I have done a run of 5 or so just to prove the point and that was before Google Earth. Mostly I needed the clue though. And I had the GPSr switched off in the bag, just in case.

Nowdays, if the mapping is accurate and Google Earth Image is high res in your area it can be easy. Several times lately I have identified an individual tree to look under from the GE image alone.

I have just visited Dubai/UAE and the habit there seems to be to often include a spoiler photo which usually made finding very easy.

trail_geek

Post by trail_geek » 24 May 07 12:32 am

I'm totally new to this, 8 caches in total, but all this month.

First few I was out with Team Gunn Parker to show me the ropes, i have found 5 without a GPS unit simply by using Google Earth maps and obviously selecting caches that were within reach. One was a little tricky.

Hopefully early next week will have an eTrex legend courtesy of another member :)

Cheers

Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Gunn Parker » 24 May 07 1:57 am

Back in 2002 when I first started I did not have a gps, or GE or any online maps, I bought a few topo PAPER maps, worked out where it COULD be and off I went.
I found three this way and when I did get a gps I thought that it was now too easy, silly me it's not any easier at all :)
Just good fun :)