Grrrrrr. What have they done to my coin?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
homedg
1550 or more caches found

Grrrrrr. What have they done to my coin?

Post by homedg » 15 May 07 11:04 am

Just needed to vent on a current experience.
I was given a 250th Find geo-coin as a gift when I reached that particular milestone which was very nice. After some procrastination as to whether to keep or release I decided to release it and send it on some world travels.
All was going well as the coin travelled from OZ, around the UK and then over to Ontario. We were really enjoying watching this coin travel around and finding out about the places it got to.
THEN a cacher picked it up and took it back to the UK. That's cool UNTIL.
The cacher in question couldn't find a cache so just left my coin in a temporary location with some co-ords posted in the log note. THEN they posted the trackable number in the log as well.
To me this is just irresponsible caching. I should add that this particular individual has been caching for 3 1/2 years and has over 500 finds under their belt so they should know better.
Maybe I'm just overreacting but I am going to start petitioning the government to make "Negligent trackable management" a core issue of the next election.
Ahhhh, that almost makes me feel a little bit better

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 15 May 07 11:32 am

So whats the current status?
and not sure if I'm on a bad run but two of my coins gone missing this month... I only hope they turn up after some emails I sent..
Perhaps TB dog-tags are safer...

homedg

Post by homedg » 15 May 07 12:08 pm

Only happened today. I have sent emails off to the cache owner and posted a note on the cache hoping that one of the 5 watchers will assist.
Maybe I'm overreacting, and I'm sure that the cachers intentions were good.
I just hope the coin is retrieved safely. I'd hate to lose this one. :cry:

Bunya

Re: Grrrrrr. What have they done to my coin?

Post by Bunya » 15 May 07 2:01 pm

I've seen some weird treatment of TBs and geocoins, but this one beats them all.

I've had a look at the logs and although you say:
homedg wrote:<snip>THEN a cacher picked it up and took it back to the UK. <snip>
the cacher was visiting the UK from Canada and didn't want to take the geocoin "back home" with him.

A weak excuse that doesn't justify what he did.

I'll stay tuned for developments. :?

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 15 May 07 4:09 pm

I see it has just been listed on Ebay with a "Buy it Now" price of US$89.99 :shock: : http ://listings.ebay.com/_W0QQjustesassZkiddingEXMiuoQQsocmZ

BTW you'll be pleased to know that my latest geocoin released into the wild ( a 2007 Compass Rose) was muggled in it's first cache movement.....oh, the pain. Be thankful of the fond memories you have received. :P

Send them a friendly reminder, ask for help from the local cachers and hope for the best.....at the end of the day they are only but small pieces of scrap metal :roll: :wink:

mm

nomad_penguin
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by nomad_penguin » 15 May 07 4:17 pm

Map Monkey wrote: BTW you'll be pleased to know that my latest geocoin released into the wild ( a 2007 Compass Rose) was muggled in it's first cache movement.....oh, the pain.
Me too :(. Not a Compass Rose, but same story: <a href="http://www.geocaching.com/track/details ... =944565</a>

homedg

Post by homedg » 15 May 07 8:21 pm

When I said "Back to the UK" I meant back to where the coin had already visited, not where the cacher was from. AND I'm sure the intentions were pure and they just wanted to keep the coin going on it's mission.
Anyways, now that I have breathed all day I will send a note asking the placer to edit the log to remove the Tracking no and suggest that I would be happier knowing the coin was safe and back in Ontario rather than living on the streets.

PS: Even scrap metal deserves love :roll:

THENANKS

Post by THENANKS » 15 May 07 11:01 pm

Sorry to hear about the bad travels of your "PIECE OF SCRAP METAL". I was tossing up whether to release our 1000 finds coin given to us by an "Everlasting" mate in W.A but not now. I had my only travelbug held captive for 6 months by a cacher but eventually it was released unharmed (with the help of a negotiator 8) ). It most likely will end up ok. Good luck, Cheers Mr Nanks

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 15 May 07 11:29 pm

Cest la vie. Hence why I decided not to get into them. I have three TBs and the pain they have caused me... One TB is stuck with someone in the US for 16 months and counting.

Sorry to hear about your loss. The only way to avoid it, is hang on to them. Sad but true.

homedg

Post by homedg » 15 May 07 11:44 pm

Nah, I disagree about the whole holding onto thing (generally).
We have had great fun following this one around and I still hold out great hope that it will survive and continue on it's journey.
I also get a great amount of pleasure discovering others trackables (particularly coins) and moving them along. If we all held on to them then there would be none to be found.
This one has particular significance because it was a gift and signified a milestone but at the end of the day I have often burned $10, $20, $80 of fuel just heading to and from an area to find a cache. If I burn $10 on a trackable in the meantime then I can live with that. Certainly a "Cest la vie" situation

The Rats
5000 or more caches found

Post by The Rats » 16 May 07 9:19 am

THENANKS wrote:Sorry to hear about the bad travels of your "PIECE OF SCRAP METAL". I was tossing up whether to release our 1000 finds coin given to us by an "Everlasting" mate in W.A but not now. I had my only travelbug held captive for 6 months by a cacher but eventually it was released unharmed (with the help of a negotiator 8) ). It most likely will end up ok. Good luck, Cheers Mr Nanks
<P>Like you guys I've tossed around the idea of whether I should release my 1000 finds coin. In the end I've decided to release it in the form of a "discovered it". I've encased the coin in resin and have secured it into my cache via chain. So cachers can appreciate the coin but it wont move on.

Bunya

Post by Bunya » 16 May 07 11:56 am

homedg wrote: . . . but at the end of the day I have often burned $10, $20, $80 of fuel just heading to and from an area to find a cache. If I burn $10 on a trackable in the meantime then I can live with that. Certainly a "Cest la vie" situation
I agree - and I think the fuel is a "cost" of geocaching most cachers ignore.

There is also the cost of placing a cache, given it may be lost.
I've lost two caches to floods, one to fire and one to muggles.

But back to geocoins.

I think it adds something to a cache find if there is a geocoin for you to look at and move on, so I'm happy to set them loose myself.
I have released 25 of my own coins (some local, some sent overseas) and 22 sent to me by cachers overseas to release here.
As best I can recall, these are the losses so far - four to apparent theft (all overseas) and three to muggled caches (one overseas, two in Oz).
It's sad when they are lost, but watching their movements and reading finder's comments makes up for that.

TeamAstro

Post by TeamAstro » 16 May 07 2:34 pm

This is not the first time this has occured. :oops: :shock:

Check out GCAAC0 (Mercury). http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... y&decrypt=

Read the story of the TB Wiggles plight boys and girls!

Is what happened here the same? Read the log of May 23, 2003 by RB Fam (185 found).

What would you say to him??? See what we did.

Comment please.

clear skies, Astro.

Bunya

Post by Bunya » 16 May 07 2:50 pm

TeamAstro wrote:This is not the first time this has occured. :oops: :shock:

Check out GCAAC0 (Mercury). http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... y&decrypt=

Read the story of the TB Wiggles plight boys and girls!

Is what happened here the same? Read the log of May 23, 2003 by RB Fam (185 found).

What would you say to him??? See what we did.

Comment please.

clear skies, Astro.
Well I'm not sure what to say to him - but to you we say "Well done that man" for service above and beyond the call of duty! :D

theUMP

Post by theUMP » 16 May 07 4:04 pm

I've edited the TB-dropper's log to have the public TB reference instead of the tracking number, so that should stop it being virtually kidnapped by anyone now.

Even reviewers can't relocate trackables remotely, sorry!