About as OT as you can get . . .

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Bunya

Post by Bunya » 01 May 07 4:04 pm

Having just extracted a staple stuck in the innards of a stapler I tried it again and (of course?) the next one got stuck too.
I got a new lot from the next box I could find and they were OK.
The stapler was labelled "24/6 or 26/6 staples" and the new ones were 24/6 staples.
All OK so far.

So what size were the ones that stuck? - no idea as they were already in the stapler.
Was there any way of finding out?
And what do those numbers - 24/6, 26/6 - mean anyway?

Googling got me nowhere.
Now I'm sure you're a cluey lot out there. :)

So the guts of it is: does anyone know what 24/6 actually means as a staple size?

Horus
Totally Clueless(tm)

Re: About as OT as you can get . . .

Post by Horus » 01 May 07 4:24 pm

Bunya wrote:So the guts of it is: does anyone know what 24/6 actually means as a staple size?
From the Wikipedia entry on staples -
. . . . office staples are often described as 24/6 or 26/6, where the first number is the gauge of the wire, and the second number is the length of the shank (leg) in milimeters.
So my turn to keep the thread as off topic as it started out - can you still buy Arnott's Bush Biscuits in other states? Back when I was a South Aussie lad I used to take these wonderful morsels to work with me on night shift and they kept me busy over a nice hot coffee in the middle of the night. But searches of various Supermarkets here in Tassie have just lead to frustration - anyone seen them lately?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 May 07 4:35 pm

http://www.nova919.com.au/breakfast/BRK_twimc.aspx

According to the response on that page from Arnotts, no.
If you search the Arnott's site, they don't rate a mention either.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 01 May 07 4:39 pm

Why have Arnott's never exported TimTams to their US operation?

The Yanks who've tried them pay exorbitant amounts for them at Aussie import shops when they get home, because they can't live without them once they've become addicted. (Addiction follows just one "coffee straw" experience...)

Bunya

Re: About as OT as you can get . . .

Post by Bunya » 01 May 07 4:44 pm

Horus wrote:
Bunya wrote:So the guts of it is: does anyone know what 24/6 actually means as a staple size?
From the Wikipedia entry on staples -
. . . . office staples are often described as 24/6 or 26/6, where the first number is the gauge of the wire, and the second number is the length of the shank (leg) in milimeters.
So my turn to keep the thread as off topic as it started out - can you still buy Arnott's Bush Biscuits in other states? Back when I was a South Aussie lad I used to take these wonderful morsels to work with me on night shift and they kept me busy over a nice hot coffee in the middle of the night. But searches of various Supermarkets here in Tassie have just lead to frustration - anyone seen them lately?
Thanks for the info on staples. :)

You can certainly still get Bush biscuits in South Oz - but the way our local Foodland has to keep lowering the price they can't be selling too fast.
Couldn't be the name association with a certain overseas chappie , could it? :wink:

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 01 May 07 4:45 pm

Arnotts Bush Biscuits are in abundance in SA.
And right now at Woolworths they are a whopping 29c a packet - the Woolies in Rundle Mall has half an aisle dedicated to them.
So yes.

I have 7 packets in my pantry currently and five packets at work. Should I be stocking up and "shipping"... could go in to business....

Horus
Totally Clueless(tm)

Post by Horus » 01 May 07 5:31 pm

Team Wibble wrote:Arnotts Bush Biscuits are in abundance in SA.
And right now at Woolworths they are a whopping 29c a packet - the Woolies in Rundle Mall has half an aisle dedicated to them.
So yes.

I have 7 packets in my pantry currently and five packets at work. Should I be stocking up and "shipping"... could go in to business....
Woo Hoo - I found a web page that said they had come back and it was dated August last year, so I was hoping they were still around. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a couple of packs to show the kids, it's nice to introduce them to another SA icon - Farmers Union Ice Coffee didn't go down well and Balfours Giant Sausage Rolls just got a "Um, it's just a Sausage Roll" - JUST a Sausage Roll, the youth of today :roll:

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 01 May 07 5:35 pm

On the off topic of farmers union iced coffee.

If you get a carton of it, and look on the bottom, you will find a number. This number indicates the strength of the mixture inside, ranging from 1 being the weakest, to 4 the strongest.

Bunya

Post by Bunya » 01 May 07 5:38 pm

setsujoku wrote:On the off topic of farmers union iced coffee.

If you get a carton of it, and look on the bottom, you will find a number. This number indicates the strength of the mixture inside, ranging from 1 being the weakest, to 4 the strongest.
Yeah, sure. :wink:

Are you trying to start an Urban Myth? :)

Horus
Totally Clueless(tm)

Post by Horus » 01 May 07 5:49 pm

On the off topic of Farmer's Union Iced Coffee Urban myths - I hear you can get Farmers Union Iced Coffee in Strong and Lite versions in SA - the Lite version I don't care too much about, but what's the strong stuff taste like?? Any Farmer's Union Iced Coffee fans got an opinion on it??

When I was living in WA they had (probably still have) an Iced Coffee called Brownes Iced Chill, now that was strong, they sold it over here in Tassie for about a month, I'm guessing it didn't go down very well because it hasn't been seen since :?

Bunya

Post by Bunya » 01 May 07 5:57 pm

And what about Mars Midnight bars? (covered with dark instead of milk chocolate.)

Our local shop had a big promo for these a few years ago but then they stopped selling them.

Are they still available elsewhere?

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 01 May 07 6:06 pm

Humph.
Bugger. I was hoping it was going to be a topic on sex or at the very least, VW's or perhaps tea.

setsujoku
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 01 May 07 6:13 pm

Bunya wrote:

No myth, try it for yourself, its fact.

Bunya

Post by Bunya » 01 May 07 6:16 pm

setsujoku wrote:
Bunya wrote:

No myth, try it for yourself, its fact.
ME?
Drink FUIC? :shock:

It gives me *ahem* wind.

I suppose I could check the strength of the wind . .. :wink:

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 01 May 07 6:17 pm

Bunya wrote:And what about Mars Midnight bars? (covered with dark instead of milk chocolate.)

Our local shop had a big promo for these a few years ago but then they stopped selling them.

Are they still available elsewhere?
I recently bought a bag of fun sized dark chocolate mars bars from Woolworths here on the Gold Coast, although they were just called "Dark".
They'd go nicely with a cup of tea after sex in a VW...