River Deep Mountain High - Game Thread

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 02 May 07 8:13 pm

Team Wibble wrote:Requirement 12: Mountain Cache - does the word "Peak" in the cache name count?
Good question.

12: Mountain Cache - 2 Points + (Difficulty * Terrain)
Log any physical cache that has a clear and distinct reference to a mountain or hill in the cache name. Just because the cache is placed on the side of a mountain or hill does not mean it is eligible. The name of the cache must contain the reference. e.g.. Mount Dandenong, Fitzgerald Hill, Mountain of Doom, etc.

I'm going to allow peak provided the name of the peak is in the cache name.

Flinders Peak is OK.
Peak of the night is NOT.

diesel69
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by diesel69 » 02 May 07 9:27 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
diesel69 wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:
From the rules:
http://www.cachinggames.com/rdmh/rules.php

Each requirement must be claimed against a different cache. ie. You cannot claim more than one requirement per cache.
Discrimination I say :D :twisted: , for those of us who have less than 2 unfound caches within 100kms from we should get bonus points for every cache we have to travell for :D :twisted:
Doesn't really matter I guess, probably won't get enough caches to be worthwhile. :P
http://geocaching.com.au/cache/gc121c3
That one should get you something decent.
That one is my closest unfound cache and it's still 40 kms drive but I have ignored it until now as I knew it would be more worthwhile for this comp.
caughtatwork wrote:
Me thinks you protest too much :D

(All said with in a joking manner).

Don't forget that there are prizes for being weasel cunning and being able to stay in some ladder spots, so you're not necessarily up for every single requirement to be in the running.

Protest :shock: :shock: not me Guv I just point out the facts :lol: :lol:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

(All said with in a joking manner).

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 02 May 07 11:22 pm

diesel69 wrote:
That one is my closest unfound cache and it's still 40 kms drive but I have ignored it until now as I knew it would be more worthwhile for this comp.

<p>You only have to travel 40km for an unfound cache :shock: :?: </p>
<p>I have one unfound at 53km, then have to travel 71km from home for the next one :? :roll: </p>

Cached
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 02 May 07 11:27 pm

I wouldn't leave it then - it might get further away quickly!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 May 07 10:15 am

22: Make a new Mate - Find - 2 Points + (Difficulty * Terrain)
Log any physical cache with a fellow geocacher you have never cached with before to claim this requirement. A fellow geocacher is someone who has a registered geocaching identity either on geocaching.com or Geocaching Australia and that identity was registered prior to the commencement of the game. Your logs must indicate that you were caching with your new mate and both of your logs must be entered on the same day on the same cache. Your new mate must be someone you have never been on a planned geocache hunt with before. If you have met someone co-incidentally at a cache location in the past, they are still eligible to be your new mate. If you have only ever met your new mate at a geocaching event, they are eligible to be your new mate, but you cannot claim a cache that you both find on the day of an event. If you have previously been to an event and you found another cache on the same day, they are still eligible to be your new mate. Neither of you can have previously found the cache before.

Just thought I'd put this out here. If you're planning a new mate requirement and an event and finding a mountain cache on the same day, you'll probably come unstuck as per the bold section above.

fehrgo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by fehrgo » 03 May 07 11:27 am

2: River Deep - Find - 2 Points + (Difficulty * Terrain)
Log a physical cache that has a clear and distinct reference to a waterway in the cache name. Just because the cache is placed along side a river does not mean it is eligible. The name of the cache must contain the reference. e.g.. River Bend, Along the Creek, Waterways of ..., The Mighty Murray, etc.
Does this include or exclude lakes/lagoons/billabongs/bays? I can provide specific examples if pressed :)

Cached

Post by Cached » 03 May 07 11:36 am

Will confer.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 May 07 12:13 pm

fehrgo wrote:
2: River Deep - Find - 2 Points + (Difficulty * Terrain)
Log a physical cache that has a clear and distinct reference to a waterway in the cache name. Just because the cache is placed along side a river does not mean it is eligible. The name of the cache must contain the reference. e.g.. River Bend, Along the Creek, Waterways of ..., The Mighty Murray, etc.
Does this include or exclude lakes/lagoons/billabongs/bays? I can provide specific examples if pressed :)
Cached and I have conferred:
We have used the term waterway which in our definition is a channel of water along which a ship, boat or kayak can navigate. This excludes standing pools / lakes / billabongs / bays/ etc of water even though they may be navigable they are not a channel.

Basically we're looking for a creek / river / stream / etc.

I hope that helps.

Cached

Post by Cached » 03 May 07 12:14 pm

My children, CachedScout and DevilRacerRyan have signed up to play.

They are ineligible for prizes.

fehrgo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by fehrgo » 03 May 07 2:36 pm

caughtatwork wrote: Cached and I have conferred:
We have used the term waterway which in our definition is a channel of water along which a ship, boat or kayak can navigate. This excludes standing pools / lakes / billabongs / bays/ etc of water even though they may be navigable they are not a channel.

I hope that helps.
OK, I was looking specifically at GC127A3. Due to the effort required to get there, it was worth checking first. Obviously your call.

Edit: admittedly it could still be used to fulfill other requirements.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 May 07 2:42 pm

fehrgo wrote:

I hope that helps.
OK, I was looking specifically at GC127A3. Due to the effort required to get there, it was worth checking first. Obviously your call.
If you're heading out on a boat, then why not this requirement?

17: Water Cache - Find - 2 Points + (Difficulty * Terrain)
Log any physical cache that requires the use of boat, canoe or a better than 80% chance of you getting significantly wet. The cache description must clearly state that some type of water craft is required to get to the cache or that if you approach on foot there is a good chance you will get very wet. Cache descriptions that warn of high tides are acceptable. We would like to see you get wet. That is the point really. Yes, we are evil. Drowning is not recommended.

diesel69
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by diesel69 » 03 May 07 8:08 pm

rhinogeo wrote:
diesel69 wrote:

<p>You only have to travel 40km for an unfound cache :shock: :?: </p>
<p>I have one unfound at 53km, then have to travel 71km from home for the next one :? :roll: </p>
So much for 40 km it's currently unavailable, my next closest unfound cache is just over 100km as the crow flys but at least 300km+ a ferry ride to drive to it. My closest drivable cache becomes 120km or so.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 May 07 8:31 pm

I think you need to make a new mate and get him to replace it toot sweet.

THENANKS
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by THENANKS » 05 May 07 1:03 am

fehrgo wrote:

I hope that helps.

Edit: admittedly it could still be used to fulfill other requirements.
Oh Boy , am I giving myself uppercuts for placing that cache 2 weeks ago. At the time of placing we didn't know about RDMH and did all of the bay ones as well. I just love helping out our local geocachers ??? Hey Eric, look out :shock: for the sharks in the bay. They love those Canadians paddling with a GPS. :wink:

fehrgo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by fehrgo » 05 May 07 2:49 am

THENANKS wrote:Oh Boy , am I giving myself uppercuts for placing that cache 2 weeks ago. At the time of placing we didn't know about RDMH and did all of the bay ones as well. I just love helping out our local geocachers ??? Hey Eric, look out :shock: for the sharks in the bay. They love those Canadians paddling with a GPS. :wink:
I see you were busy up on Ninderry. It must burn you to have to drive 120Km to find a cache worth doing for this :) Looks like we have some catching up to do!