River Deep Mountain High - Game Thread

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Zytheran
2000 or more caches found

Bonus Points??

Post by Zytheran » 23 June 07 12:42 am

Can I please get 5 bonus points for getting a multi, series, up a mountain, taking a photo, at sunrise, above 400m, with a 7km hike. They'll be a swaggy and a coin too.
What I really want the points for is the fact it will be -1C. :shock: And I have to get up at 5:15 to get there on time..
Obviously I don't get the "Cache with a mate" part as no-one else is quite that stupid. :oops:
If you can't spare the points, a nice bunch of flowers on my frozen corpse would be a nice touch with an honorable mention in the results?
Lofty Peaks #9, here I come..

The things we do... :lol:

four-fun
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by four-fun » 23 June 07 1:22 am

You'll get a nice view from up there as well Mr Z :twisted:

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Re: Bonus Points??

Post by Team Wibble » 23 June 07 8:28 am

Zytheran wrote:Obviously I don't get the "Cache with a mate" part as no-one else is quite that stupid. :oops:
We're quite that stupid. The only thing holding us back was the fact that we still have two other caches left in the series, otherwise we would have been there too.
Its frickin' freezing in our living room right now, Mr Bigglesworth.
Can't imagine what its like halfway up a hill :shock:

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 23 June 07 10:42 am

Who won?

JackHenry
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by JackHenry » 23 June 07 11:06 am

Minus (Yes Minus) three at Littlehampton when we stupidly got out of bed. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Zytheran

Post by Zytheran » 23 June 07 12:26 pm

At the start it was bit nippy, 5km and 200m of climb later it was about 2C..and I was a lot warmer too.

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 23 June 07 10:15 pm

Well I'm done! Thank you to the organisers of this game. I survived the challenges and the weather, tried caches that I never thought I would, discovered some amazing places and have now decided that the terrain and difficulty 3+ caches are so much more rewarding and not as hard to find as the ones rated 1 in the city. Give me no stealth any day. Much prefer a walk in the bush, an abseil down a cliff and a nice sunny day!!!! :D

Derringer
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Derringer » 23 June 07 10:59 pm

I also would like to thank the organisers of the comp.
We have had alot of fun going for the more remote caches.

I will always remember being threatened by a wild Brumby Stallion for 2 hrs in the middle of the night at Davies High Plains.
He stomped, snorted and bellowed just outside my tent, I scared him away - but he kept coming back, galloping past my minute 1 person tent and then stomping snorting etc again
After 2 hrs he must have thought he had proved his dominance to his harem, and left me in peace

Our only regret has been that having done most of the remote Victorian caches - our fuel budget could not extend to the distances we would have had to have travelled to pickup more remote caches
and have now decided that the terrain and difficulty 3+ caches are so much more rewarding
Fully agree with this comment - Our trip up to 'The Fireplace" near Tumut with DJGeodog Rascal was also a highlight.
Much prefer a walk in the bush, an abseil down a cliff and a nice sunny day!!!!
Fully agree - To all Vic Cachers - Get out in the country and place caches, not just micros - you will discover the rewards yourselves. :D

To whoever wins the comp -which looks like a 3 horse race at present -well done - You have had some amazing experiences to get the points you have.

To all other participants - I hope you have enjoyed the effort as much as we have - well done to you all

Kevin

happyharries
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by happyharries » 24 June 07 10:56 pm

We have just logged the final caches for this game.I would like to thank the organizers for the time and effort they have put in to organize and adminstrate this game over the past two months a fantastic effort. From a personal point of view it has been due to this competition that I have challenged myself to complete some caches that I simply thought I would never be able to do.I am very scared of heights but with the help of fellow caches I have been able to overcome this fear and complete some of the more difficult caches in South East Queensland.Andy from Coroy Scouts and Clive from Pirate 63 I would like to acknowledge you for your assistance as well as Wendy Womble and Angermanagement for your great company along the way.In the true spirit of competition it's not wnning a geocoin at the end of the day that counts the most it about the fantastic people you meet and the friendships you form along the way. Thankyou for inspiring me to challenge myself over the past two months.

FreeTibet
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by FreeTibet » 25 June 07 12:25 pm

G'day,
<br>
Just got a couple of questions about a few requirements.
<br><br>
I have recently had published GC13AGX which has a perfect spot for a 20L+ cache. Will it count if I upgrade the container (and make the relevant changes to the webpage)?
<br><br>
Also, I'm thinking about doing GCX3V5 Hiskins Trek for 15: Take a Stroll. I'll park nearby GCTAE1 Moodermere Magic, get the park od-ords, do both caches & come back. If it's not over 2kms, can I make some detours to ensure it's over 2kms? I can provide a track log if you wish.
<br><br>
The cutoff time for loging is midnight, Sunday morning. Just wondering when would be the latest time to enter a log and be safe that it won't be pending into next month.
<br><br>
Thanks for this competition. I'm really having a blast. It's helping me give the obsessive-compulsive part of me something to focus on. Can't wait for the next one. Any idea when the next game may start?
<br>
Cheers

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 25 June 07 5:14 pm

FreeTibet wrote:G'day,
I have recently had published GC13AGX which has a perfect spot for a 20L+ cache. Will it count if I upgrade the container (and make the relevant changes to the webpage)?
Hmmmmmm. Afraid not. The cache when it was hidden is the cache for the game, so I'm afraid you would need to submit a new cache.
FreeTibet wrote:Also, I'm thinking about doing GCX3V5 Hiskins Trek for 15: Take a Stroll. I'll park nearby GCTAE1 Moodermere Magic, get the park od-ords, do both caches & come back. If it's not over 2kms, can I make some detours to ensure it's over 2kms? I can provide a track log if you wish.
That wouldn't be in the spirit of the game. I could walk around in circles for half an hour and log a drive by.
FreeTibet wrote:The cutoff time for loging is midnight, Sunday morning. Just wondering when would be the latest time to enter a log and be safe that it won't be pending into next month.
Points and positions are calculated in real time. So as long as your last pending requirement is approved, your position on the ladder won't change. If you are in any doubt about the eligibility of a requirement that close to the end of the game , contact an admin and we can say yes or no ahead of time.

The final claims will probably all be approved Monday morning, so you'd better get them right as there will be NO chance to edit after the cutoff time. Even if you get a terrain wrong, your log will be deleted as you can't edit it.
FreeTibet wrote:Any idea when the next game may start?
When the madness of this game stops causing me headaches :-)

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 25 June 07 8:35 pm

I just submitted my final four, pending approval of course. Thanks guys/gals for a well run, fun game.

FreeTibet
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by FreeTibet » 25 June 07 10:51 pm

That wouldn't be in the spirit of the game. I could walk around in circles for half an hour and log a drive by.
<br>
<br>I'm really trying to play within the spirit of the game, but sometimes that spirit is a bit ambiguous. It seems the spirit of this one is to find a pre may 07 cache where you walk over 2kms in the process of finding it.
<br>
<br>I can appreciate that going in circles at GZ of a driveby is a bit lame, but that's clearly not what I'm looking to do. However, If you were walking at over 4kph, that would mean you've walked over 2kms and it does specify it can be a round trip from where you left your transport. :wink:
<br>
<br>
The detour I was talking about would be; for example, continuing around the trail, descending the other side of the hill and then around, not getting back to the car with 1/2km left and circumnavigating it until it's all clocked up.
<br>
<br>
It's a bit ambiguous in the requirements. It does say round trip, and doesn't mention the cache needs to be that far away from civilisation or a designated parking area. "You must walk to the cache location from the place you left your mode of transport".
<br>
<br> :idea: So does that mean I can park eg 1.1km's or more away at some arbitrary place on the road and walk :?: <br>
That would ensure it's over 2kms even if I could do it as the crow flies.
<br>
<br>

Thanks a lot for your reply :D

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 25 June 07 11:09 pm

If it's not over 2kms, can I make some detours to ensure it's over 2kms?
The spirit of the game is not to walk around such that you add distance to your track log. The spirit of the game is to find a cache where you walked 2km round trip to get it.

If you want to park more than 1km from the cache and walk 2km round trip, then sure, do it. Please post your parking co-ordinates in your justification. It will need to be clear that the cache is 2km round trip from where you parked your car.

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 25 June 07 11:26 pm

Being lazy, I have not read this whole thread, but have read this page. Looks like we in Hobart Town are not the only ones suffering from frostbite then!

Is there any way we could have this competition at a more temperature friendly time of the year? Early Autumn or Late Spring perhaps? We have a heap of mountain caches waiting for us to come and plunder them, only problem is they are buried under metres of snow, and I, for one, would do a Scott of the Antarctic, and never be seen or heard from again if I attempted them. There is a real dearth of caches that can be logged in this comp at this time of year (unless you are suicidal or mad - and I know certain cachers who are! :wink: :lol: ). Pretty please? :D