River Deep Mountain High - Game Thread

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Cached
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 25 June 07 11:28 pm

I suppose a follow on question was - would you all play even if there were no prizes?

THENANKS
1550 or more caches found

Post by THENANKS » 25 June 07 11:36 pm

Cheesy pigs wrote:Being lazy, I have not read this whole thread, but have read this page. Looks like we in Hobart Town are not the only ones suffering from frostbite then!

Is there any way we could have this competition at a more temperature friendly time of the year? Early Autumn or Late Spring perhaps? We have a heap of mountain caches waiting for us to come and plunder them, only problem is they are buried under metres of snow, and I, for one, would do a Scott of the Antarctic, and never be seen or heard from again if I attempted them. There is a real dearth of caches that can be logged in this comp at this time of year (unless you are suicidal or mad - and I know certain cachers who are! :wink: :lol: ). Pretty please? :D
Thats why we live in the Sunshine State :D ( but it is pouring with rain and tomorrow we will be freezing between 14 min and 16 max :wink: degrees :shock: )Oh well.

wombles
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by wombles » 25 June 07 11:38 pm

14-16 freezing? Tr caching at Porters Pass in NZ in the snow!

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 25 June 07 11:39 pm

Cached wrote:I suppose a follow on question was - would you all play even if there were no prizes?
I would, as it is all about the journey and not the numbers, right?? :P

THENANKS

Post by THENANKS » 25 June 07 11:49 pm

Cached wrote:I suppose a follow on question was - would you all play even if there were no prizes?
We certainly would but we wont have anything left to find that would give us big points. I heard from a little birdie that the coins are as flash as a rat with a gold tooth, so you can bet it certainly is a goal of ours.

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 25 June 07 11:50 pm

Of course - I already have several of the coins that are being donated as prizes :D Obviously being a coin addict, I wouldn't say 'no' if I was to be offered another one though! :lol: :wink:

We wanted to play this game because it's fun, and yet another reason to get us out in the bush! Vive la geocaching!

Cheesy pigs

Post by Cheesy pigs » 25 June 07 11:51 pm

THENANKS wrote:Thats why we live in the Sunshine State :D ( but it is pouring with rain and tomorrow we will be freezing between 14 min and 16 max :wink: degrees :shock: )Oh well.
Thats why we are coming up for a visit in a couple of months! :D

homedg

Post by homedg » 25 June 07 11:56 pm

PRIZES? Are there PRIZES? :shock:
Of course I would play if there were no prizes. This has made me do things and go places I may not have unless there was a reason; even if that reason was just to do as many things on the list as I could.
Round shiny stuff is very nice, but not the reason I have completed the challenges.
Let's face it, I'm a cacher so I'm probably (read:most likely) OCD. :oops:
It's ALL good!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

THENANKS

Post by THENANKS » 26 June 07 12:02 am

Cheesy pigs wrote:
THENANKS wrote:Thats why we live in the Sunshine State :D ( but it is pouring with rain and tomorrow we will be freezing between 14 min and 16 max :wink: degrees :shock: )Oh well.
Thats why we are coming up for a visit in a couple of months! :D
Very good. What sort of red carpet welcome do the "CHEESY PIGS expect when visiting a foreign state?

Dippedidooda

Post by Dippedidooda » 26 June 07 12:52 am

I've nearly finished (one to log, one to go) and I'd just like to say thank you to the organisers/administrators. (I needed the extra get-more-obsessed/competitive aspect like a hole in the head), but I have had such a brilliant time, have done caches and visited places I'm sure I wouldn't have done otherwise, (certianly not in such a short space of time!!!). have achieved peaks not thought possible, and have developed a love of winter caching (especially the long walk variety). It's so great walking along not getting overheated, no fear of snakes (being a bit of a paranoid type) and enjoying wintry scapes. As will always be the case, different times will suit different people. As for the prizes, it's not a big motivating factor for me. (The prizes are coins aren't they? I've probably only moved 5 coins in total ever but am in the process of enabling one to go with me to Ireland!). I don't know how often there are competitions - realise there was one last year, but if they occurred too often that novelty factor and resulting motivation of everyone would dissipate. Anyway thanks to all responsible - RDMH has been so well organised and run. It's got me back caching madly. OMG just realised I must be one of those mad ones CP's were referring to...

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 26 June 07 10:30 am

Is there an easy way to find out the most prolific cacher in each state. (Requirement 32)
The best I can get it is year by year only.
Probably missing the obvious somewhere..

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 26 June 07 10:32 am

Cheesy pigs wrote:Being lazy, I have not read this whole thread, but have read this page. Looks like we in Hobart Town are not the only ones suffering from frostbite then!

Is there any way we could have this competition at a more temperature friendly time of the year? Early Autumn or Late Spring perhaps? We have a heap of mountain caches waiting for us to come and plunder them, only problem is they are buried under metres of snow, and I, for one, would do a Scott of the Antarctic, and never be seen or heard from again if I attempted them. There is a real dearth of caches that can be logged in this comp at this time of year (unless you are suicidal or mad - and I know certain cachers who are! :wink: :lol: ). Pretty please? :D
But then you would be out caching anyway. This is a kind of encouragement to get out there and to places you wouldn't normally go :-) :twisted:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 26 June 07 10:36 am

Zytheran wrote:Is there an easy way to find out the most prolific cacher in each state. (Requirement 32)
The best I can get it is year by year only.
Probably missing the obvious somewhere..
Yes.
http://geocaching.com.au/
Hover of Cachers and click Stats from the navigation bar.
Takes you here:
http://www.caughtatwork.net/geocaching/graphs/
Choose a state and Ccaher Graphs, hit submit.
Look for the appropriate graph.

Or, check these for as direct link:
http://www.caughtatwork.net/geocaching/ ... p?state=WA
http://www.caughtatwork.net/geocaching/ ... p?state=WA

Cheesy pigs

Post by Cheesy pigs » 26 June 07 6:37 pm

Dippedidooda wrote:It's got me back caching madly. OMG just realised I must be one of those mad ones CP's were referring to...
Actually I meant the DDT's :wink: You realise they set a mountain cache just before they left? You remember the kind of weather just before they left? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Caughtatwork wrote:But then you would be out caching anyway. This is a kind of encouragement to get out there and to places you wouldn't normally go
Yeah, OK, you got me there. I have to thank you and the others for making this competitive so and so get off her bottom when it's freezing outside :roll: :lol:
THENANKS wrote:Very good. What sort of red carpet welcome do the "CHEESY PIGS expect when visiting a foreign state?
The very plushest, thickest and reddest red carpet welcome of course! :lol: But we will only be in very touristy areas - Hamilton Island, Airlie Beach, etc. And there aren't many caches there :cry: :cry:

Derringer

Post by Derringer » 26 June 07 9:15 pm

I suppose a follow on question was - would you all play even if there were no prizes?
For this team, it's all about the journey, challenge and location, not any pursuit of a prize or statistic.

Kevin