River Deep Mountain High - Game Thread

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
roundcircle
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

A Great Event

Post by roundcircle » 01 July 07 6:26 pm

A big think-you to the organizers of RDMH.

We had grand plans. We plotted and schemed for a ridiculously high score. But sadly it was not to be. In the end we only got half way.

I know that we had more than our fair share of letters back, pointing out that our claims did not meet the guidelines (Again! You'd think we would have tried reading the rules first.)

But we still had fun and are keen for more.

I'm sure it take lots of time to prepare and run. So again, thank-you for working so hard to let us all have fun!

pickupfamily
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by pickupfamily » 01 July 07 11:43 pm

I'd like to add my thanks to the organisers and congratulations to the winners and all of the competitors.

Particularly, congratulations to JackHenry for beating us to the "low points" position with a perfect score. Try as I might, I was unable to find a 1/1 cache in Victoria for Requirement 25 "The 4 Elements". I had nearly managed to organise a visit to SA to get one, but JackHenry got to his perfect score first (putting himself in an unassaillable position) and the trip didn't eventuate anyway.

I have to admit, after being beaten to the bottom, I lost a bit of drive in getting finished. I had however planned to do some juggling in the last few days and hours to try to nab a different prize, but ended up being too busy at work and only realised today it was all over!

This game has been a great experience for us, just like last year's was. I feel the formula is pretty much right, and we look forward to doing it all again next year. It's certainly taken us further afield than we normally go and has taken us on a few weekend family caching trips that have been very memorable. One positive out of this year's game is that we've started a new habit of taking my mum out for a drive and some caching most weekends. (Watch out for Nanaspanna coming online as a new caching login shortly.)

Congratulations to those who go for the tougher caches. I look forward to the kids being old enough to do lots of those with me, maybe in a year or two. I'll have to refine my spreadsheets again! :D

Thanks again to caughtatwork, Facitman and Cached.

Regards,
Simon
Pickupfamily Dad

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 01 July 07 11:52 pm

Hi All,

Reading from Singapore at the Qantas club tonight, and laughing out loud at some of the E-Bay auction stories - classic and well appreciated. You might not realise, but I missed the last 24 hours of the game, and in reality probably a bit more.

I am thrilled that so many have enjoyed our game, and equally thrilled that so many more finished this year than last year. When I get the chance, I'll run some real statistics and see if I can figure if it is a significant difference!

Having a great time, if you don't know about it, look for the recent thread called "Sam's European Holiday".

Cached

JackHenry
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by JackHenry » 02 July 07 12:48 am

:cry: :cry: There's nothing on my points page. I have an area that is headed SCORE but nothing in it.

I know I came last but.....:cry: :cry:

Urdera
1200 or more Caches found
1200 or more Caches found

Post by Urdera » 02 July 07 10:35 am

Tam and I would also like to give a big thankyou to all the organisers of RDMH and all the cache hiders that made it possible.

Also a big congratulations to GoCrazy for coming first you never know one day we may be able to share a beer and a yarn together.

I would like to say that we definately pushed the boundaries to new limits doing things that we would never had dreamt we could do. Some weekends we didn't even sleep finding ouselves pushing through thick scrub and vines down verticle slopes in the wee small hours, thanks Andy it was great to do this together even if you did laugh at me when I went arse up in the river.

At the same time we are pushing hard to get our 1000 caches up, we are definately looking forward for a rest soon but we are having great fun and enjoying places we would never have seen.

Happy caching
Urdera

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 02 July 07 12:13 pm

JackHenry wrote::cry: :cry: There's nothing on my points page. I have an area that is headed SCORE but nothing in it.

I know I came last but.....:cry: :cry:
http://cachinggames.com/rdmh/score.php?id=83

If you don't have the ?id=83 at the end you get nothing.
Try it from the ladder.

d.d.dudes
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by d.d.dudes » 02 July 07 6:31 pm

....and a big thanks from the gang to the organizers of RDMH! I missed out by 2 caches in planning but had a ball.Love your mind set and as the words of wisdom go, from my 11yo for the next game...."bring it!" :mrgreen:

Wingaap
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by Wingaap » 03 July 07 11:01 am

Just echoing the thoughts of others....a great competition. I was particularly impressed with the prompt response to any query.

Just wish that I'd been able to complete all the requirements. It was just a tad difficult without a gps. Long story...but let's just say....never leave you backpack (with gps inside) on the floor of the garage whilst your wife is reversing the car :(

Back to the comp....I did things I never thought I'd do eg jumping off a perfectly good cliff and dangling from a rope all in order to get a clue for a cache. A great experience on all fronts.

Thank You :D

THENANKS
1550 or more caches found

Post by THENANKS » 03 July 07 11:31 am

Wingaap wrote: Back to the comp....I did things I never thought I'd do eg jumping off a perfectly good cliff and dangling from a rope all in order to get a clue for a cache. :D
:shock: Not just once but on different days and several times each trip. I think we are looking at some new Wingers caches in his :evil: cammo :twisted: on :twisted: cliff :evil: faces :twisted: . GULP!!! :shock: Well done Bruce. Thanks for your caches stacks of us used in RDMH.

Facitman
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by Facitman » 03 July 07 6:45 pm

Hello players,

Thanks for the kind words in this thread thanking the admin's. We had fun watching the action (well I did, I think Peter and Sam did too).

It was a pleasure dealing with those playing the game, and even if sometimes I was almost in physical pain sending out yet another "This cache is ineligible as it was published after the game started" email, it was satisfying that we received not one angry, nasty or complaining response. Everyone played in the spirit of the game!

For those interested, Peter (caughtatwork) won the Administors competition hands down, he approved many more claims than either Sam or myself (yes there's a stats graph on the admin site), sent out more rejection emails, provided the game website and some administrator tool enhancements along the way. Thanks Peter.

Maybe next time I'll get closer to fulfilling 20 requirements myself

Peter

THENANKS

Post by THENANKS » 06 July 07 10:05 pm

:P So who won the fancy dress??? :P Have I missed the announcement? :oops: We would love to see the photos that were submitted. :shock:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 06 July 07 10:07 pm

The announcement is now on the ladder page.
You can get to the list now as well.
Last edited by caughtatwork on 06 July 07 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

THENANKS

Post by THENANKS » 06 July 07 10:20 pm

:oops:
Last edited by THENANKS on 06 July 07 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

THENANKS

Post by THENANKS » 06 July 07 10:21 pm

:roll: :P 8) :shock: :oops: Ooooh YAY! :oops: :shock: 8) :P :roll:

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 06 July 07 10:27 pm

The fancy dress link just takes me back to the index page?

Congratulations to the Burtons by the way... hilarious!