Can anyone help? (I need to change my username)

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Freeholder

Can anyone help? (I need to change my username)

Post by Freeholder » 03 January 09 6:16 pm

Hi peeps

I'm stumped I have created an account on GC Aust (Freebooter) no problems and have created an account on GC.com (2%er) because Freebooter was unavailable. I now wish to change my username on GC Aust but I seem to be unable to do so, Can you help?

Alternatively should I leave them as they are? and if so what name should I use in logs?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 January 09 7:42 pm

Hi Freebooter / 2%er.

I'm one of the administrators of the GCA website and I've got some bad new for you.

Here at GCA we use "nice names" when forming our URL's. e.g. http://geocaching.com.au/cacher/caughtatwork rather than something like http://geocaching.com/au/cache/index.php?userid=456781

Unfortunately there are some restrictions which are placed on the construction of a valid URL string and the character % is not valid. i.e. If you go to http://geocaching.com.au/cacher/2%er you will get back a Bad Request Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.

Fundamentally the % in your username cannot be encoded so we can't refer to it. That means we can't show you any of the cool things we have on the GCA website based on your username.

This is a regrettable position to put you in, but I would suggest that in order to fix this you change your name at geocaching.com to something that doesn't have a % (or +) in the username.

When you have done this, come back and tell me what your new user name is. What I can then do is set up your cachername and your signon name to be the same one that you use at geocaching.com

Apologies for the problems. It's something we're trying to work out how to do, but I seriously doubt that we will as the specification for encoding URLs (and the rewrite function we use) will not allow them to be used.

Freeholder

Post by Freeholder » 03 January 09 9:21 pm

Hi caughtatwork

Thanks for your reply, I have setup a new account in GC.com username
"Freeholder" and have e-mailed GC.com and asked to have the account with username "2%er" cancelled. So if you can change my username on GC Aust to "Freeholder" this would be greatly appreciated and hopefully this will make my user name the same as my cacher name.

Probably should have gone with the username TECHNOTARD as it turns out but 'Freeholder" will do fine.

Thankyou very much for doing this for me.

Kind Regards

Brian (aka Freeholder)

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 January 09 9:46 pm

Email sent and you're now set up as Freeholder.
Thanks for your patience and understanding.

Freeholder

Post by Freeholder » 03 January 09 10:39 pm

Cheers caughtatwork

thanks for your time and effort I appreciate it