Camo paint for sistema containers

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Knot_gillty
100 or more tracks walked

Camo paint for sistema containers

Post by Knot_gillty » 20 April 07 11:45 pm

Hi everyone. Just wondering what you all think is the best, or at least a good camo paint for some sistema containers i've bought. I've seen some good camo jobs on a few and was after some pointers. All feedback appreciated and no arguing about "mines better than that" please. Cheers

maccamob
10000 or more caches found

Post by maccamob » 21 April 07 12:04 am

Paint won't stick to plastic containers for very long in the weather without some sort of preparation first. In an earlier thread on a similar subject, ESP (for Easy Surface Preparation) was recommended, and seems to work well. You can get it at Bunnings, and no doubt elsewhere as well. You could also try lighly sanding the surface. After that, you can choose your paint for the place you have planned. Often, plain matt black will suffice. Otherwise, we've had a lot of success with 'Spray Stone' (made by White Knight) and also available at Bunnings. It gives a speckled finish and comes in several colour combinations.

Knot_gillty

Post by Knot_gillty » 21 April 07 12:08 am

maccamob wrote:Paint won't stick to plastic containers for very long in the weather without some sort of preparation first. In an earlier thread on a similar subject, ESP (for Easy Surface Preparation) was recommended, and seems to work well. You can get it at Bunnings, and no doubt elsewhere as well. You could also try lighly sanding the surface. After that, you can choose your paint for the place you have planned. Often, plain matt black will suffice. Otherwise, we've had a lot of success with 'Spray Stone' (made by White Knight) and also available at Bunnings. It gives a speckled finish and comes in several colour combinations.
Thanks maccamob. I've found some of your caches with the "speckled finish" and was hoping for someone to let me know about this. Great stuff it is and works well.

fehrgo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by fehrgo » 21 April 07 12:59 am

Does the spray stone handle moisture well without a top coat? I have used some on a few caches, but top coated it due to concern for moisture. It would be nice if I found out that it works fine on its own :)

maccamob

Post by maccamob » 21 April 07 8:44 am

fehrgo wrote:Does the spray stone handle moisture well without a top coat? I have used some on a few caches, but top coated it due to concern for moisture. It would be nice if I found out that it works fine on its own :)
Seems ok so far. We haven't used a top coat on any of ours. We usually put matt black on first, then the spray stone over that.

GeoScrubers
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by GeoScrubers » 21 April 07 1:28 pm

I used green paint once, not any more, it stands out too much on this brown, drought ridden land :shock:

Team Falling Numerals

Post by Team Falling Numerals » 21 April 07 1:57 pm

GeoScrubers wrote:I used green paint once, not any more, it stands out too much on this brown, drought ridden land :shock:
Only if you are in the South! It only stopped raining up here last Weekend!

We use a matt finish green spray paint on our PVC pipes. It tends to blend in quite well with most surrounds up here.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 21 April 07 2:04 pm

For sistemas the plastic seems to have some "oily" reside on it. I generally clean the container using soapy water which removes that oily feeling.

I then undercoat the container in a grey spray primer ($2.98 a can at Bunnings).

I find that if I don't prime, there are still some areas that don't stick well to the paint. Priming seems to fix that. I generally have two cans of primer, one in each hand and swirl them around the box. This gives a good overall coat and gets into areas that if I only had one can tend to get missed.

I open the sistemas and paint the lid and bottom separated with the clips opened like wings. I place both down on a brick (I have a bunch of nicely painted bricks now) and the brick on the grass. This keeps the box up above the grass blades.

When the primer is dry I take a can of mission brown and either heritage green or black (depending on my mood and spray paint supply). One in each hand and spray them both at the same time, crossing the streams such that they mix together before they hit the box.

This gives the box a nice mottled color without having any discernible lines from over spraying with a different color.

I will generally give them one primer and two or three top coats.

Plastic will always be a problem as it flexes when it's opened and closed which will cause the paint to flake off, but this is minimal.

For an ammo can, I spray the bottom of the can, wait until it's dry, then turn the whole thing the right way up and use the same method I use for the sistemas.

Team Pathfinder
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found

Post by Team Pathfinder » 21 April 07 8:02 pm

maccamob wrote:Paint won't stick to plastic containers for very long in the weather without some sort of preparation first. .
Might have to prove to be the exception to the rule on this one. We have several plastic cache boxes which have been painted by me with no preparation just cheap green paint in a couple of different shades I thought I would slap on one day. One lot of paint was actually only craft stuff that needed using up. All caches have been "in the field" for up to three years although I must add that they are in reasonably dry areas they still look as "good" as when I first painted them. If only the house would stay painted that long!! :lol:

Wingaap
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by Wingaap » 21 April 07 8:42 pm

I generally wash them down before giving them a good sand.
A primer/undercoat and two top coats. They seem to stand up reasonably well.

If

Iron chefs on so I will be brief

Post by If » 21 April 07 9:38 pm

Surface preparation is everything in the hide the Sistema (brand registered) game :)
Sandpaper is your friend 8)
For a stickier paintjob that will never let go try the water based rust proofing paints though. They seem to be that much stickier and provide a tougher coating. As an added bonus, the plastic won't rust either :D :D :D

If

Commercial break (Iron Chef)

Post by If » 21 April 07 9:58 pm

Another great surface treatment for cache containers great and small is that window caulking stuff you can buy in the tubes :DComes in many colours too. OK so at 5 to 10 dollars a pop it can be expensive. But for that special camo job is cost really a matter :o
Smear it liberally over the container surface with a putty knife and sculpt it to your hearts desire. While the layer of caulking is wet you can embed any number of additional 3D camo elements into it :D

Great for those completely invisible caches. Just grab a handful of the surrounds and stick it to the cache :D
The window caulking is extremely weather resistant too 8)

alpha993
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by alpha993 » 21 April 07 10:16 pm

1. wash in hot soapy water and let dry
2. "flame" plastic with craft lighter (use orange not blue flame to avoid melting plastic)
3. spray with matt black paint and let dry
4. spray with speckle-stone or similar

Eynowd
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Re: Camo paint for sistema containers

Post by Eynowd » 22 April 07 10:19 am

Knot_gillty wrote:Hi everyone. Just wondering what you all think is the best, or at least a good camo paint for some sistema containers i've bought. I've seen some good camo jobs on a few and was after some pointers. All feedback appreciated and no arguing about "mines better than that" please. Cheers
Like a few others have suggested, I sand my containers back to roughen up the surface.

Then I give them a solid coating of matt black paint (what I refer to as "stealth mode").

Once that's properly dry, I then put on the camo paint, which is just several colours of White Knight gloss paint that I picked up at Bunnings (oh, and my White Knight Matt Black as well).

Here's an example of a cache I hid last year (the ammo box is going out this morning...)

McPhan

Post by McPhan » 22 April 07 10:27 am

Mystery?