Wheelchair Caching

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Bronze

Wheelchair Caching

Post by Bronze » 28 February 04 4:01 am

This big hearted bloke in the US, who knew they had any, anyhow if your read the current "Today's Cacher" e-zine (http://www.todayscacher.com/people2.html) then you might have read about El Diablos web site listing wheelchair accessable caches for our rubber laying mates.

If you know of any caches which would suit a wheelchair bound cacher please be sure to email them through to Jerry at wcaccessible@yahoo.com

You can visit his site at http://www.bellsouthpwp.net/g/e/geocache/ he has a form you can fill out to if Email is not your thing.

I have listed two so far being Mugle Magic in the Warrumbungles and "Just Follow the Arrow" in Dubbo. I feel it is also a good idea to post a note on the cache page adding that a cache is suitable for wheelchair access. Include in that note El Diablos web address so wheelchair cachers can find other listed caches.

The Bronze.
The Geo-coins article was cool also.

Team Stargazer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Team Stargazer » 28 February 04 9:54 am

It would be a great help to us in deciding what caches would be suitable if we had a general idea on what are the off-road capabilities of the average wheelchair? :?

I think a listing like this is a fantastic idea & maybe even an ID of some sort could be added to a cache page identifying it as wheelchair friendly and making them easy to find in an online search.

I think my cache Hole-In-One would be suitable (anyone who's done this cache please comment), but maybe I'm way underestimating where an average wheelchair can be taken. :wink:

traineediplomat
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by traineediplomat » 28 February 04 11:55 am

I think Westside in the ACT is fairly wheelchair accessible...as is Pole Position (well you need a car to get to the top)

bmac
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by bmac » 28 February 04 5:56 pm

I adhere to the terrain rating system that I found on the ideology website (probably other places too), where a terrain rating of 1 implies wheel chair access.

bmac.

GeoQuacks
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by GeoQuacks » 28 February 04 11:06 pm

I too believe that a terrain rating of 1 star means that the cache is wheelchair accessible. This is probably why there are so many caches with one and a half stars for their rating.

Peter

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 29 February 04 9:58 pm

Yeah, 1 * should imply wheelchair access. My latest (Courage Under Fire) you could get to within about 3 feet by wheelchair but then would be blocked so I added half a star.