Swaggies - why aren't they being used?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
ozwanderers

Swaggies - why aren't they being used?

Post by ozwanderers » 03 April 07 8:15 pm

Hi all,
I'm new to this game but have watched the process since I first found out about it several months ago. About to place my first cache and I'm wondering why swaggies aren't more popular? I'm planning to put a swaggie in the cache and look forward to it moving, if only across SE Qld. But when I look at the swaggies created recently there are very few. Am I the only one who finds this side of GC interesting?
Cheers
Oz

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 April 07 8:19 pm

You're not the only one.

In all honesty the code to make swaggies work has only recently been completed, so until about 6 months ago, they were somewhat painful to create / track / edit / etc.

I hope they'll become a little more used now, and possibly a little more in about 4 weeks time.

ozwanderers

Post by ozwanderers » 03 April 07 8:25 pm

caughtatwork wrote:In all honesty the code to make swaggies work has only recently been completed, so until about 6 months ago, they were somewhat painful to create / track / edit / etc.
I hope they'll become a little more used now, and possibly a little more in about 4 weeks time.
Yes I must admit I'm still a little confused about how theymight work. I've seen reference to a tracking number but have no idea where this might be found. I intend clicking a note to my item with the swaggie's name and password and hope it works. :D Cheers Oz

ozwanderers

Post by ozwanderers » 03 April 07 8:29 pm

caughtatwork wrote:I hope they'll become a little more used now, and possibly a little more in about 4 weeks time.
Do you know something the rest of don't? Oz :?:

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 03 April 07 8:30 pm

Swaggies work well enough within Australia and the caches GCA knows about, outside of that there is a mechanism to have them work overseas, but is isn't that great (read: ordinary) ....I can say that coz I wrote it :lol:

I honestly think they have fallen off the radar in a lot of peoples eyes because of the issues that were there in the past.

Ironically, I'm not in to trackables and as a consequence I haven't actually released one into the wild as of yet. :lol:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 April 07 8:33 pm

ozwanderers wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:In all honesty the code to make swaggies work has only recently been completed, so until about 6 months ago, they were somewhat painful to create / track / edit / etc.
Yes I must admit I'm still a little confused about how theymight work. I've seen reference to a tracking number but have no idea where this might be found. I intend clicking a note to my item with the swaggie's name and password and hope it works. :D Cheers Oz
Swaggies are kind of like travel bugs, but they are totally free and you can set one up yourself.

http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Swaggie us a good place to start.

Swaggies don't have tracking numbers per se, they are tracked using the name of the swaggie or the swaggie code (the SWnnnn number that is generated when you create a swaggie).

The password is generated to ensure other people don't "virtually" move your swaggie.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 April 07 8:34 pm

ozwanderers wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:I hope they'll become a little more used now, and possibly a little more in about 4 weeks time.
Do you know something the rest of don't? Oz :?:
Always :-) :twisted:

ozwanderers

Post by ozwanderers » 03 April 07 8:34 pm

Boy I really have to work on an avatar :lol:
Thanks guys... I'll post it anyway and we'll see what happens. Oz

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 03 April 07 8:38 pm

ozwanderers wrote:I intend clicking a note to my item with the swaggie's name and password and hope it works. :D Cheers Oz

Yes, the password is what needs to be attached to it for people to log alnong with the swaggies identifying code (SWxxxx)

Where is the reference to Tracking Numbers? In the wiki? ... only GC Travel bugs have them.....

ozwanderers

Post by ozwanderers » 03 April 07 8:44 pm

CraigRat wrote: Yes, the password is what needs to be attached to it for people to log alnong with the swaggies identifying code (SWxxxx)
Where is the reference to Tracking Numbers? In the wiki? ... only GC Travel bugs have them.....
It's the SW number I was referring to. I cant see it anywhere. I logged the swaggie yesterday as Wanderoo. Oz

P.S. boy that avatar really sucks. I must try harder.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 03 April 07 8:49 pm

ozwanderers wrote: It's the SW number I was referring to. I cant see it anywhere. I logged the swaggie yesterday as Wanderoo.
when you go to that swaggies page, look in the title bar of your browser and you will see it there.

FYI: your swaggie's code is SW0063

If it is logged into an out of caches properly that code won't be required

I'll make a change to make it more prominent on the swaggies page, you're not the first to have trouble in that area.

Note: the wiki is incorrect on what to do to log a swaggie, I'll fix that also
Last edited by CraigRat on 03 April 07 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ozwanderers

Post by ozwanderers » 03 April 07 8:56 pm

Ah.. now I've got it. Thanks for the help. He goes out on Friday and I hope the cache is of interest to others. Cheers Oz.

ozwanderers

Post by ozwanderers » 03 April 07 9:06 pm

CraigRat wrote: I'll fix that also
:roll: Ummm. while you're at it :D The link to the Gallery (click here to add Gallery items) doesn't do anything except change the URL. Is this intended to be able to add an image for the swaggie or pics while he travels?
Oz

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 03 April 07 9:40 pm

Fixed, Fixed and Fixed :lol:

As you can tell, not a lot of people have used them, therefore there are the odd bug or 3 in the system

It'll be fixed on the main site when we do the next update...

And yes, you can add images to the swaggie and to any swaggie logs you make to record the journey.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 03 April 07 9:52 pm

oh, I forgot to say thanks for the feedback about the bugs, it's stuff like that that helps us improve the geocaching experiences of our users!