Birthday Cache

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
hutchtables

Birthday Cache

Post by hutchtables » 29 March 07 2:13 pm

Hi Cachers. We have only been caching since the start of this year and just love it. My kids are hooked and would have us out everyday if it were possible. Boy Hutchtable turns 10 in May and thought it would be cool to have a Birthday Cache. The idea is that someone in our area hides a cache like usual but the concept would be for cachers to find it before his birthday and put things in but not remove. For his birthday party he and his friends would then have to find the cache. He loves the bush and rocks/caves and ideally the cache would be in such an area.
The reason for this post is to
(1) See if experienced cachers think the idea will work.
(2) Make sure I am not breaking any caching ethics.
(3) Assuming that (1) and (2) are +ve then would anyone with good local knowledge of the area be interested in setting the cache.

Cheers Papa Hutchtable

Team Falling Numerals

Post by Team Falling Numerals » 29 March 07 2:38 pm

nice idea. If I was closer I would contribute - that being said...I will watch this thread...if it gets off the ground I would be happy to contribute something shiney and round for the birthday boy. I have a few shiney things lying around here.

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 29 March 07 4:32 pm

Sounds like a nice idea! :D What's stopping you from hiding it yourself?
As a temporary cache you might run into problems getting it published, caches listed on geocaching.com are expected to be in place for at least a few months. You might have to restock it after he takes his presents out!

hutchtables

Post by hutchtables » 29 March 07 4:44 pm

zactyl wrote:Sounds like a nice idea! :D What's stopping you from hiding it yourself?
As a temporary cache you might run into problems getting it published, caches listed on geocaching.com are expected to be in place for at least a few months. You might have to restock it after he takes his presents out!
I can hide it myself but I thought it would be better fun if I didn't know exactly where it was either. I will do the hide if no one else wants to.
I was fully expecting to reload it at the end in the hope that it can keep going for someonelse's birthday.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 29 March 07 5:37 pm

No guidelines issues that I can see, as long as it does continue to be a cache after the candles have been blown out!

There was one here in Perth placed by the same people who'd bought a GPSr for their BIL's birthday present. Guess he found an immediate use for it!

Maybe you could ask finders to gift-wrap their presents, just to make it clear that this was what they were intended as.

I hope you're in charge of the geocaching account so he won't see the cache before the right time. Or at least in charge of the GPSr so he can't go and find it even if he does see it on the 'nearest' list! :twisted: