Second Life

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found

Post by MtnLioness » 06 July 09 8:29 pm

My SL Name is Raushleana Cazalet if anyone wants to add me.
We should set out caches in SL, That would be sooo cool!!

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 06 July 09 9:11 pm

lioness & milkman wrote:My SL Name is Raushleana Cazalet if anyone wants to add me.
We should set out caches in SL, That would be sooo cool!!
There was this one:

http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0483

MtnLioness

Post by MtnLioness » 06 July 09 11:02 pm

WOW....This is awesome!!

I seriously want to set some up in there!!

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 06 July 09 11:19 pm

Looks like there is an actual listing site specifically for it. Link on the first page of this thread.

J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Post by J_&_J » 07 July 09 9:30 pm

I was a member of the SLgeocaching.com group for a while when I first started out in Second Life.

To be honest, I found it quite uninteresting...it just served as a way to bring people to certain areas on the grid that were either well built, or as a way to increase avatar traffic/boost sales.

It wasn't free to join their group either, and despite the fact I was a paid member, I left it soon after.

There are hundreds of far more interesting and fun things to do in SL besides looking around for a pixel box.

The virtual geocache I had listed on the GCA site had to go as I left SL for 6 months, and therefore had no land on which to keep it. I'd seriously like to bring it back, but make it much more interactive, including the use of a scripted virtual GPSr.

The main problem for me is that I am no code writer, and paying someone to do it could be very expensive, considering it'd be offered as a free service to GCA users.

Having said that, it would be great if someone reading this was a competent coder in C based languages, and prepared to learn Linden Scripting Language (LSL) to help out!

Besides, fast efficient scripters can earn good money in Second Life. They're always in demand, and a lot charge real world hourly rates.

Thistledown

Re: Second Life

Post by Thistledown » 19 July 09 5:50 pm

I'll admit, I use, and enjoy Second Life. You get to meet, and know, and talk (via text, or microphone) with folks from all over the world. There ARE some downsides, as in all things, but I've found the good far outweighs the bad. Just like in real life, you have to use some common sense. One thing to consider..it's a great way for those with physical disabilities to interact with others on an equal playing field. :)

J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Re: Second Life

Post by J_&_J » 23 December 09 4:47 pm

I've been working with a skilled scripter to develop a virtual GPS-type system in Second Life. It's still very much in the testing stage, and has the potential for a lot more features yet, but the basic pointing arrow and revolving compass rose are all working well.

It doesn't use satellites of course, but rather reacts to a script placed in the cache container.
Hopefully I'll start work on the interaction between user and container/treasure over the break.

If all goes to plan, I'll hopefully integrate it into my Virtual Geocache.