Questions from a complete newbie

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
weewillie
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Questions from a complete newbie

Post by weewillie » 24 March 07 3:53 pm

Hi All,
CAVEAT : I am completely new to Geocaching.

I have recently got a TomTom in-car navigation unit, which I've realised I can enter GPS co-ordinates into so I figure I can use it for Geo-Caching (Please let me know if I am deluding myself :roll: )

My questions are :
If I find a cache do I replace the trinket I find in it with a trinket of my own?
In the "Diff" column (after I do a search on my postcode), am I correct in assuming that the larger and more spots there are, the more difficult the cache is to find?
Is there an expectation of hiding caches? i.e. can I geocache without ever hiding a cache?

Thanks
WeeWillie

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 24 March 07 4:35 pm

Hi weewillie.

If I find a cache do I replace the trinket I find in it with a trinket of my own?
If you take one, leave one.
You are not obliged to swap, but you should log your find in the log boo in the cache.

In the "Diff" column (after I do a search on my postcode), am I correct in assuming that the larger and more spots there are, the more difficult the cache is to find?
Correct. A difficulty 5 cache is damn hard. A difficulty 1 cache you should be able to walk up to the co-ordinates and pretty much find straight away.

Is there an expectation of hiding caches? i.e. can I geocache without ever hiding a cache?
You certainly can. You are under no obligation to hide any cacher, ever.

Have a look through the wiki which may help you mo0re.
http://wiki.geocaching.com.au/wiki/Main_Page

fehrgo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Re: Questions from a complete newbie

Post by fehrgo » 24 March 07 5:28 pm

weewillie wrote:Hi All,
CAVEAT : I am completely new to Geocaching.
Hi there Weewillie! Let me welcome you to Geocaching. I see you are in my area. If you'd like to get together some time to hunt down some of the local caches, I'd be more than willing, as there are a lot over Logan way that I have not picked up yet. I could also generate a TomTom POI file of the area for you :) TomTom will add a challenge to caching, but theoretically it could work. I've found one cache using only TomTom, the problem is its tendency to constrain your position to the nearest navigable road/path. I think there are ways around that if you set it to walking mode.

There's also plenty of friendly local cachers who would also be willing to show you the ropes, if you are up for that. I have yet to meet a local cacher who was not both very helpful and friendly. Maybe if you are hunting for a new cache late at night, and are very lucky, you'll run into one of them in his pajamas :lol:

Grank

Post by Grank » 24 March 07 5:49 pm

caughtatwork wrote: In the "Diff" column (after I do a search on my postcode), am I correct in assuming that the larger and more spots there are, the more difficult the cache is to find?
Correct. A difficulty 5 cache is damn hard. A difficulty 1 cache you should be able to walk up to the co-ordinates and pretty much find straight away.
If you're new and hunting with a TOM TOM only you may need to select the cache you're looking for very carefully as it will be difficult :shock: .... but not impossible :D ; there are a few cachers out there that only use a map and a compass (i don't know how, they must be very good navigators :!: )

Possibly you could set your "navigate to destination" to the coordinates and then have the compass arrow display set to the "destination" option. Select a very easy one and look for comments in the log that indicate it is fairly easy (like "I almost drove/walked straight up to the cache " or "a drive by"). Read the hints carefully and off you go.

Oh Yeah. If you do find one for the 1st time using only a Tom Tom I (and probably others) would be interested in hearing about your success.

Happy Hunting!

weewillie
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by weewillie » 01 June 07 11:48 am

Hi All,
Sorry I meant to get back to you about using the TomTom.
I had absolutely no success with it. It was too slow to up date , no acutrate enough and the batter ran out to easily and being a built in battery could not be changed on site.
but the good news is I have managed to borrow a Garmin Fortrexx from a friend and have found 6 caches in the last week (yeah I know big number but its a start :)

weewillie

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 01 June 07 12:02 pm

Hey - We all started with one.

Congratulations and welcome. :D

Grank

Post by Grank » 01 June 07 12:26 pm

weewillie wrote: It was too slow to up date
success is easier if you can run faster than 60ks and hour :lol: pretty impressed that after a week you're almost up to my stats after two years .... it's the journey after all :D

AussieRAVer
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by AussieRAVer » 03 June 07 1:03 am

Welcome...

You can use any device that shows your CURRENT co-ordinate... tis a bit more difficult, but not impossible... I use an iCN330 NAVMAN.... but I'm looking to get a GARMIN etrex ledgend...

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 03 June 07 6:25 am

AussieRAVer wrote: .... but I'm looking to get a GARMIN etrex ledgend...
Sorry AussieRAVer. I'm already married. Second to this we do not live near one another making your goal even more difficult.

You couldn't afford me anyhow.

Stick to eBay. :wink:

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 03 June 07 10:00 am

Bronze, it is very obvious to me that you are procrastinatng!!! Back to studying!!!! (With a cup of tea of course) :lol:

Welcome to geocaching weewillie :D

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 03 June 07 4:04 pm

At 5.25am - Me studying :shock:

Yeah right. I was actually up doing my chores for the day so I could go caching.
Tell you what. Pegs are hard to use when there frozen. You go to remove them and they explode in your fingers. :wink:

Oh and btw - now I'm procrastinating.