Drool drool

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
fehrgo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Drool drool

Post by fehrgo » 22 March 07 2:09 pm

It will be mine. http://www.flashlightreviews.com/review ... -l2dce.htm

Over twice the light output of my L2T, with a similar run time, or 12 hours at around the same light output.

Mmmmm. Nummy.

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 22 March 07 4:11 pm

Wow... looks like a great torch with a good price... I only wish that it came with a rechargeable version.

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 22 March 07 4:44 pm

Fortunately my days in security are over and all I do no is advise from time to time.

This does look like a good torch and when I was working price wasn't a factor because when it was you alone in a workplace in the dark you needed good, reliable equipment that gave 100%, 100% of the time. You safety relied upon it and to save $10 here or there was not an issue. You just bought the best.

I used and still have a maglite that fits into a rechargeable holder. I spent the extra and got the highpower globe and when the time came upgraded the batteries. I use to envy the police issue equipment and then once I have the upgraded 3D mag they were envying mine for size and brightness.

The thing that is really annoying about torches is that they tend to walk. Inevitably someone likes it better than you. The best place for a small torch I think is a glove box. My security torch clips in under my bed so when I hear a noise it's there ready to light the way.

Funnily torches are an ironic thing in security. You are actually a hell of a lot safer and a better officer when you don't use your torch all the time. Just the moonlight and deviate from your regular route is the key to effective security.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 22 March 07 5:34 pm

Those Cree LEDs are, indeed, amazing. (we sell 'em to people who make miner's helmets and car domelights and such)

One nice development is that the "warm white" LEDs are getting brighter, although they're still only 1/2 to 2/3 the brightness of the "cold white" versions.

Warm white (about 3,000K, for those who care) gives more natural colours and is generally easier on the eye. More important for general lighting, but also if you're going to be using a torch for extended viewing.

Mr Emu

Post by Mr Emu » 22 March 07 9:59 pm

Just to add my 2c worth (which may in fact be more than it's worth)...

Being new to geocaching I quickly discovered that a powerful, portable torch is very handy for looking in nooks and crannies, even in the middle of the day. Essential, even. [in case my wife reads this and thinks I have taken up another "accessory sport" :wink:] I needed a new torch anyway - the big, old Dolphin was looking the worse for wear.

After initially checking out the new LED Maglights (the AA version is not widely available at this stage), I ended up buying the focusable LED Lenser "Hokus Focus". Stupid name, great torch! It is small, at approx. 5" x 1" (130 x 25 mm); it takes 3AAA batteries; and to my untrained eye seems like a bloomin' spotlight. Downside - pretty expensive. It was AUD$80 at "King of Knives" in Chadstone [better not let wife see that :oops: ], so maybe roughly similar to the Fenix. The only unknowns are battery life (they claim 100 hours, but 100 hours of what?) and long-term durability. So far, so good.

Some info from the web, FWIW: http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthr ... 977&page=1

Anyone else have drool-worthy (but ESSENTIAL :twisted: ) geocaching equipment (other than a GPSr!) that they would like to recommend?

Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found

Post by Chwiliwr » 22 March 07 10:27 pm

Mr Emu wrote: The only unknowns are battery life (they claim 100 hours, but 100 hours of what?) and long-term durability. So far, so good.
I have got two LED Lenser lights, a small V2 and a headlamp that is brighter. I got them when they first became available in Australia some years ago. (Originally they were for rogaines but now mainly work and geocaching.)

The V2 takes funny size batteries that costs about $10 to $15 when you replace the 3 of them but you get more than 50 hours of good light out of them so I think that they are worth it. You would still have a lot of light available after this so the 100 hours they claim is probably about right. I use the V2 a bit every day at work and when I checked the batteries currently in it have been there more than 4 months.

The headlamp takes 3 AAA batteries and I have never actually run the batteries out on it so don't know how long they would last. I have gone on one set of batteries over 3 nights of a weekend with it on about 8 hours continuously each night without seeing a reduction of the strength of the light at the end of the weekend.

Mr Emu

Post by Mr Emu » 22 March 07 10:35 pm

Chwiliwr wrote: ... I have gone on one set of batteries over 3 nights of a weekend with it on about 8 hours continuously each night without seeing a reduction of the strength of the light at the end of the weekend.
Sounds like you have really tested them (and YOU) out. Thanks for the feedback on battery life. I am very happy so far!

Team Jeckyl
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Team Jeckyl » 22 March 07 11:42 pm

Mr Emu wrote: Anyone else have drool-worthy (but ESSENTIAL :twisted: ) geocaching equipment (other than a GPSr!) that they would like to recommend?
We have these nifty little cap lights that just clip onto the brim of your cap. We have the 5 led versions, don't know how long the battery life is yet but they are good for walking, camping, or anything if you need your hands free. Much more comfortable than the old led 'headlights'on an elastic band! :wink: There's some on ebay but we bought ours from our local light shop.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... 0097726773

TeamAstro
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by TeamAstro » 23 March 07 11:08 pm

Bronze wrote:........
My security torch clips in under my bed so when I hear a noise it's there ready to light the way.....
Mmm... noise??? ...sure it's not those kids of yours trying to sneak around and clean up??? ... or put the kettle on for you???

Astro!

If

move towards the light

Post by If » 24 March 07 7:52 pm

My 3 year old now, 3 LED headlamp has given sterling service. On a new set of 3 AAA's you can burn possums out of the trees. After about 10hours it settles down to a very bright camp light. Takes about 120hours before the light settles down enough to shine it directly on the page of the book I'm reading without blinding myself. Seems to die around 200 hours :D Super bright LEDs combined with the right circuitry are a wonder of modern technology. You won't burn yourself if you touch them either 8)