Not a log?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Richary
8000 or more caches found

Not a log?

Post by Richary » 21 February 04 5:41 pm

I went out this afternoon to check on one of my caches that had a no find next to it. Luckily it was still in it's hiding spot so I retired over the road to the pub for a cold one (as you do). When leaving a couple of beers later I spotted a pair of cachers come up to it carrying a GPS, look in where it was hidden and take a photo of the structure it's under. But I never saw them retrieve the cache and they weren't there long enough to fill in the logbook.

Will be interested to see if they post a log, then I will confirm the logbook to make sure they weren't just really quick. I think part of the challenge, especially for an urban one, is to be able to retrieve it and replace it unseen so if they didn't grab the box I don't think they should be able to log it.

Will be deleting the log if my suspicions are correct.

C.A.S.
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by C.A.S. » 21 February 04 11:26 pm

Were there cachers driving a silver Camira a bit after 6PM?

gunnell&pandaabear
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by gunnell&pandaabear » 22 February 04 12:48 am

Richard, the team we saw grabbed the cache quickly and took it to the back of the pub to log it. When we approached them they were filling in the log and had the cache box in hand. Funny as I noticed a suzuki parked in the pub carpark.

It could be they were using the camera as a visual disguise. Will be interesting to see on the cache log.

Richary

Post by Richary » 22 February 04 1:00 am

Nope, this was about 3:30. They were on foot, walked from the city side, did the deed and kept going before turning north at Morphett Road. Have entered a note in the cache log, be interesting to see if they still log it.

I figure seeing it is one thing, but retrieving and replacing is part of the challenge. And the pub carpark is the obvious place to do the logs & swap.

Cheers

gunnell&pandaabear

Post by gunnell&pandaabear » 22 February 04 1:09 am

This was a rather busy cache today by the sound of things, we were there around 3ish and gwyndigo about 320ish. i know Freddo was also there a little earlier as we bumped into him at another site just before.

We should have popped into the pub and had an impromptu event cache!

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 22 February 04 12:14 pm

I think it comes down to; do we all want to become geo-cops (and there is a fair bit of that on the "US" groups)
The only people they are cheating are themselves, I would just say "oh well, it's their conscience."
Ultimately deleting of logs etc etc can lead to other logs dissapearing on other caches if it turns nasty. (I saw this a few years ago with a certain team that got nasty because we logged a find on a certain thing before them ?!?! A few of my finds on their caches disappeared mysteriously).
I guess if they are that keen to get a point they could always just go place a cache under a bush on the side of another meaningless road , creating yet another meaningless cache?
Last edited by Team Piggy on 22 February 04 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Slider & Smurf » 22 February 04 6:43 pm

Hey, at least you guys know it wasn't me ... or I wouldn't have logged a no find!!! :oops:

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 22 February 04 8:44 pm

I agree with the Pigmeister. I was creeping on the side of being a Geocop, questioning what other cachers were doing - but I have now seen the light.

Numbers are a personal thing. If you're worried that such and such logged a cache and maybe cheating (and may get more logs than you :o), so what. If you are being honest to yourself than more power to you. :lol:

Richary

Post by Richary » 26 February 04 11:04 pm

Actually, I tend to agree. Points don't count to me, apart from maybe local friendly rivalry with people I know. So someone has found more than me? So what, I don't intend to be the top cahcer is Oz.

Just figured it would be an interesting thing to do, on a tough cache check out logs vs what is in the book. See how many people are doing the TNLN thing but not even finding it. Seen a few "Found it" logs where the text says they couldn't. No fair I think.

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 27 February 04 1:19 pm

True.
But who are they cheating ? Us or themselves ?
I have had a few that say "found it- cache is dead bits of plastic everywhere."
They log a "found" note and then I archive it until i can maintain it, only to find it is just where I left it and in A1 condition ?
That gripes me cause it is a waste of my valuable piggy time. :?
I look at it in the way of not being a geo-cop, but if I check a cache and it doesnt have their "found" log in the notebook, I will post such onto the cache notes to let them explain it ?
Embarrasment is the best remedy !
:twisted:

Richary

Post by Richary » 29 February 04 10:03 pm

I certainly wouldn't agree with them posting cache is destroyed type messages when it's not. I guess in some cases it might be an honest mistake but not if it is the same people regularly. I have been to caches where I see things that could have been a cache but then found the real one. A case of not looking hard enough.

Should finding the remains of a cache count as a find, if it is out in the open and no way of proving it was a cache to begin with?