TNLN

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Team Hylton
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

TNLN

Post by Team Hylton » 16 March 07 8:26 am

TNLN - I have to say this is starting to drive me insane - I mean what is the point of even making a tradition cache instead of a micro when people don't even bother to do swaps - even if it just goes from one cache to another.

We make sure we have new and exciting swaps in our bag and are always adding to it and carrying it with us as we find it fun choosing what to take and the boys love it also. Only time we do TNLN is when we forget to take our bag and its to far to go back for.

So why is it becoming more and more TNLN.

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 16 March 07 8:32 am

Yeah generally we do swap things in and out, I regularly buy bulk orders of keyring torches, or mini compasses though ebay for that purpose. But sometimes I will admit I look in a cache and theres just junk there, or stuff I don't want. I have in the past leapfrogged a swap from one cache into nother and on and on, but if theres nothing of interest and its the only cache I'm doing that day I might not bother.

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 16 March 07 8:45 am

After 800+ caches, to me it's not about the swap, it's about the find and the location and about the online log.

I TNLN a lot. But I try to leave a good log online.

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 16 March 07 9:04 am

I echo Cached's comments .... I always try to write a good online log, but I don't really have uses for plastic dinosaurs these days :P

However, if I'm take my 4 y.o. nephew with me we'll usually swap .... if there's anything worth swapping (like his uncle, he's rather discerning :wink: )

TNLN, TNLNSL, TFTC........YMMV :)
Last edited by rhinogeo on 16 March 07 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Team Falling Numerals

Post by Team Falling Numerals » 16 March 07 9:08 am

I agree with Cached - its not about the swaps for us. Maybe if we took little ones caching it might be different but our kids are all grown up now.

We make swaps only occasionally but if a cache is looking a bit bare we may consider putting in a few extra goodies just to fill up empty spaces.

We have no problems with swap items leapfrogging from one cache to another - its a bit like that game where that unwantedl Christmas present is regiven to an unsuspecting soul each year.

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 16 March 07 9:15 am

mm

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by ian-and-penny » 16 March 07 9:43 am

We are the same as most of the responses so far, its not about the swaps. In fact we hardly ever take, but always put something in.

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 16 March 07 10:34 am

Same here for us. After 800+ caches, we won't generally swap something unless there's something specific we want in a cache. Otherwise, we were just building up more and more stuff at home, small toys etc that we'd never have a need for.

Lately we've gotten into the habit of buying swag type stuff from online shops that deal with geocoins etc, so we will often leave a geopin, patch, temporary tattoo etc in a a cache but will rarely take something in exchange for it.

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 16 March 07 10:54 am

G'day

I am a swapper or I just leave ... depending on the contents. That said I have a cache just for the TNLNSL crowd.

Regards
Andrew

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 16 March 07 11:59 am

I try to stock our new caches with two sorts of items: the usual shiny toys for the kids, and some stuff that might intrigue adult cachers.

In fact, I take it as a challenge to find items that will tempt the jaded palate and get a small moment of satisfaction when I see them in the online log.

As a finder, though, I don't see much point in swapping items just for the sake of it. If there's something that really catches my eye, I usually have a couple of swaps with me, and it's much more likely when MBL's with me. She's usually going through the contents while I fill in the logbook, and the phrase "Have you got anything to swap with you?" often follows!

HawMorFords
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by HawMorFords » 16 March 07 1:40 pm

It seems the HawMorFords are not alone.

We generally don't make swaps unless the kids are with us - it keeps them interested and they generally enjoy it.

In lieu of the 'geocaching box' being full of swaps these days, it is full of cache maintenance stuff. Items such as, Magnets, Gaffer's tape, liquid nails, silicone, spare cache containers and logbooks of all shapes and sizes.

We have another box with the sunscreen, mozzie repellant, spare hats, bits of hook wire, screw drivers and pliers etc....

The swaps have well and truly taken a back seat!

It also gives us a nice warm and fuzzy feeling when we do a good maintenance job on a cache that is in need. It is certainly our preference to do what we can instead of posting a 'Maintenance Required' notice.

Our way of expressing our appreciation to the owner is by way of a meaningful online log entry.

We have always tried to make an effort with our online logs and we tell the story of journey while trying to make our logs helpful to others that may come along after us.

CREWIMLOST2

Post by CREWIMLOST2 » 16 March 07 1:43 pm

I'm big on TBs. I always have one on me when out and about. If a cache has a TB I do a swap - TB for TB. If no TB I ususally TNLN.

On the other hand when I am with the kids they have just got to swap things :D, it seems the cheaper and nastier the ex maccas toy is the better they like it :?:

CREWIMLOST2

Team Rubik

Post by Team Rubik » 16 March 07 4:30 pm

I'm just glad the "SL" has been dropped, did anyone else find these two letters a redundant point to make?

Spruce Mooses
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by Spruce Mooses » 16 March 07 4:35 pm

Swapping all depends in if I have anything with me at the time. Lately we've just been leaving things and not taking, but if something takes my fancy (I love bangles) (oh and this is Shelly, not Adam) :P

Swaps make it all the more interesting for kids too, coz they actually find treasure! How else could you convince a bunch of kids to look for plastic in the bush? When I take my KUK kids, they rarely sign the log, I have to do that for them. They are way too busy deciding who's going to have what!

Facitman
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by Facitman » 16 March 07 4:35 pm

The Facit-Family have a few different "modes of operation". If Facitman is out on his own then there's a lower chance of swapping. If the whole family is out then any Mondo figures spotted in a cache is an automatic swap, s-facit is close to obsessed :) . If no Mondo then we are just as likely to add something and take nothing.
The swap we leave will probably depend on how much we liked the cache and to some extent how much effort the hider went to ie. we are more likely to add good swaps to caches in quality containers with more than a scrap of paper as a logbook.
Our logs are rarely TNLN as for us, the paper log and online logs are a key part of the enjoyment.

As Rhinogeo said, YMMV
Peter