How do YOU do it?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
ArgusTuft

How do YOU do it?

Post by ArgusTuft » 16 March 07 7:39 am

Cache, that is :D
Q1. How do you decide what cache/s to attempt and
Q2. What do you take with you when you go?

A1. I could best describe a cache hunt from a wheelies point of view. I first do two pocket queries at GC.com. First query is on "Terrain <= 1". Second query using "Wheel chair Accessible" icon. I need to do both because not all "Wheel Chair Accessible" (WCA) caches are listed as T=1 and not all T=1 caches are listed WCA. I send both queries to my e-mail as GPX files. I then do a GPX download of all NSW caches from GCA.
Once I've got all 3 files in my c:/cache/download/yyyymmdd (todays date) folder. I load a new database in GSAK and import all files in the yyyymmdd folder. This gives me ALL possible caches in NSW that are listed as WCA and/or T=1. Once in GSAK, I can sort caches on T=1 and distance from home.
I then decide on which cache/s to try by viewing the cache location in Oziexplorer. Once I've decided on which/what cache/s, I then use GSAK to upload the locations to my creaky old Magellan Meridian. I also use GSAK to generate a CacheMate file which I load on my Palm PDA/phone. I sometimes print a map of the location from OziExplorer but only if it looks like a tricky location to drive to.
The criteria I apply to a cache that has passed the WCA/T=1 test is as follows:
a. Is there SAFE parking near-by - I need to be able to lower and lift my wheel chair from/to the roof of my car without becoming a distinctive and unique hood ornament on the front of a bus.
b. Is the terrain between where I'm parked and where I think the cache is, really WCA - cycleways and walkways are terrific, crushed gravel paths and flat, mowed grass areas are OK (provided they are reasonably level) - bushbashing, mountain climbing, scuba diving aren't.
c. Once I've reached the area of the cache, is the cache itself reachable/accessible - I can reach down to the ground and up to about 2
metres with my trusty folding rubber suction capped ($7.50c at Bunnings)
remote arm. I also have my Universal Cache Retrieval Tool (UCRT) which is good for getting into long, dark gaps that are too small for my slightly-larger-than-normal fingers.
d. Can I acquire the cache, open it, sign the log, do any swaps, close it and return it to it's hidey hole without becoming a muggle magnet - most cachers can get away with pretending to picnic or tie their shoe laces or
frisbee the dog but a long white haired/bearded wheelie with a strange orange device strapped to one arm of his wheel chair (GPS), and another strange beige device (Electronic compass) that looks like something a terrorist might have, strapped to the other arm of his wheel chair, attracts attention.

A2. 1 x VN Commodore ute with WYMO wheelchair hoist
1 x Otto Bock wheelchair, black in colour for those "Stealth" caches
1 x Magellan Meridian GPS loaded with 1999 street maps of East Coast
1 x Palm Treo 650 loaded with CacheMate database
1 x Electronic Compass that EATS batteries
1 x Cache Specific Bum Bag (worn at the front for obvious reasons)
CSBB contains small First Aid kit,(Emergency Blanket, Poncho, selection of Band Aids, 2 phials of saline solution (good for rinsing stuff out of eyes)and various bits and pieces that I think I might need someday but hope I never will)). There is also a small pair of binocculars (handy for micros), the previously mentioned UCRT (which can be bent or straightened as circumstances dictate), a multy purpose Belkin biro, stylus, red laser pointer and white LED torch, 2 spare batteries for the GPS, a couple of small zip lock bags, a small spiral note book and pencil (for cache maintenance), various swap items (mostly coins from places I've visited (some of which no longer exist) and a ready prepared cache in case I find an ideal location for one.

ArgusTuft
(Try NOT to feed the maggots)
Last edited by ArgusTuft on 16 March 07 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geodes

Post by Geodes » 16 March 07 11:00 am

During my spare time, I've tentatively mapped out various expeditions which cover a range of caches at the edges of my cleared area. If/when I get the opportunity, I just tend to see which way I feel like going, how long I've got, pick up my geopack and head off. My geopack holds maps, compass, batteries, small binoculars, headlamp, camera, notebook, pens, swaps, etc and usually just needs the addition of a drink bottle, some nibbles, my pda and phone to be ready (depends on whether I'm taking my motorbike or car). A TomTom and GPSr go with me everywhere anyway, so I didn't include them [:)].
<P>
I was rather interested to see your post - I've often wondered about how mobile wheelchair geocachers actually are. I've always tended to make my caches 1.5 terrain if they're at ground level, even when they are very easy to walk to - saves getting hassled by the reviewers about wheelchair accessibility, but if I can assume that someone in a wheelchair can search for and pick up something at ground level if they can get within, say, 2 or 3 ft of it, then I'll change the ratings of some of mine and add the WCA attribute.
<P>
Is this reasonable - can I assume that most wheelchair bound cachers will be able to do this?

Spruce Mooses
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by Spruce Mooses » 16 March 07 4:26 pm

A1.
We'll usually have somthing else to do with our day and then find any caches that are in the area before or after whatever it is we're doing. Some days we'll just choose an area around town we haven't cached in a while and head out that way for te day.
If a decent drive is on the cards, Shelly will type a checklist of caches we'll be passing and if they are a multi or traditional and ratings, so if we're short on time we know which ones to avoid etc.

A2.
Blue Sparkly Etrex Legend (most important)
Cache bag stocked with swaps, stamp, pens, notepad and lollypop (just in case)
Laptop computer, now with a power inverter so it can be charged in the car
The MooseMobile (Toyota Echo with moose in back) Or The SpruceMobile (Green Volvo)
Adams whiz bang in car computer if we're on a longer trip and it's worth the effort putting it in.

Same with Geodes, I'm wondering if I should put the Wheelchair accessible symbol on some of our caches. My issue was that some people with wheelchairs can go lots of places and some not very many, and then there is the level of ability at being able to retrieve the cache. Should I assume that Wheelchair cachers are pretty active and able if they are into the sport? or if I do use the symbol, explain the level of wheelchair access/ terrain etc a bit better?
In the past i've worked on the basis that if one of the wheelchair kids I work with could get to it on their own then I'd mark it as wheelchair accessible. The problem there was that they are not nearly as able as ArgusTuft!

Thomo

Post by Thomo » 16 March 07 8:34 pm

I usually take a back pack out with me when I`m on the hunt.
It consists of a - waterbottle, a complete cache in case I find somewhere good along the way to place one, spare stuff to fix damaged or items that need replacing in caches (spare log book, pens, pencils, zip lock bags, a spare container, log sheets/pads, info sheets etc.), some swaps, EPIRB, snake bandage and sling, and a few small first aid item and sunscreen.
Only ususally take the back pack if there is a bit of a walk or a hike involved, otherwise its just a bumbag with some swaps, snake bandage, spare pens etc., and the Gps holder clips on to the bumbag.

As for which ones I hunt for, I do a pocket query for a 10-20km radius of the area I`ll be going to a day or 2 before I head there, and choose the caches that have had the last couple logs as finds. I have found nearly all of the local caches, and finds are getting further and further away.
I now have to travel over 40km to find a cache, so have to plan it a bit better, and don`t really want to be wasting my time looking for something that may have been muggled, so I make sure the last log was a find. Also I like to look for the ones that are in places of some interest or significance, and search for micros and the ones in high traffic areas if I have a bit of time left up my sleeve.

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 16 March 07 9:08 pm

1. Does the cache hold any interest for me? Like, is it related to the history of the area? Is it a challanging bushwalk? An Area I have always wanted to visit?

I don't do caches just for the sake of caching anymore. There has to be a good reason for me to want to do a cache these days. There are a lot of lame caches out there. I have been guilty of it in the past myself, but now it is quality not quantity. I have a list of caches that I want to do, just getting the time to do them is the key now. I use to have a 30klm circle around home in which there was not an unfound cache by me..... now there is 43 out of which about 5 appeal to me, and there is the cache 2klms away that for some strange reason the owner blieves is a Civil War site replica, well he does drive a green jeep with a confederate flag on it..... bt no appeal for me, he actually managed to snooker me out of a cache position that I had planning on using, a water cache relating to the original bridge across the Hawkesbury at North Richmond, the wooden pylons are still in position just below water level, now a cache relating to that I would have done same day, local history.

As for GCA caches, there are a few there that I am interested, but once again is there interest there for me?

Ok off my soapbox,

2. What do I take? If I am lucky maybe my GPS and a pen, definately my camera these days. I don't lug my GPS around with me much these days, so oppotunity caching is a rarity for me now. And since I am not a paying supporter of the gc.com site, it is a pain for me to keep up to date with the caches listed thereIf I am with a certain frog I know he will have atleast a a trio of GPS units on hand.

wombles
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by wombles » 16 March 07 11:10 pm

I look for caches along the way to somewhere I'm already going. I don't have a car so most of the caches I have done are close to public transport. I have been known to plan our bookcrossing meetups at cafes etc where I know I can look for a cache nearby. A few times now I have taken 1,2 or 3 of the kids out for the day to look for caches, again near transport, mostly the trainline.

What do I take? My GPS, sometimes a map (I've found the transport dept Translink directory good for this, it doesn't have as much detail as a UBD but it's a lot lighter!) Water,sunscreen, swaps, a hat, my little very bright keyring light(an energiser one attached to my GPS), a glove (scared of spiders!) , a small notepad, a pen (a mini sharpie attached to my GPS), a poncho rainjacket (little tiny fold up one), bandaids, ventolin,panadol, and tissues, and of course my camera. I used to take my MP3 player too but it's maybe not the safest thing to do these days, being female!

Oh I also take Bookcrossing books to release along the way.

AussieRAVer
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by AussieRAVer » 16 March 07 11:12 pm

1. I tend to look at Google Earth and try to do a few in a row, sort of plan out a day of finds... I'll then go and have a look to see what/where I should be looking and convince my wife and kids that it will be a fun day out walking...

2. I take the kids usually and my GPS.. Pen, printouts, swap items....

ArgusTuft

Post by ArgusTuft » 24 March 07 10:36 pm

Geodes wrote: I was rather interested to see your post - I've often wondered about how mobile wheelchair geocachers actually are. I've always tended to make my caches 1.5 terrain if they're at ground level, even when they are very easy to walk to - saves getting hassled by the reviewers about wheelchair accessibility, but if I can assume that someone in a wheelchair can search for and pick up something at ground level if they can get within, say, 2 or 3 ft of it, then I'll change the ratings of some of mine and add the WCA attribute.
<P>
Is this reasonable - can I assume that most wheelchair bound cachers will be able to do this?
I'm not indicative of All wheelies by any means. There are 1001 reasons why a person uses a wheelchair. My reason is I'm an above-knee amputee and not suitable for a prothesis. I have full use of both arms and hands and as mentally competent as any 58 year old ex-sailor with a weird sense of humour can be :lol: . If you read the Help section of the cache-page Difficulty/Terrain selection criteria, a Terrain difficulty of 1 says that the cache is accessable by a handicapped person. The Disabled icon shows a symbolic person in a wheelchair but keep in mind that NOT ALL disabled people need a wheelchair. Some wheelies also have a buddy that may help them in their search for the holy grail.
All my caches are T1 and WCA because I figure that if a wheelie hid it, it should be WCA :)

ArgusTuft

Post by ArgusTuft » 24 March 07 11:06 pm

Spruce Mooses wrote: In the past i've worked on the basis that if one of the wheelchair kids I work with could get to it on their own then I'd mark it as wheelchair accessible. The problem there was that they are not nearly as able as ArgusTuft!
<scratch_in_dirt_with_remaing_foot>
Ah shucks
</scratch_in_dirt_with_remaing_foot>
As previously stated, I'm not at all indicative of ALL wheelies. I have several thoughts on the Difficulty/Terrain ratings of MY caches. The Terrain rating has to be 1 to be WCA. I figure that if a cache is set up by a wheelie then it must be WCA but NOT ALL wheelies/disabled people might be capable of doing it. If there is any doubt as to the Terrain rating then try being a little more verbose in the general description without making it TOO easy. Also be ready for a plethera of "Nice and easy cache, TNLNSL" log entries. Of course it's a "nice and easy"cache if you have all your limbs and mental facilities, just try reading the description to find out "WHY"
</rant_mode> :roll:

Team Hylton
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Hylton » 25 March 07 9:19 pm

Q1. How do you decide what cache/s to attempt

Well I'm always looking each day and reading logs to get an idea of how easy it is and how hard to get to it. As we have 2 small children (4 and now 3yo) we need short distance caches that are not to hard for them to walk - which is why alot of my caches are very kid friendly, as they are always with us. Also they need to be done in 30 mins or the kids get bored and start getting annoying.

When we finally have time to go (usually weekends) I will go and find the caches I have been reading and mental put ticks to and write their names down so I know what to pick on the Tom Tom.

My DH updates the tomtom and pda each fortnight or so (as in the country there are not many new caches) and they are then left in the car and always ready to go incase I find myself close by and have 30 minutes or so.

Q2. What do you take with you when you go?

Magellan 100
Tom Tom
Compaq PDA
Backpack - this has bottle of water, first aid kit, some made up caches incase I am somewhere I think needs a cache (bag is always in the car), lots of different swaps, travel bugs and coins we have at the time, raincoats, torch, insect repellant, sunscreen and things to repair any damaged caches, notebook and pencils.
In Car for day - 4L of water container and cups, normally a esky for some snacks and maybe lunch (kids are always hungary), mobile phone (if we are going somewhere with little population we send co-ords to father in law where we start and then message back when we get back to a major road for safety).

I have to say I love seeing a cacher who loves geocaching, is active geocaching and is in a wheelchair.

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 25 March 07 9:29 pm

A1: We generally pick an area with the most unfound caches in it and head to that spot for our caching expeditions. The ones of about 3 star terrain and above get left for me (Mr Garner) to do by myself, or at least without the kids. We've pretty much done all the caches around Brisbane, so we just keep mopping up the new ones as they come out.
When we're traveling we plan our stops at caches, i.e. we make frequent stops, although we often don't stop for much longer than it takes to do the nearby cache.

A2: We have a backpack stocked & ready to go at all times. In it is a first aid kit, ice pack (one of those that you press to activate), toilet paper, notebook, lots of swaps, spare GPSr, torch, pens, spare log books, zip lock bags, plastic bags, UV light (which has come in handy), camera, knife... oh and lots of other stuff too... this bag goes to every cache with us.

wombles
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by wombles » 26 March 07 3:17 pm

Some good ideas here from reading everyones replies. After a caching trip yesterday I decided I need to add to my backpack, a packets of handy wet wipes, a hand towel, and some bugbite soothing spray.

We don't have a car so everything comes down to weight with us, depending on how many children I have to share the weight :)