Why list a cache on GCA rather than GC

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 03 March 07 7:37 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Try Wydham Lights 2006. GCHB4Y. December 2006. Only some two - three months old. Got another point?
Ummm.... that cache was published in 2003!???!??

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 03 March 07 7:41 pm

wombles wrote:I've always wondered why there aren't more GCA caches?
If you are familiar with the I.T world, a good analogy is Windows/Linux

A lot of people list on GC coz it's what they know/its where the majority of cachers list. It's what they know. They are happy to let a commercial company control the game and set the rules(Windows)

Others like myself list here because we prefer the philosophy of 'Free and Open'... let the users control the data...shape the game at they see fit..(Linux)

The complaints about locationless are valid (some are quite lame) BUT: Some people do them and therefore People Want them... who are we to say they can't????

With freedom comes things not every one want to do/see/hear, but they still have a right to exist (Apple???? :lol:) so therefore we need to allow those caches that don't meet groundspeak's requirements... you can't have 'Free and Open except for ....'

There are numerous GCA caches I won't do for various reasons (we will soon have an ignore list to make ignoring them even easier :lol:) but other people do them without ANY hesitation, and they seem to enjoy them..

In the end it's each to their own.... the people who are anti-GCA listings just need not click on the 'GCA Caches' tab and they shouldn't have anything to get upset over... and yet......

Don't Like, Don't Do - no-one is holding a gun to your head.
Last edited by CraigRat on 03 March 07 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 03 March 07 7:44 pm

Interesting footnote to my bad Operating System analogy:
Guess what operating systems GC runs on and what GCA runs on??.... :lol:

Total fluke... I swear..!

Bronze, got any Penguin Tea Pots???

Facitman
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by Facitman » 03 March 07 7:50 pm

Now now, soon we'll need another teapot. :D

GCA offers cache types not supported on GC, eg moveables (except those grandfathered ones) and GCA includes specific functionality to support this and that's great (IMHO).

I have never found a virtual or webcam cache, *my* idea of caching is finding a box. But to each their own. I do think that GC would still be allowing these types if they hadn't come up with the idea of waymarking, I think it was the driver of the change (again my opinion only). (Interesting that they reversed the Earthcache listing decision, failed on waymarking????)

I will find physical caches on both sites, I know of people who won't because they want a single location for their statistics.

Now, let's all go find a box

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 03 March 07 7:54 pm

Facitman wrote:GCA offers cache types not supported on GC, eg moveables (except those grandfathered ones) and GCA includes specific functionality to support this and that's great (IMHO).
As of next release we will also support Podcaches too...

Mix
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Mix » 03 March 07 8:04 pm

If Operating Systems Ran The Airlines...

UNIX Airways

Everyone brings one piece of the plane along when they come to the airport. They all go out on the runway and put the plane together piece by piece, arguing non-stop about what kind of plane they are supposed to be building.

Air DOS

Everybody pushes the airplane until it glides, then they jump on and let the plane coast until it hits the ground again. Then they push again, jump on again, and so on...

Mac Airlines

All the stewards, captains, baggage handlers, and ticket agents look and act exactly the same. Every time you ask questions about details, you are gently but firmly told that you don't need to know, don't want to know, and everything will be done for you without your ever having to know, so just shut up.

Windows Air

The terminal is pretty and colourful, with friendly stewards, easy baggage check and boarding, and a smooth take-off. After about 10 minutes in the air, the plane explodes with no warning whatsoever.

Windows NT Air

Just like Windows Air, but costs more, uses much bigger planes, and takes out all the other aircraft within a 40-mile radius when it explodes.

Windows XP Air

You turn up at the airport,which is under contract to only allow XP Air planes. All the aircraft are identical, brightly coloured and three times as big as they need to be. The signs are huge and all point the same way. Whichever way you go, someone pops up dressed in a cloak and pointed hat insisting you follow him. Your luggage and clothes are taken off you and replaced with an XP Air suit and suitcase identical to everyone around you as this is included in the exorbitant ticket cost. The aircraft will not take off until you have signed a contract. The inflight entertainment promised turns out to be the same Mickey Mouse cartoon repeated over and over again. You have to phone your travel agent before you can have a meal or drink. You are searched regularly throughout the flight. If you go to the toilet twice or more you get charged for a new ticket. No matter what destination you booked you will always end up crash landing at Whistler in Canada.

Linux Air

Disgruntled employees of all the other OS airlines decide to start their own airline. They build the planes, ticket counters, and pave the runways themselves. They charge a small fee to cover the cost of printing the ticket, but you can also download and print the ticket yourself.

When you board the plane, you are given a seat, four bolts, a wrench and a copy of the seat-HOWTO.html. Once settled, the fully adjustable seat is very comfortable, the plane leaves and arrives on time without a single problem, the in-flight meal is wonderful. You try to tell customers of the other airlines about the great trip, but all they can say is, "You had to do what with the seat?"

The Garner Family

Post by The Garner Family » 03 March 07 8:05 pm

Oh and I just want to say: To all the hard working individuals that keep GCA running & make all the improvements... you are doing a great job, keep up the good work.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by CraigRat » 03 March 07 8:27 pm

Mix wrote:If Operating Systems Ran The Airlines...
THAT is going on my wall at work.... it's all a bit too true!! :lol: :lol:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 March 07 9:26 pm

The Garner Family wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:Try Wydham Lights 2006. GCHB4Y. December 2006. Only some two - three months old. Got another point?
Ummm.... that cache was published in 2003!???!??
That cache goes into hibernation for 11 months of every year and was resurrected in December 2006. I concede that it was first published in 2006, but it gets a new "hidden date" each year.

Interesting that some of the "non cache" type caches get found by the most prolific cachers in the country each year.

Kind of indicates that they like them, so if they can't get their requirement at GC, we offer it at GCA.

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 03 March 07 9:29 pm

If Operating Systems Ran The Airlines...
That is definatly a great piece of text, havent seen that before

Couldnt be more true (though this is being typed on a Dell (which forces MS on you, well until recently anyway) laptop, running windows XP, on a windows 2003 domain, going through a MS ISA server, receiving e-mails from exchange, running office 2007), kind of ironic isnt it :?

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 03 March 07 10:12 pm

Bear_Left wrote:I think it's a bit sad when a cache that I've refused to publish (as theUMP, of course, not as Papa Bear_Left) for what seem like good reasons, then shows up as a GCA cache. This shouldn't be the dumping ground for failed GC caches.
If what I have heard the other night, that GC is not going to allow for puzzle caches that don't require a GPSr, i.e. those that use a verbal description of the final location, then expect a few high quality caches heading to GCA.
This has been my worst year by far for trying to get caches approved on GC and I'm getting sick of it.
Starting last year I decided to design more caches that could be done without an expensive (for some) GPSr. People like treasure hunts and they don't want to faff around with stamps etc. doing letterboxing. Geocaching was one hobby where you could design an interesting puzzle and people could solve it without a GPSr and then go and hunt for something. They could get close enough using free Google Earth / Maps.
Now it appears they can't because of the wankers who insist on more rules. :evil:
Evidently caching isn't for poor people if you live in the USA.. :?:

I hope what I heard was wrong..

The Garner Family

Post by The Garner Family » 03 March 07 11:03 pm

Zytheran wrote:I hope what I heard was wrong..
I hope what you heard is *right*. Geocaching is about using a GPSr to find stuff... Other puzzles, as clever and as entertaining as they may be, are not geocaching.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 04 March 07 12:38 am

A really big difference between gca and gc is it is possible to have a passionate discussion in the forums here and not have it quickly degrade to personal attacks and sniping!
People have differences of opinion and that is fine.

Some people who play the game competitively to increase their find numbers don't do gca caches because they don't count towards their finds on gc.com.

That is their right. They might be missing out on some good caches but that's their choice.

Just like I can choose to ignore crap caches which have been 'dumped' on gca, just as easily as I can choose to ignore crap caches which have been 'reviewed' on gc.com
Geocaching is about using a GPSr to find stuff... Other puzzles, as clever and as entertaining as they may be, are not geocaching.
The ability to pinpoint a coordinate on a map makes every "traditional" on the planet findable without a GPSr.

Games evolve. The first Geocache (or GPS Stash Hunt to be exact) was buried in a hole and had food in it. I imagine if I listed a cache as a "Large bucket buried in a hole with the lid at ground level'' it would be declined with a comment that "we don't bury caches" yet Dave Ulmer's cache is celebrated by Groundspeak with a plaque.

Groundspeak didn't create Geocaching. Groundspeak didn't create the terms "Geocache" or "Geocaching".

Groundspeak did create an easy to use worldwide listing directory (originally by taking the data from another site) which has done a great deal to spread this game around the world and create somewhat of a global community around it. And they do a good job. But they also place restrictions on what they list. Most of it for very good reason, some of it for not such good reasons.

Newcomers to the game should be aware that there are other listings sites, and since the birth of the game there have always been other listing sites.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 04 March 07 1:46 am

Zytheran wrote:If what I have heard the other night, that GC is not going to allow for puzzle caches that don't require a GPSr, i.e. those that use a verbal description of the final location
Nothing new there. It was certainly in the last set of guidelines (from 2005) and I think it was in the one before that, at least.

Sure, you can find some caches these days (especially (sub)urban ones) without a GPSr, but GPS is part of the structure of the whole game, surely?

Should I be allowed to go to a golf course and kick the ball around the holes because I can't afford the clubs?

McPhan
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by McPhan » 04 March 07 6:29 am

Bear_Left wrote:Should I be allowed to go to a golf course and kick the ball around the holes because I can't afford the clubs?
Julius Marlowes are the only way I get anywhere near par! :lol: :lol: :lol: