OT: Parenting

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 02 March 07 2:01 pm

I came late to this parenting caper having never had kids of my own, but when I moved in with Fab about 15 months ago it came with a steep learning curve. Her kids are currently 6, 11 and 14.<p>Yes, it can be very frustrating at times as they won't listen, wait for anything or remember things on their own. But I have found a few ways to get the point across.<p>Fighting over the Playstation - always happens due to the age difference and desire for different games. But they seem to have been better after I threatened to eBay the thing.<p>The 11 yo likes leaving his cricket bat just dropped on the back lawn. Leaving it sticking out of the bin one afternoon gave him a hint that wasn't where it lived.<p>For me, the children were a choice I had when I decided I wanted to be with this girl, and for someone with no experience I seem to have taken to it pretty well. And of course there are the times it is very rewarding - the love the kids can show you at times as well is pretty amazing.

Waterwells
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by Waterwells » 02 March 07 4:03 pm

Haha - this brought back a memory of when our own boys were 8 and 9. .. :lol:

They'd get a glass of cordial each and leave the empty glass on the sink. Half an hour later, another glass of cordial was the order of the day ..... and yes, a fresh glass each, retrieved from the cupboard.

Needless to say, the dirty glasses kept stacking up on the kitchen sink, and no amount of cajoling, threatening (and dare I say, begging?) lured them into 'washing up and using the same glass' for their cordial!

Aha!! Last laugh!! ... It was hilarious listening to them at 7.00am one morning, whilst 'he and moi', were still languishing in bed.

It sort of went like this ...........................

Says 8 year old to his sleepy 9 year old brother ....... "Where are the clean glasses?"

Sleepy 9 year old says to his 8 year old younger brother ..... "In the cupboard".

"No, they're not ... and there aren't any on the sink either!"

A few minutes later, we heard the back door open ...... and then we heard the kitchen tap running ... and when we eventually emerged, every glass had been washed and all were back, shiny clean, in the kitchen cupboard.

(After our two darlings had gone to bed, I'd taken all their dirty glasses from the sink, and lined them up along the back verandah! :wink: )

The aforementioned 8 and 9 year olds, are now 32 and 33 years old ... and to this day, they still wash their glasses, immediately after using them! :D

* Hmmm, not sure about the tonka trucks though, lawn mower blades may be a tad expensive?? .. :wink:

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 02 March 07 4:50 pm

He he -

I thought you guys would like this thread. Apologies it's not all Geocaching but it's interesting all the same.

The real test will come when tomorrow morning I ask the boys to tidy their rooms.
I'm enjoying peoples posts with regards to raising kids. I know I'm not Robinson Crusoe and many people have been here and done that before me but when it's you in the middle sometimes there don't seem to be a lot of options.

We are blessed with three beautiful boys and I might emotionally scar them but at least they will know between right and wrong and to do what is asked when asked.

The magpie, yes there is only one. The trampoline is very strategically placed because we have difficulty with some of their friends that enjoy visiting and teaching out kids new words, so the tin fence and glass table is for their benefit. Not intentionally but now you mention it I'll leave it there for the time being just in case.

The worst news of all.

My jug has sprung a leak. It's a thermocolour Russell Hobb one too. I'm lost for how I'm going to get through the weekend. Looks like the billy from the shed is going onto the stove.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 02 March 07 5:06 pm

Bronze wrote: The worst news of all.
My jug has sprung a leak. It's a thermocolour Russell Hobb one too. I'm lost for how I'm going to get through the weekend. Looks like the billy from the shed is going onto the stove.
Does your therapist have a 1800 number :lol: :wink:

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 02 March 07 5:13 pm

A prezzy for a mate :!:
[/url]Image For something to boil your water for the daily tea look here http://www.usedkettles.net/ the 150 is a beaut :wink:

Team Rubik

Post by Team Rubik » 02 March 07 5:32 pm

Please promise you will keep a copy of this entire post for the boys' 21st birthdays, or for when they have kids of their own. Priceless! :P

Wingaap
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by Wingaap » 02 March 07 5:54 pm

You think your jug sprung a leak

Could it be that the children have sought revenge for you running the mower over their favourite toys? :twisted:

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 02 March 07 6:59 pm

Breaking news " the victa has been sold to support tea pot insurance, now looking for a team of 6 or less grasshoppers on a weekly contract" :shock:

listmaker
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by listmaker » 02 March 07 10:58 pm

Rather than destroying things, I prefer the "bag and hide" method.

I ask nicely, and if it it's not done within what I consider to be a reasonable time, whatever is in the way is chucked in a big rubbish bag, to be hidden, binned or sent to the op shop at my discretion.

My 22 year old, the eldest, can be slack with putting washing out, so that is either chucked in a nice, big pile on top of his bed, which he hates, or I bag it and leave it dirty in the laundry until he runs out of clothes. :twisted:

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 03 March 07 1:21 am

listmaker wrote:Rather than destroying things, I prefer the "bag and hide" method.

My 22 year old, the eldest, can be slack with putting washing out, so that is either chucked in a nice, big pile on top of his bed, which he hates, or I bag it and leave it dirty in the laundry until he runs out of clothes. :twisted:
Begs the question - why are you still doing the washing of the 22yo!

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 03 March 07 8:03 am

Cached wrote:
listmaker wrote:Rather than destroying things, I prefer the "bag and hide" method.

Precisely. My mum's rules were once you were tall enough to reach the dials on the washing machine, you were old enough to learn how to use it and you were responsible for your own washing. If you ran out of clean clothes it was your own fault.

TeamAstro
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by TeamAstro » 03 March 07 9:44 am

Nice gutsy move. Understanding partner too by the looks.

Suggestion: move the trampoline over a fraction so a corner of the washing line is over the tramp. They can then help bring the washing in, or indeed help peg it up (pegs already waiting). Nice.

clear skies, Astro.

listmaker
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by listmaker » 03 March 07 9:31 pm

Team Wibble wrote:
Cached wrote:

Precisely. My mum's rules were once you were tall enough to reach the dials on the washing machine, you were old enough to learn how to use it and you were responsible for your own washing. If you ran out of clean clothes it was your own fault.
Why?
1. front loading washing machine takes an hour and a half to complete one load of washing which means I'd have to wait in line to use it!
2. water restrictions - I use a lot less water by chucking everyone's stuff in at the same time and only washing full loads.
3. I hate the mess in the laundry.
4. He's spoilt??

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 03 March 07 9:46 pm

listmaker wrote:Why?
1. front loading washing machine takes an hour and a half to complete one load of washing which means I'd have to wait in line to use it!
2. water restrictions - I use a lot less water by chucking everyone's stuff in at the same time and only washing full loads.
3. I hate the mess in the laundry.
4. He's spoilt??
Sounds like my Brother in Law..... he's now 31 and getting the 5 star treatment....hasn't left home or gone and got a job....YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED :lol:

Wish I was joking

HE needs his toys law mower'd..... he's got more stuff than I :shock:

president & 1st lady
1250 or more geocaches found
1250 or more geocaches found

Post by president & 1st lady » 04 March 07 12:21 pm

Bronze, I can't believe you didn't invite us over to watch this! OMG that is so funny. No way was that unreasonable. I bet mulching the toys was real good for getting rid of some of that child induced stress as well.

1st lady