Stickers

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Stickers

Post by The Garner Family » 01 March 07 4:37 pm

As someone said in another thread:
I don't like stickers.
For me, I have terrible handwriting, which is made even worse when I've been digging around in a garden bed or when sweat is dripping off me & I'm puffing and panting. For this reason I *hate* writing in log books... and after you've found a number of caches, the comments can start to become a little disingenuous anyway.

I have to admit that my logbook entries have almost diminished to sticker only with date/time/find number on it. However I try to write a good description when I get back online.

As for being the owner of caches, I don't care to read the written logbook, but take great interest in the online logs.

Thoughts?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 March 07 4:45 pm

Me ? :-)

Even a handwritten who you are, what you took and what you left is better than a sticker (of course IMHO).

You don't have to write an essay, but as the hider the only fun I get out of my caches once they're hidden is the online logs and written logs in the book.

C'mon. You take some fun away from my cache (I hope), it would be nice to respond in kind by leaving a handwritten note (I hope).

Of course, if you don't like my cache, feel free to leave a sticker.

*Not YOU you, but the generic you.

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 01 March 07 4:53 pm

I leave a sticker too. My handwriting is terrible too and I'd rather take the time to type a meaningful log once I'm back at a computer. My sticker has the Team Wibble logo on it in colour and "Team Wibble" written on it, and I will always, at the very least add the date to it, but more often also what I took and left, and sometimes write in an extra comment or two.

I had no idea this was considered insulting to the cache owner :oops:

muzza
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by muzza » 01 March 07 4:56 pm

While I don't use stickers, I do use a stamp, and most of my log book entries are quite short. But like the Garner Family, I try to put a bit more detail in the online log.

I don't go around visiting my own caches to read the log books. And when I find someone else's cache, I don't usually read the previous logs. So for me, the online log is a LOT more important than the logbook.

But this is just my way of thinking.

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 01 March 07 5:08 pm

I like TGF's idea of stickers ever since i saw one in Brissy what seems like years ago now. :P

What draws me to the idea of these stickers is the (IMO) terrible idea of placing the world's smallest pen/pencil with the world's third smallest logbook and expect us cachers with elephantitis of the hands to write in a legible manner. Image

At the end of the day, i don't care how they choose to log their find of my cache....i am just glad that they have chosen to find it in the first place.

Back to taking my round worm tablets :twisted:

mm

Bunya

Post by Bunya » 01 March 07 5:20 pm

Where do you get the stickers from? :)

Spruce Mooses
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by Spruce Mooses » 01 March 07 5:36 pm

We started with stickers which we printed ourselves on the pages of labels you can get at most newsagencies or officeworks etc. But it hated running out of them and carrying sheets of them everywhere.

We now have a stamp with our team logo and "Spruce Mooses were here"
but we will leave more of a log if we think the cache is deserving of it, or of there is enough room.

Stickers are ok by me but it is nice to see something more written in the book.

Dik:
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Dik: » 01 March 07 5:50 pm

For an urban easy feel free, I have considered doing the same thing.

But when it has taken half a day of blood sweat and tears to get to a cache, it's nice to sit down and read the exploits of those who have gone before, and add my own adventures to the log.

The logbook is also somewhere to record tales of your find you would not put on line because they are spoilers, and are only meant to be read by subsequent finders.

TNLNSL - Took Nothing, Left Nothing, STAMPED Log???????????

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 01 March 07 6:05 pm

I like to go the other way. I now like to have a sit where I found the cache and write a nice find description in the cache itself. I hardly ever log on line anymore for reasons of my own. Unless the cache has not been found in a while or it damaged I tend not to log caches.

B.

Grank

Post by Grank » 01 March 07 8:19 pm

Maybe I'm even worse - I have a card not a sticker. Like others have stated, the scribble that I produce I can't even read myself half the time - and thats at work let alone when I'm dripping wet after finding a cache (either sweat or rain) so I try and put a bit into the on-line log.

I rarely get to read my cache's logs, but do very much enjoy reading the account of finders on the cache page log ... I can even keep track at work ... but that's another thread ...

Facitman
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by Facitman » 01 March 07 8:33 pm

I like to write something in the logbook, especially if the find had an element that I would like to share but would be a spoiler if included online. We also enjoy flipping back through the logbook quickly reading some of the previous finders comments. (which we also do regularly on our own hides)

It's part of our enjoyment of caching, and sort of related to the fact that we don't find caches without a box, but if you want to use a sticker or simply write TNLNSL TFTC then so be it. It's your experience, you decide.

Rhinogeo and I did use a stamp when we attempted records (Hmm 44 seems so few now days :lol: ), it's a matter of logistics in that case, you gotta pickup those extra seconds :D

TeamBeanDare
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by TeamBeanDare » 01 March 07 8:54 pm

I have a stamping Pen which I use to identify myself and then write (read: scribble) other details as date time and swaps. I rearely write a monologue of my adventures, just the facts and let the boys at work hear about the good ones.

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

stick and go

Post by If » 01 March 07 9:25 pm

Different strokes for different folks :) I like the personal touch that a handwritten logbook entry conveys :D It is also nice to read some of the other entries whilst enjoying the success of a cache hunt 8)

Team Pathfinder
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found

Re: stick and go

Post by Team Pathfinder » 01 March 07 11:09 pm

If wrote:Different strokes for different folks :) I like the personal touch that a handwritten logbook entry conveys :D It is also nice to read some of the other entries whilst enjoying the success of a cache hunt 8)
I agree :D I love either finding a cache or returning to one of our own and reading through the log book. The initial reaction is often forgotten by the time people return home and start entering logs on-line especially if they have done several in a day or been away from home for a few weeks or so. :wink:

Please keep entering your own handwritten notes no matter how bad you may think your writing or spelling is - I for one love and appreciate them :) :)

Oh and by the way - when a cache is retired or the log book is full I love to retrieve them and have kept them as treasures!!! (not quite the right word but hey)....... Even if they have been soaked with rain and the pages are torn that just makes them even more memorable to me.

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 01 March 07 11:20 pm

muzza wrote:While I don't use stickers, I do use a stamp, and most of my log book entries are quite short. But like the Garner Family, I try to put a bit more detail in the online log.

I don't go around visiting my own caches to read the log books. And when I find someone else's cache, I don't usually read the previous logs. So for me, the online log is a LOT more important than the logbook.

But this is just my way of thinking.
I'm much the same, although the stamp only comes out of the Bag if i can be bothered, :lol: