Favorite hiding??

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Team Hylton
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Favorite hiding??

Post by Team Hylton » 25 February 07 3:41 pm

Okay we are moving in the next couple of week to a area lacking geocaches like a stripper lacking clothes. As the area we are going to we use to live we know sooooooooo many great places, so I really can't wait to go on hiding....

Now I want an idea of caches hides that you like...

idea...I like caches that when I get there could be in a couple different spots - so a little challege - but not to hard so I will def. find them within 5 minutes.

As for multi's I like clever but easy to do - mainly because we have young kids so we want it exciting for the kids but not to long so they get bored - we leave longer caches for when we know we have no kids and plan them out really well - so not often.

So what are your fav.

Team Hylton (Mama Hylton)

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 25 February 07 3:53 pm

I prefer a cache in a spectacular location that took some physical effort to get to it. Something that has encouraged me to go on a decent bushwalk to find it and then rewards me with a waterproof container with some quality swaps.

Where is the cache desert you're moving to?

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 25 February 07 5:01 pm

Micros in rocks with poor co-ordinates - they're the best! :shock: :wink:

Team Hylton
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Team Hylton » 25 February 07 7:19 pm

Damo - We are moving back down to Grafton, currently we have placed 3 out near Glen Innes. I also agree caches near to be at good nice locations - not just a BP....

I really can't wait to start planning containers etc...I love hiding caches sometimes more than finding them....its the challege of finding a great spot to share with others that is worth while.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 25 February 07 11:20 pm

My parents live at Woolgoolga so not that far down the road, I am sure I will be up that way sometime to find a few.

Unluckily in an area with few cachers most finders are going to be passing through. So that means ones on the highway would obviously get the most hits, and multis will put people off - unless you make it very clear they are quick ones.

Let's face it, I am not running the place down but it isn't a tourist destination in it's own right so people won't be staying there for a few days. If you put a few more up towards Ulmarra they might get more visitors as well.

Hope to log some next visit anyway.

Team Falling Numerals

Post by Team Falling Numerals » 26 February 07 12:06 am

We just took a trip down the New England Hwy to visit the folks and since our stay was only short and we wanted to spend plenty of time with the family we avoided most caches that required more than an hour to find or were too far off the beaten track. We had two very enjoyable caching days - one on a drive to Tamworth and another day in and around Armidale and both days were mostly simple hides.

Your caches near Glen Innis came up on the radar as we passed through but we passed them by as time did not allow us to divert off the highway, find a cache and get to our destination without rushing.

As a potential drive through visitor I would enjoy a simple stop in a picturesque place, nearby to amenities and/or a coffee shop. A simple multi as a tour through an area would also be very enjoyable but unless I was staying longer in the region I would not do any longer walks or multi's even though I enjoy a good walk when at home.

Good luck with your move.

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 26 February 07 1:12 am

Geotravellers sometimes filter out Micros as well, so consider Small as your minimum size! :D

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 26 February 07 3:28 pm

If on a throughtrip a simple 2 stage multi is good.
Stop one is the nearest monument / local feature near the *bakery*/ petrol station / toilets and the clues from said monument lead to the decent sized container that can handle TB's out of town to protect it from muggles. To avoid the "damn, don't want to go back I'm going the other way" problem perhaps have two containers with logbooks, one each side of town. :?:

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 26 February 07 5:40 pm

zactyl wrote:Geotravellers sometimes filter out Micros as well, so consider Small as your minimum size! :D
Does a well hidden micro present to much of a challenge?

GeoScrubers
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by GeoScrubers » 26 February 07 6:16 pm

The Garner Family wrote:Micros in rocks with poor co-ordinates - they're the best!
<br>
and under heavy tree cover :twisted: :twisted:<br>
<p>
as a travelling tourist cacher, i tend to use "caches along a route" facility, so only look at caches 1-2km off the track (highway!), micros are fine - good for a leg stretch. Do agree with the others though, i tend to avoid multis or terrain 4/5 while just passing through.
Last edited by GeoScrubers on 26 February 07 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dik:
500 or more caches logged

Post by Dik: » 26 February 07 6:20 pm

I love travel caches. An excuse to break the drive, get out and stretch the legs.

It doesn't have to be on the highway, but I prefer something where the detour is less than 5-10 Km, although that might mean traveling on a C road that parallels the highway for quite a distance.

Take me to a local gem of a location that I wouldn't otherwise have known about or visited.

Give me a 10 to 20 minute round trip walk from the car.

Make the cache container worth finding.

And you've got a happy cacher.

Hounddog

Post by Hounddog » 06 March 07 11:33 am

A not too difficult find in a spectacular location seems about right for me..

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 08 March 07 11:11 am

Along the coast, I've found those caches close to a headland, with a view are great. Nothing like filling in a logbook while hearing the waves crashing on the rocks below.

As richary mentioned, multis and micros/smalls are not on my list if I'm travelling through.

Mr Router

Post by Mr Router » 08 March 07 12:45 pm

Spindoc Bob wrote:As richary mentioned, multis and micros/smalls are not on my list if I'm travelling through.
Make a weekend of it and and maybe meet the cache hiders, you can find more this way :roll: Micros are not that bad when you learn the hider tricks.

Bunya

Post by Bunya » 08 March 07 1:02 pm

Zytheran wrote:If on a throughtrip a simple 2 stage multi is good.
Stop one is the nearest monument / local feature near the *bakery*/ petrol station / toilets and the clues from said monument lead to the decent sized container that can handle TB's out of town to protect it from muggles. To avoid the "damn, don't want to go back I'm going the other way" problem perhaps have two containers with logbooks, one each side of town. :?:
If a two stage multi involves going more than a few hundred metres to stage two, why not say on the cache page roughly how far it is and in what direction?