Maps on cache pages....

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Would you like to see Geocaching.Com put the code back on the pages to turn the maps back on?

Yes, I want maps back.
69%
Not Sure.
6%
No, I don't want maps back.
25%

Total votes: 16

Team Piggy

Maps on cache pages....

Post by Team Piggy » 12 April 03 10:26 pm

Once upon a time we used to have maps on the australian cache pages, similar to what most other countries have.

Who would like to see them brought back ??

I know I would, It was good when we had them to see the general area that the cache is in, without having to load up Ozi etc.

Albeit they were not too accurate, but they did get the desired location across...

invaders
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

maps

Post by invaders » 12 April 03 10:55 pm

yeah i agree

Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Slider & Smurf » 12 April 03 11:15 pm

Agreed - an idea of the general area is useful, if I want the exact location I can fire up Ozi.<br>
<br>
Why were they removed in the first place? :? We seem to be the only country that doesn't have maps for each cache ...

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 13 April 03 11:23 am

I must be missing something or do you mean that little map that appears on the yank pages? I normally just hit the mapquest button for a quick look.

Horus
Totally Clueless(tm)

Post by Horus » 13 April 03 3:44 pm

Slider & Smurf wrote:Why were they removed in the first place? :? We seem to be the only country that doesn't have maps for each cache ...
When the maps were introduced there was a thread in the main gc.com forums from various Australian cachers that they didn't want the maps, so Jeremy removed them for us. From memory it was the general crappy quality of the maps that was of concern, maybe better maps are available now, it might be worth asking about. I don't know if he had similar requests from other countries, we may or may not be the only country he's locked maps out for.
<p>
See what kind of response you get with this forum and if it's in favour of getting the maps back, send the URL to this thread to Jeremy to see what can be done.

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 13 April 03 11:21 pm

We found the maps quite useful, and were dissapointed when they were taken off.
Strike up another vote for bringing back the maps.

alex
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by alex » 14 April 03 12:12 am

No I don't want the little maps back. I like to start with some thinking to locate the caches.

First I look at the coords and do a little imagining to work out the location...that is usually hopeless so I click on the 'Nearest Caches" link...that narrows it down a bit so then I click on the "make this page print friendly" link and that then gives me the little map on the clue sheet. I then print the whole sheet (including map) so I can forget it and leave it at home when I go caching :oops: .

Please don't make my game too easy.

Team Piggy

Maps.

Post by Team Piggy » 14 April 03 1:39 am

I agree with Alex's view, except look at it in the text that: The maps were not accurate enogh to get ANY idea on where it may have been.
They are the same maps that you can get when you make a page print friendly.
I started the poll with the general overview that the maps make it easier to see a "rough" location of a cache (within say 10 kilometeres ?) without having to load up or print extra pages.
There is a dozen ways to get maps, but all take more time than looking at the first page..
I to dont like to use a map to get spot on, but only to get a general idea of location, and also more so to see if there is a river or something that cuts the road I have been on for an hour in half with no bridge !

Hounddog
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Maps

Post by Hounddog » 17 April 03 2:33 am

The system of maps that were featured on Geocaching,com some time back were from Mapblast. These maps were just so poor and inaccurate that most geocachers at the time (including myself) felt they were a hindrance rather than a help, so we asked for them to be removed. I can recall at least one occasion where the maps gave me a real bum steer. I think now most people are sourcing very good mapping data either on the web or through purchased software., but if you feel you still want the maps returned I suggest you ask Jeremy Irish to see what can be done.

Hounddog