Caching in Blackberries and other crappy areas!

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Wingaap
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by Wingaap » 18 February 07 6:51 pm

Bundyrumandcoke wrote:Seems to remember following the arrow that must be followed to a Brisbane cache at around 2.30 am one October morning last year. Down and up through a gully, with all sorts of thorny grabby plants in the vicinity. Off Track was the cache, and worst of all, we didnt find it.
Now this is one of my caches. There is absolutely no need to get tangled up in thorny grabby plants as there is a track to gz. I am continually amazed by the logs that make reference to the thorny plants. The lessons here is ...dont just follow the arrow...follow the walking track...it's much easier upon yourself and the environment.

Dosphoenix
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Dosphoenix » 18 February 07 8:31 pm

Wingaap wrote:
Bundyrumandcoke wrote:Seems to remember following the arrow that must be followed to a Brisbane cache at around 2.30 am one October morning last year. Down and up through a gully, with all sorts of thorny grabby plants in the vicinity. Off Track was the cache, and worst of all, we didnt find it.
Now this is one of my caches. There is absolutely no need to get tangled up in thorny grabby plants as there is a track to gz. I am continually amazed by the logs that make reference to the thorny plants. The lessons here is ...dont just follow the arrow...follow the walking track...it's much easier upon yourself and the environment.
I'm just jumping to wingy's defence on this one. I have found this cache. There is a track to it. It would be difficult to find at that time of night as most of wingaap's would be being the master of disguise he is. This is not easy to find, but its not that hard.

I completely agree with the argument that cache's shouldn't be placed in or under bushes that are likely to harm you or involve damaging property (like inside posts that require bashing to get at), however I know more than one cacher that barrels headlong into the bush following the arrow at every opportunity without checking to see if that path does actually come around just beyond that bend. If you get scratched, then so be it.

However I believe your point is about the placement of the actual cache, not how you get to it and in that instance I agree with you.

Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 19 February 07 1:54 am

Well, thats not actually the case. As I havent yet found this cache, I cant say exactly where it is, Its just the approach we took, direct, down the gully and up the other side, in the dark. Subsiquent attempts to find this cache have had us follow a perfectly acceptable track to the area, but still no luck finding it.

And yes Bruce, I know its yours, and after I logged my DNF for that night, you pointed out to me that the track existed. I used it next time.

imanoone2u

Post by imanoone2u » 20 February 07 9:08 am

This might not be 'proper etiquette' but why not, when comming upon a Cache located in a 'rubbish/dog wee 'n poo/thornybush area, leave a note to 'log your visit' on the website and mention that fact... gives others an idea what to expect and the 'owner' a chance to clean the area or relocate it...

seems simple

imaStillTryingToFindMyFirstCache2u

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 20 February 07 9:22 am

imanoone2u wrote:This might not be 'proper etiquette' but why not, when comming upon a Cache located in a 'rubbish/dog wee 'n poo/thornybush area, leave a note to 'log your visit' on the website and mention that fact... gives others an idea what to expect and the 'owner' a chance to clean the area or relocate it...

seems simple

imaStillTryingToFindMyFirstCache2u
Can't disagree with you, but people get REALLY shirty when you mention that their cache is less than a whole barrel of fun.

Sunshine Toledo
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Sunshine Toledo » 20 February 07 9:53 am

As I found out recently.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 20 February 07 10:22 am

Sometimes, not saying much at all can give a better indication of the perceived quality of a cache.

TNLNSL.

That's an indicator that the cache was not a fun experience, without having to go out of your way to say as such.

People can read this any way they want, but the intent is to highlight a poor cacahe without saying in large red letters, THIS CACHE SUCKS!

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 20 February 07 12:56 pm

Telling the owner of a problem shouldn't be a problem if done right.

One case I had recently I informed the owner of undesirable rubbish so they could do something about it. It wasn't their fault at all as muggles had left it. I couldn't remove it without bringing the attention of the kids we had with us to it so didn't. The kids where so focused on the cache they didn't spot it thankfully.

koalaboi

Post by koalaboi » 25 February 07 8:10 am

I reckon there's not much point in going to rubbish dumps either.

A little while back I looked for a cache at a beach lookout. I suspect that the temptation to urinate on a very early morning surf check can be almost irresistable for many young surfers. And so it had proved here. The smell was as bad as you can imagine and the idea of diving through thick bushes coated with dehyrated urine...

I posted the problem with the DNF and there was no bad response. It's a shame because the lookout is both spectacular and historic. Morover, it can be a great whale watching spot.

The upshot: BE CAREFUL AT BEACH LOOKOUTS!