This is why Garmins are better than Magellans

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

This is why Garmins are better than Magellans

Post by Aushiker » 27 January 07 7:16 pm

If
10000 or more caches found

Gggggarmin

Post by If » 27 January 07 11:43 pm

Oh that is just plain scary :lol: What is even more scary is that some idiot is going to start up a reality television show based on a GPS treasure hunt soon. In doing so will put millions in the coffers of their own pockets, GPS manufacturers and other sponsors :shock: While at the same time totally destroying our 'sport' by introducing tens of thousands of bored fishermen, dirt-bikers, four wheel and allwheel drivers etc to the sport in a sudden massive wave of interest in the 'sport' :cry:

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Re: Gggggarmin

Post by Mr Router » 28 January 07 5:54 am

If wrote:Oh that is just plain scary :lol: What is even more scary is that some idiot is going to start up a reality television show based on a GPS treasure hunt soon. In doing so will put millions in the coffers of their own pockets, GPS manufacturers and other sponsors :shock: While at the same time totally destroying our 'sport' by introducing tens of thousands of bored fishermen, dirt-bikers, four wheel and allwheel drivers etc to the sport in a sudden massive wave of interest in the 'sport' :cry:
it was fun while it lasted! it will be fun to line up to sign a new virgin!! NOT!!!
please leave our sport just the way it is! Even though i spent 50 times more time on the forum than fiding caches, it is fine just the way it is.A routers 20cents worth :shock:

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 28 January 07 12:15 pm

I know lots of people with a GPSr who've either never heard of geocaching, or who just weren't interested. I imagine that the average GPSr buyer will think of it as an electronic street directory, not as an entry point to a new game/sport!

I sort of agree that caching could be negatively affected by a huge influx of new players, but it's better than the old days when almost every dedicated player had found everything within a few hours drive of home!

Urban micros will become even more omnipresent and lame than they are now, but interesting puzzles and caches in interesting places will still be there, just a bit harder to find...

Team Pathfinder
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found

Post by Team Pathfinder » 28 January 07 1:11 pm

Bear_Left wrote:I know lots of people with a GPSr who've either never heard of geocaching, or who just weren't interested. I imagine that the average GPSr buyer will think of it as an electronic street directory, not as an entry point to a new game/sport!

I sort of agree that caching could be negatively affected by a huge influx of new players, but it's better than the old days when almost every dedicated player had found everything within a few hours drive of home!

Urban micros will become even more omnipresent and lame than they are now, but interesting puzzles and caches in interesting places will still be there, just a bit harder to find...
Bear_Left has said it all. :) I am thinking that there arent too many geocachers around who can remember the days when you would wait three or four weeks or more for a new cache to be posted somewhere in the state. Boy how things have changed.

Grank

Post by Grank » 28 January 07 2:49 pm

I think we're safe ... just need a few more of these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l16mdF8s5s4&NR

maybe throw in some of the Matt Harding series as well LOL

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Re: This is why Garmins are better than Magellans

Post by Zytheran » 28 January 07 9:16 pm

Aushiker wrote:G'day

See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taRPwYe1EYA&eurl=

Andrew
Step 1: Find needles
Step 2: Push into eyeballs destroying optic nerve
Step 3: Enjoy decreased amount of pain as image fades.
:shock:

If

Phew

Post by If » 28 January 07 9:32 pm

OK so maybe I was wrong :lol: A massive influx of new geocachers could solve the problem of who to put on which space ark :shock: Telephone cleansers and hairdressers on one and the GPS savvy on the other :D I just know this will end in tears 8)

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 28 January 07 11:01 pm

I'm Glad Magellan isn't connected to a video clip/song of that quality :D

Papa Bear_Left

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 29 January 07 12:29 am

I don't know the singer, but he must have enormous street cred to do something as cheesy as that and still get comments saying "Awsome!"

The Ginger Loon
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by The Ginger Loon » 29 January 07 3:00 pm

That was just plain embarrassing... :oops:

Or to quote other YouTubers;

I want that 2:33 of my life back. :twisted:

Knot_gillty
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by Knot_gillty » 20 March 07 11:24 pm

just found this thread and now i think i'm dumber by half! :shock:

TeamAstro
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by TeamAstro » 21 March 07 12:00 am

Well Well Well.

I've been waiting for the Garmin types to start mud slinging.

Magellan types: try this link. For $9.99, it would be worth seeing if the Garmin's could find it.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/electronic/8c52/

clear skies, Astro :twisted: :lol:

Papa Bear_Left

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 21 March 07 11:42 am

I built a similar gadget years ago, to great effect.
It was called "Cudlip Cricket" and it was an Electronics Australia magazine project (gosh, that stuck in my memory from almost 20 years ago!)
It made a really annoying electronic chirp at occasional intervals, but it had a microphone and a light sensor that shut it up for a few minutes if it sensed a change in light or noise. Like, when the victim was looking for it!

A coworker was nearly sent mad by this. I'd built it into a highlighter pen and put it into his desk drawer. He tried mothballs and Baygon and all sorts of things! The battery ran down after a couple of weeks and I let it stay dead; he'd suffered enough...