Kids caching web site/sub account?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
lattejed
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Kids caching web site/sub account?

Post by lattejed » 18 January 07 5:45 am

Would it possible/viable to have a kids only account/section. I recently had my nieces in town for a few days and as always we head out and do a couple of caches together. My question is rather than them becoming 'members' could I sponsor geokiddies in their own sub-account. They can do the counting and logging thing but without the whole responsibility of managing a full blown account. And of course, a cut down version of searching which lists kiddie friendly and/or wheelchair access. Definately multis with one or at best two stages maximum. This is how we determine the caches to hunt for, so I figured we weren't the only ones.

Certainly one of my reasons for a sub account was as a layer of protection. They would use my email address and I would be aware of any contact from 'non-kiddies' as well as them not having to put any bio-data etc

Thoughts?

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 18 January 07 7:54 am

Getting on the box while mum or dad are trying to log the days finds maybe a little tricky for the geonippers :wink:

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 18 January 07 9:22 am

Mr Router wrote:Getting on the box while mum or dad are trying to log the days finds maybe a little tricky for the geonippers :wink:
Pffft! Like they don't have their own laptop! :roll:

Sunshine Toledo
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Sunshine Toledo » 18 January 07 9:37 am

Good idea but I think that parents would need to not only be aware of what they are doing on their computer but being out there without adults doing the actual caching. For safety most would cache with their parents so the Team account with a separate caching name for each child may be the best all round. I don't think team names will keep counts for the separate members though unless they have their own account. They could have a free account in their name and do their counts that way.

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 18 January 07 12:21 pm

My kids have their own accounts. DevilRacerRyan & CachedScout.

Once in a blue moon they choose to do some logging, but mostly they don't.

Different children would have different needs and it would be difficult to know who needed what. My kids are 8 and 10 now.

However, a kids caching competition, now thats a different story...

THENANKS
1550 or more caches found

Post by THENANKS » 18 January 07 3:44 pm

We are set up the same as Cached. Our oldest boy Freaky Geeky, has his own account and has done about 10 hides of his own. He often now can't be bothered to log his finds with us. Since last night ,when he got his new find labels with avatar ,it might be a different story. Our little guy who is 6 has a caching name worked out but not yet opened his account. With all the new members starting he might have to be quick to get it. It all seems to work well . We have layed out the ground rules so hopefully we will have no problems. Cheers David

ADAcache
1950 or more caches found
1950 or more caches found

Post by ADAcache » 19 January 07 6:13 am

My son got sick of me doing caches without him, so he has his own account now "Ash-dash". He even got his own GPSr for christmas (a nice shiny etrex legend) we only pay for my account and he just runs on a free one. This system seems to work well and even though he uses his own email account, there is no reason the sub accounts couldn't be sent to the same email account for safety sake. :D

THENANKS

Post by THENANKS » 21 January 07 11:26 pm

THENANKS wrote:Our little guy who is 6 has a caching name worked out but not yet opened his account. With all the new members starting he might have to be quick to get it.
He went into panic mode the other night thinking that someone might take his name, so we helped him start his account. We are introducing "THE CHUNKEY MONKEY " to the world of geocaching. Tom has got stickers and all now, which his big brother helped make up.
Cheers The Nanks