OT: Power Outages In Victoria

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
CanSolo
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

OT: Power Outages In Victoria

Post by CanSolo » 16 January 07 7:37 pm

Looks like the fires have made their effect on the Victorian and some of the SA power grid.

The power interconnector at Tatong in NE Vic turned off sometime today, approx 4 PM. This provided power from the NSW power gird to power Victoria when it needed extra power.

What happened next was automatic cascading power shutdowns to maintain the power grid. All of Victoria experienced a power surge, some areas shut off automatically to maintain the rest of the grid.

Considering most of Vic experienced high 30-low 40 temps, it has taken areas od our state to a standstill

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 16 January 07 7:53 pm

whew that saved me starting a new thread asking why the heck i am having to madly shut down servers in our control room in melbourne due to the extreme heat that a massive UPS is generating, let alone the 20 odd servers as well

any more news on possible up time?

i understand that there are over 1000 traffic lights out, and most of melbourne is without power.

could get some mad cachers doing a dash from cache to cache, without having to stop for traffic :D

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 16 January 07 8:08 pm

And some say that Victoria is "The Place To Be" Image Image

mm

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Zap

Post by If » 16 January 07 8:37 pm

Please, fellow interstaters, some sympathy for our Victorian caching brethren :cry:
Think of the caches, won't somebody think of the caches :shock:
Must be a few gone up in smoke over the last couple of weeks :(
Let's hope the recovery will be swift and the damage not too great.
Must be a tough place to live with all that wild weather they get.
No wonder so many Victorian cachers choose to use the "available in winter" cache attributes in their cache pages 8)
Might need an "available in summer" attribute too for us downunda cachers..... :D

Team Falling Numerals

Post by Team Falling Numerals » 16 January 07 8:49 pm

setsujoku wrote:and most of melbourne is without power.
its out in patches apparently. My son just phoned his dad to check on the status there and all is well - no electricity cuts and the trip home from work was smooth.

setsujoku
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 16 January 07 9:01 pm

thankfully i only powered down 4, and weve got to the point where we can switch them back on now.

Found this article that gives a bit more info

Just speaking to one of the guys over there, and they dont know how long it will be before they can even get near the break, let alone repair it, as the fire is still burning in that area, and could swing back at any moment