Geocoins - penny for your thoughts...

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
grewar

Geocoins - penny for your thoughts...

Post by grewar » 14 January 07 10:00 pm

I wonder what other cachers out there think of using Australian pennies and half pennies in caches instead of very expensive geocoins?
I just scored 90 pennies from ebay and all up it cost me about $40-00..
I'd like to use them as geocoins - for finders to keep..

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 14 January 07 10:16 pm

How would we possibly log/track them :?

mm

grewar

goecoins

Post by grewar » 14 January 07 10:25 pm

I wasn't thinking about logging or tracking them...just giving them away as souvenirs in the cache...could track or log them by engraving on them...no longer legal tender...queen wouldn't care on the later pennies...king long gone and Edward abdicated on the earlier ones...

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 14 January 07 10:29 pm

That's ok.....they are just pre-decimal coins then, not geocoins as such :P

mm

grewar

Post by grewar » 14 January 07 10:33 pm

Thats right..I'm new at this ..Is a geocoin ok to be kept and collected? I know it can be numbered and tracked if the owner wishes it to be. So, in the sense that the penny could be kept, I guess its not a geocoin because it was not made as such? I'm not sure on this.

ZED!
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by ZED! » 14 January 07 10:41 pm

We have a team in WA who do just that, they drop a Penny in each geocache they visit.

As for your last question, a geocoin can be kept only if the person who left the geocoin explicitly says it is for collection (eg. an unactivated personal coin, or like 2 I have collected that were a First to Find prize)
Otherwise it is a Travel Bug and should be logged and moved to a new location preferably towards it's goal.

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 14 January 07 10:46 pm

Read the info in the Wikipedia on Geocoins amongst others. :P

My understanding is that "untrackable" geocoins are in the minority with those minted to use either as a cachers "trademark" swap or for private collections (never to see a cache location).

mm

grewar

Post by grewar » 14 January 07 10:47 pm

I'm going back to WA to work in a few weeks..Thats exactly what I was going to do - drop a penny or two in each cache and use them as a FTF coin...Can't be bothered tracking them - prefer to give them away - kids would like them too

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 15 January 07 12:28 pm

You need to realise that"Geocoin" is now a very specific term, not just a coin in a geocache!

I like the idea of these as swaps/signature items. Maybe you could put them in a little plastic bag with a printed card, just to make them more of a geo-item than just a coin?

grewar

Post by grewar » 15 January 07 9:42 pm

good idea, I will polish them up and make them worthy of collection through good presentation for sure.

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Ooh geocoins

Post by If » 16 January 07 9:28 pm

Have you thought about sending the pennies to the geocoin makers over in Australia's carbon credits partner... China :D
I'm sure they could somehow combine them into a trackable somehow. Might cost you though :shock:
Unless they would be interested in marketing them. I'm sure the American market would snap up a 'genuine' Aussie geocoin to swap, leave or steal
:D

grewar

Post by grewar » 17 January 07 9:26 pm

Good idea too. Knowing the stupid Australian government here I would be jailed for money laundering or the like. Its ok for big fellas like Blundstone to go overseas but the little man often gets done for being innovative...
I also have had a bit of trouble with Chinese market in Ebay so would have to be legitimate mob I reckon..

The Ginger Loon
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by The Ginger Loon » 17 January 07 10:12 pm

The long and the short of it is that pre-decimal currency coins are still legal tender. The only cons that have been "de-monetised" are the Holey Dollar and the Dump. So therefore engraving or modifying pennies is illegal. :wink:

Check the Roal Australian Mint website FAQ.

I had a nice reply written up with links etc, but I couldn't post it due to a bug in the system. :oops:

grewar

Post by grewar » 18 January 07 3:26 pm

Thanks for checking it out about legal tender, That settles it for me then, I will put polished pennies in caches as a FTF reward.
They will mean something to most people my age anyway....