Liar's cache

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Liar's cache

Post by Aushiker » 10 January 07 7:13 pm

G'day

Thought this article might be of amusement or interest or something ... http://www.hometown-pages.com/main.asp? ... leID=14633

Andrew

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 10 January 07 9:42 pm

I dislike the mean-ness of the intent. The only reason for placing one of these is to cause someone to feel cheated or disappointed or foolish. Why would you want to do that to a fellow cacher?

I don't mind the type of liar cache that advertises itself honestly, with loggers trying to out-bull each other about their swaps or experience. But that's done with the informed consent of the cache finder, a very different thing.

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 10 January 07 9:48 pm

I've not heard of any that hide in Ausralia.

But the Ripper Stopper Warehouse cache in Vic and It's not chocolate in Tasmania both encourage (on the cache page, in plain view) false logs about experiences and swaps.

Think I'd be pissed if I'd worked for weeks and purchased gear for a fake experience though!

Now where do I put that yacht I bought to put in Ripper Stopper?

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 10 January 07 10:01 pm

Sounds a bit mean to keep the secret so you can laugh at other people being fooled too.
The writer of that arti-cle has a really na-sty case of hypheni-tis! :?

Team Rubik

Post by Team Rubik » 10 January 07 10:39 pm

I'm with Damo, how does someone make news editor when they hyphenate "triangul-ate" and "ques-tion"?<br>
<br>
As for the cache, I don't think there's a place for that sort of thing. There's nothing cool about deliberately misleading someone. If you want people to take a bit of creative license with their logs, inspire them to do so. I've done it on the occasion when it's keeping with the spirit of the cache, but never to hurt someone.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 10 January 07 10:43 pm

Team Rubik wrote:I'm with Damo, how does someone make news editor when they hyphenate "triangul-ate" and "ques-tion"?
It was probably a print article that's been scanned for online viewing and never reformatted to the correct page width.

Dosphoenix
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Dosphoenix » 11 January 07 12:05 pm

This is another example of things the north american geocaching community is doing to "push the envelope" as it were. I think its an awful premise. What possible point is there? There are a lot of caches I choose not to do, but with this, your ability to choose is taken away from you because it isn't clearly saying what the cache is like. Which really is the whole point isn't it?

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Re: Liar's cache

Post by Zytheran » 11 January 07 3:27 pm

Aushiker wrote:G'day

Thought this article might be of amusement or interest or something ... http://www.hometown-pages.com/main.asp? ... leID=14633

Andrew
From Zytheran.. "STUPID IDEA"
If you dick around with the rating system with such caches people will stop trusting it. Then people might attempt an extreme cache without really thinking about what they will be attempting. OK, we are a way off lots of liar caches but isn't this a bit of the boy who cried wolf?
And another thing, so you tell a story and fool people, so what? Anybody can do that. But to make a real challenging and clever cache takes time and effort.
Some people do travel a long way for a difficult cache for various competitions and it would suck to do the time and expense just to be suckered.

Rikki
750 or more caches found
750 or more caches found

Post by Rikki » 11 January 07 11:04 pm

I can see the light side of this cache, but I wouldn't like to see them here. There's a couple of caches here in the Blue Mountains that require abseiling. When I can finally get my act together and go attempt them I would be really pissed off if was like this one.

Mind you, one look at the topo for this cache and you can easily see it's not as hard it is made out to be.
<BR><BR><BR>

Aushiker
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 11 January 07 11:13 pm

G'day

I posted this link on the geocaching.com forums just as I did here. Looks like that was probably not such a smart idea as it has sparked off a hornet's nest it seems. For those with the inclination the thread is at http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index. ... 53161&st=0

Regards
Andrew

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 11 January 07 11:44 pm

Aushiker wrote: Looks like that was probably not such a smart idea as it has sparked off a hornet's nest it seems.
That's about as hard as shooting fish in a barrel on the geocaching.com forums.
:roll: