How far would you go for a puzzle cache?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

How much time would you spend on a puzzle cache?

Less than 1 hour (I don't do puzzles)
29%
2 hours
18%
4 hours
12%
8 hours
12%
20 or more hours (can't get enough puzzles)
29%

Total votes: 34

fehrgo
200 or more found
200 or more found

How far would you go for a puzzle cache?

Post by fehrgo » 31 December 06 3:46 am

I have had a cache series in the works for several months now, and decided that before I spent too much more time on it, I'd ask around for some valuable opinions:

How far would you go for a puzzle cache, if the subject matter were stimulating? For example, would you learn a new skill? Would you learn a new language? How much time would you be willing to spend? Would you be willing to build a device to use at the cache site, if that construction were not expensive and took a few hours?

The series I am doing would be incremental, with significantly more effort being required for the later caches (approximately a doubling for each successive cache). "Preparation" for the later caches could be done in spare time, in 30-60 minute blocks. That said, some people would be able to walk up to the last cache and take all of 5 minutes to do it, because they would already have the necessary skills.

Thanks for any input!

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 31 December 06 9:20 am

Speaking as someone who puts out a lot of puzzle caches in SA the outlook is not good in Australia. There is a small group is SA who actively go after my puzzle caches but the majority of cachers give them a miss. Of the caches that require special skills such a rockclimbing or diving I would suspect very few people will do them, even if they already have the skills. We have an offshore cache and I strongly desire to learn scuba diving but even I haven't done the course to get the cache. Even the more extreme bushwalking caches from the likes of Derringer get a fraction of the cachers other easier to get to caches get. And all that requires is walking and the ability to camp.
On the other hand, as long as you are getting enjoyment designing and setting it out, go for it. Just the pride and bragging rights (or in my case the boos at any event I attend) of having designed a complex series are well worth it.
Making something, or better yet, assembling something in the field is a good idea. People don't like puzzles where they go out somewhere but then have to return to a computer to solve something, look something up. If making something make sure you have a complete list of every tool needed. It would also be good to have a friend beta-test every stage so the few finders you do have don't run into problems when it is published. :oops:
I doubt anyone would learn a new language if they are older then school age, it's too difficult, but they will translate if given the tools.

The incremental idea is always good, with each stage being a cache, idea is to hook people on the easier ones and they then want to complete the set.
Also encourage teams to work together, more fun for everyone.
Most people hate maths stuff BTW and wont learn it.
As a final hint check out some of the big series style caches in the USA and their logs. Just search on 5/5 caches and find out who the puzzle setters are and then check out what they have done.

Team Falling Numerals

Post by Team Falling Numerals » 31 December 06 9:39 am

Puzzles at home which involved some preparation would be OK but I would avoid them if only travelling through an area.

A puzzle or exercise where we learned more about local history, identities or other local perspectives would be a big drawcard for me.

I personally don't have a problem with maths problems but since I work with numbers on a daily basis I have a distinct advantage over others who do not get the opportunity to exercise their maths brain regularly.

Geof
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by Geof » 31 December 06 9:58 am

Make sure that people won't do untold environmental damage if they get an answer wrong.
Make your cache parts as fool proof as you can - people will try to cut corners or may simply think they are doing what you intend when in fact they arn't.
As for how far I'd go for a puzzle thats not the big issue. The issue is if I'm interested in the first place ie do I have a chance here. When one problem solves for a job a terrain 4.5 traditional looks better every day unless the puzzle can "suck you in" and you are "into it". Now if your a factory asembly line worker, boared house person, problem solving "junky" or something you may have all week to think about puzzles.

If you build it they will come eventualy. If it's mass finds you want maybe not. Then again one find on a special cache may be worth more than many easy ones.

.... Pageing Rabbitto Pageing Rabbitto.... :lol:

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 31 December 06 11:14 am

I'll put a lot of time and effort into solving them... but not necessarily money... if I have to spend a lot of money to solve a cache then I'll likely skip it.

fehrgo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by fehrgo » 31 December 06 2:10 pm

I've learned my lesson on waypoints and environmental impact.

Ideally the terrain on this one would be <=3, with the cost of anything assembled being well under $20, more likely 5-10. Maths would not be a part of it, as it would be more of an intellectual, observation and feedback based exercise. Much more than that and I give it away :)

Thanks for all the feedback! I think I will go ahead with it, as if even a few people complete it, it would be worth my time as an intellectual exercise for me.

Bunya

Post by Bunya » 31 December 06 2:35 pm

I'm a bit puzzled :wink: by the heading/poll here.

The heading is how FAR would you go but the poll is given in TIME :?

I have solved many more puzzle caches than I have gone to find as most (except mine) are further than 400 km by road from where I live.

Derringer
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Derringer » 31 December 06 7:12 pm

Even the more extreme bushwalking caches from the likes of Derringer get a fraction of the cachers other easier to get to caches get. And all that requires is walking and the ability to camp
Simplifying things a bit, I believe.
There are many skills required to walking in remote off track areas.
Like any skill, experience is the key to success, and that takes time to acquire.

I enjoy puzzle caches too, but don't get wrapped up in them,
I'll start a puzzle, and if I get nowhere initially, will revisit it at a later date, a few days, months, even years.
There is no hurry with these caches, they will still be there.
Of the puzzle caches I have done, I usually find I can solve them in the end, all it takes is time.

Most puzzle caches are many hrs drive from us, so we track them down only if in the area.
Kevin

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Hmmmm

Post by If » 31 December 06 11:40 pm

Bring it on :D
No cache too easy, no cache too hard 8)

Rabbitto
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Rabbitto » 31 December 06 11:41 pm

Geof wrote:
.... Pageing Rabbitto Pageing Rabbitto.... :lol:
<p>Hello? I'm here.

<p>Of the puzzle caches I have designed, I fully realise that there are people who will find it too annoying to work through it but nevertheless I will release it no holds barred. I know that there are people who really want the challenge. Within a few weeks, I will gradually increase the hints on the cache page to a point where most people can walk through the logic. Once the first three finders have logged, I will answer any questions asked. If someone calls and is stuck in the field, I will walk them right through it if necessary. I have no problem in handing out info, right up to and including the final co-ordinates especially if the seeker is having no fun. There are those who might say that this defeats the purpose but I believe that this is the whole purpose. At the end of the day it is meant to be fun, not to hang around someones neck like a large rock.

<p>When the boot is on the other foot, I love the challenge. Just yesterday we were about to return home after a big day out when we caught the start point of a particularly wonderfully set up puzzle cache. The hooks were set and holding the cache aloft about 100 odd km from home and nearing midnight was a fantastic feeling. I still have a couple of really good ones near home that I haven't yet solved and I am still working on but I know that when I do it will be great.