Australian "Unite for Diabetes" travel bugs

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
langy
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by langy » 02 January 07 5:01 pm

Mine 'arrived' today and is headed to Lanxi, China.

Hang on I had better research where that is and see if there are any caches there ...

Well, it is a city in the north of China. There is one cache anywhere near it - it is a virtual cache some 60km to the south-east.

Curious...

Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Gunn Parker » 02 January 07 5:51 pm

I jumped in late but just received my bug, it's goal is to get to Ekazhevo, Russia, no caches within 100 miles of that place :)

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 02 January 07 5:59 pm

Gunn Parker wrote:I jumped in late but just received my bug, it's goal is to get to Ekazhevo, Russia, no caches within 100 miles of that place :)
Doubt it matters Andrew. I suspect that the whole purpose is to have the bugs travelling as widely as possible creating awareness more so than actually getting to a particular place.

Regards
Andrew
Who is still awaiting and I got in real early :(

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 02 January 07 6:22 pm

<p>Mine arrived in Benalla today and its goal is Buga, Colombia :shock:</p>

<p>The nearest cache is 154.6km away :? </p>

<p>Wikipedia tells me that on December 20, 1995 American Airlines Flight 965 crashed into a mountain near Buga with all of the 8 crew and 155 of the 159 passengers being killed in the crash. Further, in Mexico the term "Buga" is used by the gay community and it means "heterosexual" :roll:</p><p>It should have an interesting journey to its goal :P </p>

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 02 January 07 6:46 pm

G'day

I should have more faith in the postie :oops: My U4TB is off to Bolobo, Congo (Dem. Rep.). Three caches in the country of which one is disabled. Should be fun watching this one travel.

I thought of adding a laminated objectives card to the bug. Has anyone else done this?

Regards
Andrew

Sunshine Toledo
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by Sunshine Toledo » 02 January 07 7:00 pm

And mine arrived today also. I thought that I mightn't get one as my application went in only a day or two before it closed. Mine is headed for Zungeru, Nigeria. It is in the middle of the country on the Kaduna River and SW of the town of Kaduna and NW of Abuja. Does that help? There are only two caches in the whole country and they are down on the coast near the capital, Lagos.

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 02 January 07 7:00 pm

The nearest active cache to my destination for TB1AN70 is 280 km's away according to this, so i cant see mine making its way there in a hurry, especially when the handfull of caches within 300 km's not being visited for the last couple of months.

as someone mentioned though, this has been a good to learn more about places around the world, its got me to open up google earth and find out where im aiming for :!:

president & 1st lady
1250 or more geocaches found
1250 or more geocaches found

Post by president & 1st lady » 02 January 07 8:30 pm

Anyone going to Saudi Arabia? There's two caches within 100km of our destination, one is a virtual! The nearby traditional cache has not been found in nearly two years. This will be fun to watch

1st lady

Spruce Mooses
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by Spruce Mooses » 02 January 07 8:33 pm

We got ours today and its heading to al-Andalus in Kuwait. We got lucky, there are caches within 20 kms of the town. However, I'm not sure how soon anyone will be going to the airforce bases that it's at. If anyone knows someone in the defence forces heading kuwait way let us know. We'll show it Melbourne first I guess

Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 02 January 07 9:28 pm

Sunshine Toledo wrote:And mine arrived today also. I thought that I mightn't get one as my application went in only a day or two before it closed.
G'day

What makes you think that applications are closed? I couldn't find any dates suggesting this and you can still apply for bugs. Do you have a link by any chance?

Thanks
Andrew

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 02 January 07 9:53 pm

I got mine today. I've off to El Estor in Guatemala - wish I could go with it. Aparently it is a port town in the east on the shore of Lake Izabal, and the name is a Spanishisation for 'The Store'. Nearest cache is 75 km away, but there are at least a dozen in the country.

Having travelled around southern Mexico (just over the border), some people in the region could do with diabete awareness. A lot of refined sugar in the food and drink there - not that I should speak aloud at the moment :roll:

tank47
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by tank47 » 02 January 07 10:43 pm

Mine arrived today, destination Acerra, in Italy.<p>Tracking code TB1B61D

Rallywrxwagon
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Spain here I come

Post by Rallywrxwagon » 02 January 07 11:03 pm

Got mine today. San Lorenzo de El Escorial, Spain. Cache 120 metres from target for me. This one has half a chance. :D

Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 03 January 07 1:17 am

Well, I will eat my words. I got mine today Tuesday, but it would have been delivered Wednesday. So, people in Central and North Queensland who ordered them SHOULD get them Wednesday. Now, for those of you complaining about there being no caches within cooee of your destination, try mine (TB1BWW0) is going to Bellaire, Texas, USA. A search of closest caches to this location revealed 2218 caches. I wonder which one it will go into. I am contemplating contacting the owner of the closest cache, and telling them their TB is on its way.

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 03 January 07 4:05 am

I have made contact with the owner of the nearest cache. And I got a fairly quick reply. He was talking huge numbers attending events, well up into the hundreds, and huge numbers of caches. I took the opportunity to do a little educating as to what happens down these parts.