Virtual Caches and TB

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Biggles Bear
2200 or more geocaches found

Virtual Caches and TB

Post by Biggles Bear » 27 January 04 8:03 am

One of our <a href="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 8">Virtual Caches</a> has had a TB dropped (virtual) in it by an American player who has not even been to Vic. Apparently the <a href="http://www.geocaching.com/track/details ... 838">TB</a> is in a race to Melbourne FL (USA).

<P>I just have a small problem with this in that the person with the TB has not visited Melbourne, other wise :?: , and it will end up putting ove 18,000 miles on the TB which it has not travelled.

<P>Should I; <P>a) let it be,or <P>b) delete the entry and tell the player we don't want to play his game?

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 27 January 04 8:40 am

I would delete it myself, sounds like a bit of a scam.
Delete it and ask him for the reasons "why" it should be in there ?

The Rats
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by The Rats » 27 January 04 8:55 am

The Rats are in the same boat as you Biggles. We had a TB placed in our The Pulpit cache by a US cacher who seems to have never placed a foot in Oz. The TB is also part of some race which started in San Deigo.

What I was going to do is confirm either way the existance of this TB in the cache before asking Embi or Swampy to take this matter to a higher level.

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 27 January 04 9:00 am

I c an confirm the existance of the TB White Lightning... I watched George of Ideology remove it and place it a week later in Daylight... He just hasn't updated the secondary site..... Stay tuned

Biggles Bear

Post by Biggles Bear » 27 January 04 9:30 am

I have no problem with O/S players mailing TB's to local players who then let the O/S player know which cache it's been placed in and then having O/S player log it (as a note of course).

<P>In our case we have a virtual cache, so there is no way a TB can be left in it. The player did in fact contact us privatley, as follows.
--This message was sent through the Geocaching.com web site--

Biggles--
Apologies in advance for violating your virtual cache. Long story short, a father and son are raising travel bugs. One is to go to Melbourne, FLORIDA, USA. Father has been telling folks the TB is to go to Australia. Another GC should be "picking up" the TB from your virtual in the next few days. Good Hunting!
-- Tom
<P>I still don't think it can be justified and am on the verge of deleting the entry.

Biggles Bear

Post by Biggles Bear » 27 January 04 9:33 am

Perhaps we could throw a spanner in their little game by picking up the non exsistant TB and then not releasing it :twisted: Except we don't know the TB's number :?

Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Slider & Smurf » 27 January 04 6:55 pm

Just delete it ... if the other bug is sticking to physical caches, why should this one profit by jumping the gun?

maccamob
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by maccamob » 27 January 04 7:27 pm

I'd delete it too. Not sure if that will also remove the entry on the TB Page though. :?

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 27 January 04 7:28 pm

maccamob wrote:I'd delete it too. Not sure if that will also remove the entry on the TB Page though. :?
only one way to find out......

Biggles Bear

Post by Biggles Bear » 27 January 04 8:37 pm

Deleting the log from the cache page has no effect on the TB's presence in our cache, and no effect on the TB's log page the TB's # which I do not have is required for this. I have contact the TB owner and asked them to amend the TB page.

The Ginger Loon
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by The Ginger Loon » 28 January 04 12:27 am

:twisted: Email the owners dad and see if he has the tracking number, then move it to a TB graveyard :twisted: