Repairing caches (not your own)

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
nomad_penguin
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Repairing caches (not your own)

Post by nomad_penguin » 09 November 06 10:14 am

Sincere apologies if this has been discussed before - I looked and looked, but couldn't find anything.

We may cache out in the bush this weekend in locations that are visited very seldomly. When reading the cache pages in preparation, I have noticed that some of the caches need repair, and have needed repair for quite a while.

In the past I have had no problem dropping off another pen, or adding an extra log book when the old one has become full. However, I feel a bit funny about replacing a container, even if it really needs it. I guess this is because I probably won't have exactly the same container and it feels a bit like meddling with someone else's property!

Any hints? It would be much appreciated. It seems a shame not to help maintain far away caches, but I want to do it in the right (acceptable) way.

Cheers

- nomad

Cached
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 09 November 06 10:35 am

Especially if it's out in the middle of nowhere, go for it.

Unless it is specially cammo'd and thats part of the hide, it will no doubt be appreciated.

Mr Walker
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Mr Walker » 09 November 06 11:27 am

I have replaced a few where they could not be repaired. I make a note in the logs that they may not now match the original container, and also notify the owner.

Spruce Mooses
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by Spruce Mooses » 09 November 06 4:59 pm

I've replaced entire containers and had mine replaced. I was really greatful that it was done, it certainly saved me the cache maintenance journey.
When I re-hid the cache that I replaced, I took photos of the new container and the hide to make sure they knew what it was all ok.
If it's a cache you think is worth it then sure, replace it and send a note to the owner. If you think it would be better archived then let them know that way too.

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 09 November 06 5:15 pm

I've replaced some off my own back when I have found they need it if I had a spare container handy. Or if I have let it be known I am going somewhere have been asked to do so beforehand.

If you know which ones you are targetting and which might need a repair job, you could always email the owner first and ask if they would like you to replace it. In which case they might even arrange to meet you before with a spare container.

Rabbitto
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Rabbitto » 09 November 06 5:45 pm

Spruce Mooses wrote:I've replaced entire containers and had mine replaced. I was really greatful that it was done, it certainly saved me the cache maintenance journey.
<p>Ditto.

<p>Balance of post deleted.
Last edited by Rabbitto on 09 November 06 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 09 November 06 7:02 pm

I wouldn't replace a cache I couldn't find.

I would replace a cache CONTAINER that was damaged if I had a spare with me (which I generally do).

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 09 November 06 7:46 pm

Replacing missing caches is very commendable. I don't think people should then be claiming a find on it!
Also doing it with archived caches is not a good idea!

There was some confusion with a local cache a few months ago. The first wp was at the same coords as a cache which had been archived a couple of years previously after it had been lost. The last "finder" of the archived cache had put out a replacement which the owners hadn't removed. (They had archived it several months earlier) The new multi had been active for over a year before a few people started logging that they had found the cache at wp1!

Freddo

Post by Freddo » 09 November 06 8:10 pm

If you are going anywhere near Thud I will give you a new container. Biscuit tins make very poor cache containers.

Richary

Post by Richary » 09 November 06 11:36 pm

Freddo wrote:If you are going anywhere near Thud I will give you a new container. Biscuit tins make very poor cache containers.
<p>Slight chance I will be that way on Saturday, if I am going that way for a day out I will take a spare with me in case I get that far.

Cached

Post by Cached » 09 November 06 11:43 pm

I remember thud...

Dik:
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Dik: » 10 November 06 1:26 pm

I have replaced more existing cache containers than put out new ones of my own.

If earlier logs have requested a new container I try to make a point of having something suitable with me.

I also always carry a supply of extra large zip top bags with me, they make excellent emergency cache liners. And a small towel to dry out wet containers and/or contents.

If the previous two methods aren't appropriate and the cache doesn't look like surviving I will try to make up a suitable container and contents from what's on hand.

But under no circumstances will I replace a container if I couldn't find the identifiable remains of the previous one. That's just logged as a DNF.

tank47
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by tank47 » 12 November 06 8:45 am

8) 8) I believe in the WE in Caching, that is I am willing to maintain a cache on the run, or as a planned activity after contacting the owner when a previous log has indicated repairs are needed. <p>I will always try and leave the cache is as good or better condition than how I found it. :D :D

LazyLeopard
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by LazyLeopard » 13 November 06 11:13 am

Damo. wrote:Replacing missing caches is very commendable. I don't think people should then be claiming a find on it!
Yeah, all sorts of scope for confusion there. I'd figure that replacing the container of a cache you've found but don't own is OK provided you're doing a more-or-less like-for-like swap, but if you don't know for certain exactly where the old container was hidden then you're in no position to hide a new one.

Cached

Post by Cached » 13 November 06 3:14 pm

note to add all this to wiki.