Missing TB's or Coins

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Fairly Magic
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Missing TB's or Coins

Post by Fairly Magic » 09 November 06 8:28 am

Hi

Just wondering what the protocol is when you visit a cache and it's listed as containing a TB or coin, but when you get there the cache is bare?

For example, we hid a cache and placed a travel bug in it, now the latest finders log indicates the TB is not there. Do I as cache owner contact all the finders and ask if they took it and forgot to log it? Do I send a note to the bug owner hi-lighting the log and leave it to them?

Recently I found a cache that was supposed to have a coin in it, but the cache was bare. I contacted the next finder who indicated their caching partner might have it and hadn't logged it. But a check on the cache page still has the coin listed.

Thoughts anyone?

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 09 November 06 1:02 pm

As cache owner you can remove a TB which is listed as being in your cache. Go to the TB page and there is a "Mark as Missing" link IIRC.

If it isn't your cache, mentioning that it isn't there in your log should give the cache owner or TB owner the idea that it could perhaps be missing. Then it's up to them what they want to do.
Sending them a note would be a nice thing to do. Contacting all the previous visitors might be something they will do before putting it in a TB graveyard.

After a couple of logs saying a TB is not there in one of my caches (or in one instance when one was placed virtually with a "lost this TB a few months ago in China" log!) I will remove them from my cache and notify the owner.

LazyLeopard
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by LazyLeopard » 13 November 06 11:17 am

Yeah, there's always the possibility that whoever grabbed the bug hasn't yet logged it, but a note in the cache log is a good idea. After that it's up the the bug and cache owners to figure something...