Call for comment - locationless cache resurection

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 01 November 06 12:01 pm

If you can hold off pesky... the new version of GCA will have an integrated log gallery totally suited to the Big List (actually it was a cache I had in mind when coding it).
Locationless caches will also have their own area too.

The only problem is we dont know when we will be updating the site.......It is all ready to go though.

I'd like to see it listed here.

Those who will object to it will be the people who object to anything being listed here....

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 November 06 12:40 pm

I would do them if they were listed here :-)

Spruce Mooses
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by Spruce Mooses » 01 November 06 12:54 pm

I'm all for locationless, as long as it's something cool and not on every street corner (big things and mermaids cool, fire trucks and old signs not)
Not sure how that would be monitored but hopefully we can keep it to worthy and exciting

Cached
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 01 November 06 4:45 pm

They seem to be doing all right at the moment.

There's only a handfull, but they get some traffic.

Team Pathfinder
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found

Post by Team Pathfinder » 01 November 06 5:07 pm

I would love to see the return of the locationless cache - provided they require a degree of thought etc etc. You know what I mean :lol:

I used to love trying to find something to fill the requirements as I didnt get too much chance to find actual physical caches because we lived remote and geocaching never took off in our area. (its a tad slow getting off the ground in our new location too :cry: :cry: )

Brethren of the Coast

Post by Brethren of the Coast » 01 November 06 8:16 pm

where did the poll go?

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 01 November 06 10:07 pm

I thought I would give waymarking a go when it came up, and ended up moderating the campgrounds category. After an initial flurry of locations it died off and I didn't bother responding when they changed the rules about approvers. I also posted 3 waymarks in Adelaide but only had one log each if that so figured people here just weren't interested.

Not that I was that interested, but thought in the spirit of the game I would try it.

When locationless were on the GC site I did log them, and would do so if they were here on GCA - as long as they were worthwhile anyway.

Rabbitto
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Rabbitto » 01 November 06 10:58 pm

My name is Rabbitto and it has been just over two years since I logged a locationless cache.

{Hi Rabbitto}

It only happened the once. We were out with all the other geocachers. We just did all the mild stuff, you know, traditionals, multis, you know the usual. We felt great, you know, part of the gang. Then one day, someone came up and said "hey, how about a locationless cache. It's so easy". We didn't know what to think. We said "No" of course, but there was our stat page. All the other caches, webcams, mystery, but no locationless. Every night we would think about it and try to justify doing it. Eventually, one night, we succumbed to temptation. We did the unthinkable and logged a locationless cache. It felt great. There was a locationless stat on our page. On OUR page. We knew in our heart it was wrong but we didn't care.

The next morning we woke and we realised what we had done but it was too late. The locationless label was indelibly etched on our page. We tried to ignore it but it would not go away. We felt so subconcious and imagined that people were crossing the road to avoid us. "There are those people who did a locationless cache" we imagined them whispering.

The one thing this did do is it made us strong. Strong enough to never, never want to do it again. Eventually the government of the day saw the harm that these caches were doing and in the way of Thalidomide or Asbestos, they banished them to the dark hell where they would never, never see the light of day again - waymarking.com

Today, we have learned to deal with our mistake and though the work of LCAnonymous I hope we have helped others to do the same. That one solitary log keeps us on the straight and narrow. We could scrub the log of course, but we keep it as a reminder. Stay strong brothers.

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 01 November 06 11:13 pm

I too was addicted to locationless caches. first it was a trig, then big gun. eventually I was chasing palamdrones and streets with my surname. I was hooked.

It took the firm guidance of Jeremy and the crew at GC central to force me off the habit. I feel better now, but I still have that label on my stats page. Sure I can get rid of it, but it would be like ignoring a piece of your life that actually happened. I need it there to remind me (and keep me above 500 finds).

Today, I get more joy out of a long walk, followed by a frustrated mathematical conumdrum and a hour-plus search before I get that next log find.

Cached

Post by Cached » 02 November 06 12:36 am

states that n afterimage projected on a a more distant surface appears bigger than the same after image projected ona a nearby surface
So take your long walk, strip off at the end, and feel the freedom of the locationless cache!

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 02 November 06 3:02 am

Cached wrote:So take your long walk, strip off at the end, and feel the freedom of the locationless cache!
And do a Matt Harding while you're at it! :D

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 02 November 06 8:48 am

Spruce Mooses wrote:I'm all for locationless, as long as it's something cool and not on every street corner (big things and mermaids cool, fire trucks and old signs not)
Not sure how that would be monitored but hopefully we can keep it to worthy and exciting
You can't do that, except perhaps with a user rating system.
If you allow one you have to allow them all no matter how "worthy" you think it is. Everyones idea of "worthy" is different.
The sport has always worked like this, if you don't like a cache you don't have to do it, there is no harm in listing something.

EcoDave :)

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 02 November 06 3:37 pm

Weird Story.
Soon after creating a multi at a local church with some historic stuff we were down near Victor Harbor and as a family went to some miniature world with the kids. In these bad 'ol days locationless still existed so I thought there maybe some chance of getting one. (Obviously missing the total glee and excitement of a miniature world... :P ). As we were looking around and spotted a weird bird house for doves we spied a familiar looking church.
Yep, there it was, a miniatiure of the obscure church we had just put a real cache next to 100km away, complete with miniature people.

From that day on I think I swore off Locationless caches, bad for the psychic balance and general stability of the universe.
Go log a locationless if you like but don't blame me when your whole time-space continuim collapses and you find yourself inside a plastic box. :o