?? Future of Geocaching ??

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 26 January 04 9:48 pm

riblit wrote:Dave wrote:
...In Sydney, the biggest problem I find is that there seems to be a big void around the north western suburbs where only a few of us live...
That's 'cause we are always going over to the Northern Shores where there are more caches.. :lol:

There are a few caches in the mountains without your marks in their log books..
Yep, but even Richmond at the base of the mountains is 30 minutes drive from Baulkham Hills. So a typical mountains cache on the Bells Rd would entail maybe 1.5hrs driving return, not exactly trivial. Similar thing for the North Shore.

EcoDave :)

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Re: ?? Future of Geocaching ??

Post by leek » 26 January 04 10:35 pm

EcoTeam wrote:There seems to be a big void around the north western suburbs where only a few of us live.
Where do you want them Dave & Nic??? I'll come over there and place a few, as long as you promise to do the occasional cache checks & maintenance... (assuming you can find them in the first place of course :D)

SNIFTER
500 or more caches logged

Post by SNIFTER » 26 January 04 10:55 pm

It would be nice to have a few caches in our area that we haven't put down as well.
There are some caches towards your way that you haven't done. Tower 126, Dust Hole.

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by leek » 26 January 04 11:07 pm

SNIFTER wrote:It would be nice to have a few caches in our area that we haven't put down as well.
OK... I'll venture into 2 Dogs territory as well soon... (under the same proviso as expressed to the Ecos above)

As you may have guessed, I have a bit of time on my hands at the moment... :P

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found

Re: ?? Future of Geocaching ??

Post by EcoTeam » 26 January 04 11:16 pm

leek wrote:
EcoTeam wrote:There seems to be a big void around the north western suburbs where only a few of us live.
Where do you want them Dave & Nic??? I'll come over there and place a few, as long as you promise to do the occasional cache checks & maintenance... (assuming you can find them in the first place of course :D)
Thanks Leek.
Anywhere that corrects this huge non-linear distribution of caches is most welcome! We'd be happy to help out.
www.alternatezone.com/ecoteam/images/SydneyCacheMap.jpg
Out Parramatta way is a long way to come to maintain and find caches huh? :wink:
Needless to say, our Not Found/Not Placed map has an even bigger gap through the middle of Sydney :(

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 26 January 04 11:17 pm

EcoTeam wrote:
riblit wrote:Dave wrote:[quote...
Yep, but even Richmond at the base of the mountains is 30 minutes drive from Baulkham Hills. So a typical mountains cache on the Bells Rd would entail maybe 1.5hrs driving return, not exactly trivial. Similar thing for the North Shore.

I'll have a look at the maps to see what else is suitable cache material in the hills area. How far from Crestwood High are you?

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by EcoTeam » 26 January 04 11:30 pm

riblit wrote:
EcoTeam wrote:
riblit wrote:Dave wrote:[quote...

I'll have a look at the maps to see what else is suitable cache material in the hills area. How far from Crestwood High are you?
Just across the creek.
The new EcoTeam HQ is at:
33 44.493
150 58.488

The Ginger Loon
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by The Ginger Loon » 27 January 04 10:39 am

EcoTeam wrote:1.5hrs driving return, not exactly trivial.
You shouldn't have bought that big house in Crestwood then... :wink:

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 27 January 04 5:39 pm

EcoTeam Wrote:
Needless to say, our Not Found/Not Placed map has an even bigger gap through the middle of Sydney
this will fill in part of the gap.
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... ?ID=113724
Hopefully someone will approve it...

SNIFTER

Post by SNIFTER » 27 January 04 6:40 pm

We have popped one out thataway as well.
Is 3 Kms as the crow flies too far?

Bronze

Your kidding - Right!

Post by Bronze » 27 January 04 9:58 pm

You have got to be kidding - How comfy do you want it!

Next you'll all want dial a cache. Or would you like the last at the cache to leave their phone number so you can ring the LTF and ask what condition your cache is in.

Cachers out here don't typically travel 100's of K's to find one cache but it does happen. Before Red Ochre and my time it was nothing for Geo-Nads and Team '80' to do a ~800 kilometer round trip to log three caches.

Last weekend I put my kids into Vacation Care for the day so Mix76 and I could log a cache "Hand On Rock" which was a 410k round trip and took up a 7 hour day - for 1 find. Were not expecting a medal but we enjoy a find more because of the effort we go to.

Congratulations to ToolkiT for being to only Sydney team to come to Dubbo for an Event. Well done!

What was the topic again by the way :roll: .

riblit
It's the journey.
It's the journey.

Post by riblit » 27 January 04 10:08 pm

Bronze said:
Last weekend I put my kids into Vacation Care for the day so Mix76 and I could log a cache "Hand On Rock" which was a 410k round trip and took up a 7 hour day - for 1 find.
We see "the country" on TV here - we know you drive 400Km to do your weekly shopping... :)

SNIFTER

Post by SNIFTER » 27 January 04 10:25 pm

It is nothing to do over 400km in one day for caching. We did 500 a couple of weeks ago to place one , look for 3 and find 2.
We did a 600km, an overnight stay, and a very long walk ( not sure but I think it was over 3hours) to place a cache and not find another.
We are used to that sort of thing.
Another was 550km to hunt for 2 , find 1 and do maintanance on 1 and place one. A very long day indeed.
Just to get to the other side of the city can take us at least 11/2 hours.
I am not complaining in case you are all wondering. I love the drive. I also love the scenery.

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 27 January 04 10:34 pm

Ok let's get back to the thread topic people.<P>

I know why I didn't attend the bash at Dubbo.... not sharing it with anyone now as it is OLD NEWS.... and people should remember what they say to others has a habit of getting out. If you want to start a mudslinging match about the pros and cons of geocaching in the city verses the country how about another thread???...
<P>
Thanks and now back to the main topic of conversation....... THE FUTURE OF GEOCACHING ... not the past....

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by EcoTeam » 28 January 04 7:51 am

The Ginger Loon wrote:
EcoTeam wrote:1.5hrs driving return, not exactly trivial.
You shouldn't have bought that big house in Crestwood then... :wink:
I argued to buy near the greatest mass of caches in Sydney, but silly things like access to work and quality of living won ou. Go figure :?