Screen protectors

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
chase'em
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Screen protectors

Post by chase'em » 11 October 06 8:34 pm

I have just purchased a new GPS (60CS), Does anyone have any suggestions where to buy or what to use to protect the screen. I thought I read somewhere to use clear contact, does it work without doing any damage if replaced later. I've checked out USA it's cheap to buy made to measure screen protectors but price jumps for postage.
Chase'em

Cached
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 11 October 06 8:49 pm

grab a pack of PDA covers and cut down to size.

should cost you about $20 from memory.

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 12 October 06 12:59 am

When it's all too late .. :oops: what is the best method and material for removing scratches??

Udderchaos
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Udderchaos » 12 October 06 8:04 am

lots of cash

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 12 October 06 9:35 am

Pesky! wrote:you can purchase the front screen s as replaceable parts for many of the GPS's but i don't now how much iot would cost,and you'd probably be better off getting the manufacturer to replace if for you anyway.
G'day

I had GME replace a screen on a Yellow eTrex. Cost me $15.00 plus a 10 minute wait and oh the drive south of the river to their offices.

Andrew

Navigull
1000 or more caches found

Post by Navigull » 12 October 06 10:47 am

When it's all too late .. icon_redface.gif what is the best method and material for removing scratches??
Been there done that :(

I got a pot of ? name blue coloured, perspex polish. (try a plastic sheet supplier) I polished away for a total of perhaps 2 hours and was pleased to see the rather deep scratch disappear. :)

However there was a minor problem that is only visible with side lighlighting. There becomes visible a wavy pattern, looking for all the world like mostly transparent contour lines around the polished area. :?

It appears the screen is sort of laminated and my polishing had cut through the top couple of layers. It was still a great improvement on the nasty scratch though.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 12 October 06 12:11 pm

Navigull wrote:There becomes visible a wavy pattern, looking for all the world like mostly transparent contour lines around the polished area. :?
On a GPSr, of all things, spurious contour lines could be interesting!
You could be climbing hills that aren't really there...

Navigull

Post by Navigull » 12 October 06 2:13 pm

On a GPSr, of all things, spurious contour lines could be interesting!
In normal use with the unit switched on you do not see the "lines" They are only discernable looking obliquely across the screen and I did say "almost transparent". I did try to photograph them but I never could get the effect to show. My reason for mentioning it was that polishing is not totally with out side effects. :roll:

Mind you when almost exhausted and looking for an excuse to abort a mission, having a bigger hill to climb could make for a good excuse to go somewhere more salubrious. :wink:

Sunshine Toledo
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Screen protector

Post by Sunshine Toledo » 13 October 06 10:10 am

You can buy it on EBay for a dollar or two. Look under screen protector or screen savers. It is sold out of Sydney and Melbourne and I bought two sheets A4 size for $2.50 and I just cut off what I need. I cover my PDA, my GPS and my mobile phone with it. And I have enough for 10 years, I reckon.

Cached

Post by Cached » 13 October 06 12:28 pm

The guys at work swear by an alternative type of screen protector that doesn't have a sticky back, is super clear and washable.

Anybody know much about this alternative? They are about $20 each.