how do you maintain a camelback hydration system?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Chwiliwr
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by Chwiliwr » 09 October 06 9:30 pm

According to the experts at Kathmandu I asked just a few days ago when I was buying a new backpack you keep the bladder in the freezer when not in use. According to them it doesn't allow any bugs to grow. It also means you don't have to get it absolutely dry when storing it.

They also recommended not using the pills, etc to clean a dirty one as they don't trust the result.

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 09 October 06 9:39 pm

We have a few of them.
I have one main one I use (2 litre) when I am out enduro riding, mainly fill it with filtered water and apple juice at a ratio of 70/30.
(As we all know this is better than plain water as the body stores it more due to the citric added to it).

When I come back I simply remove the bladder from my enduro jacket (It fits into the back section in the layer above the body armour, not inot a backpack)..
I then drain the remainder (if any) out, and then force HOT water back into the bladder via the drinkiing tube until it is about 1/4 full.
Blow the rest of it up with air via same tube and shake the living crappers outa it.
I then drain via drinking tube and refill with cold water to rinse, then I hang it on the clothes line with the drinking tube inserted into the main cap (removed) to kinda open it up to the air. (You can get frames to open in them to do this )
I leave it for a day (or 5) to dry out.
Have never had an issue with any algae or anything. If I am using it a lot (2-3 days a week), I throw some of the cleaning stuff and tablets thru it every fortnight-month.

You can also buy proper cleansing tablets and stuff like shown below:

http://www.camelbak.com.au/secureshop/p ... ductID=195

http://www.camelbak.com.au/secureshop/p ... ductID=162

http://www.camelbak.com.au/secureshop/p ... ductID=118

Derringer
2500 or more caches found

Post by Derringer » 09 October 06 10:04 pm

We use 1 and 2 litre water bladders extensively whilst out walking

For drinking bladders you can buy from Bushwalking shops a cleaning kit, which has a couple of brushes.
one brush is to clean the drinking tube - it resembles a brush you clean rifle barrels with, but is mounted on flexible wire.
The other is a larger brush to clean the inside of the bladder.
Our kit cost approx $20.00 a few years ago.

Very effective, :)
We only store water in our bladders, but algae can build up after a few weeks.
We only use water to clean the bladders and tubes.We store the bladders dry in a cupboard away from sunlight.

Kevin

Burning Possum
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by Burning Possum » 09 October 06 10:46 pm

I pretty much do the same as the others pesky, only difference i have bent up a wire coat hanger to act as an airing frame. I have found it takes about 3 days in winter to dry out a 1.5l bladder and 5 days for the 2l bladder.

I have also found that a table spoon of Bicarb soda in hot water and rinsed through the bladder gets rid of any plastic taste.

Burning Possum

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 09 October 06 11:09 pm

I have had one for 2 years, never cleaned it, never dried it.
It lives in a dark cupboard and is sealed when not in use.
Nothing has grown in it yet and the water tastes fine. :!: :?: :shock:
It also never gets air in it, only has water and is always filled to overflowing.
With very little oxygen,no light and nothing to eat I don't think anything is going to breed.
I could well be wrong but freezing does sound like a good idea regardless.
BTW, mine is a Black Wolf.
Last edited by Zytheran on 10 October 06 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cached

Post by Cached » 10 October 06 12:30 am

I've got a few different ones.

The camel back one seems never to get yucky - the cheap ones need looking after to stop them growing.

Maybe the plastics are different?

WitchPig
1000 or more caches found

Post by WitchPig » 10 October 06 5:53 am

For my Camelbak, I use sterilization tablets used for baby products to clean it out. I also flush it out with a lot of hot water.

However, you will find that Mountain Designs has a new bladder system that is antimicrobial. No foul plasitic taste in it either!

Wingaap

Post by Wingaap » 10 October 06 9:50 am

We just rinse out out with a bicarb initially, then a hot water flush. We also use the bent coat hanger to help with drying.

GammaPiSigma
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by GammaPiSigma » 10 October 06 10:42 am

Rinse in hot soapy water, hang it on a butchers hook and stuff it with paper towel to help dry it out. Close all the seals and store out of sunlight (I store mine in my walking pack ready for the next walk). Never had a problem using this method.
<br><br>
Mike.

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 10 October 06 12:30 pm

<p>I have Camelbak 3 litre and Platypis BigZip 3 litre bladders</p>

<p>After use I just rinse them out and allow them to dry completely before putting them away</p>

<p>Other hints I have come across, but never had to use:
  • To freshen your camelbak, add about 2 teaspoons of baking soda to a full reservoir of water and let it soak overnight. Rinse with warm water.
  • To sanitize your camelbak, add about 2 teaspoons of bleach to a full reservoir of water and let it soak overnight. Rinse with warm water.
</p>

Team Pathfinder
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found

Post by Team Pathfinder » 10 October 06 4:51 pm

Wingaap wrote:We just rinse out out with a bicarb initially, then a hot water flush. We also use the bent coat hanger to help with drying.
Ah ha - I thought it was just me that used the hanger trick. Since seeing a plastic device that held the bladder open for drying and thinking I am not going to pay that for that bit of plastic I decided to do the old bend the metal coat hanger. It works wonderfully, and you can hang your bladder at the same time. I rinse in hot water too and have used the freezer trick when I am going to be out in extreme heat.

By the way - I have a Deuter.

psychokat
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by psychokat » 10 October 06 11:06 pm

I just spent 10 minutes in the black hole that is my old magazine cupboard. According to theOutdoor Gear Guide 2006 to clean a bladder fill with warm water and no more than a teaspoon of chlorine bleach.You can buy a tool from the camping shops to clean the hose but gauze on the end of coat hanger wire, trumpet brushes and fish tank cleaning tools. Soak the bladder overnight and rinse very well with warm water.
To remove odours and flavours mix 1/2 cup of baking soda with 1.5 cups water. Pour into bladder and shake well. Holding the bladder away from your face add 1/2 cup of lemon juice and shake. Be aware that this will cause gas to build up in the bladder so be sure to let it vent well. After the effervescence has settled (about 10 minutes) expel as much air as possible, cap the bladder and let it sit for about 20 minutes. Rinse completely several times with hot water. At any time, a few drops of lemon juice will reduce the plastic taste.
I haven't tried either method for my camelback. I only have water in it when I use it so I empty it out let it dry by hanging on a coat hanger and then when I store it I put in some paper towel. I haven't used mine in 3 months and no problems.