Caching Topics A to Z # 18 Requirements for logging

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Mix
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Caching Topics A to Z # 18 Requirements for logging

Post by Mix » 07 October 06 11:32 pm

[quote]Wiki
Some caches include additional tasks that the owner wants finders to do before logging a find. These are usually fun or interesting tasks that add to the cache experience. Such tasks are rare and are generally included on an “if you donÂ’t mindÂâ€

Rabbitto
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Rabbitto » 07 October 06 11:37 pm

When I saw the topic, I thought it was about the need to cut down trees in order to reach a cache.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 07 October 06 11:47 pm

I've seen a cacher have to log a DNF on a *virtual* due to the owner wanting something majorly specific on a cache!

I've logged one virtual as a find after NO contact from the owner in 4 weeks. (You had to go to a spot and report a date back to the owner... I'm local to the cache)

If the owner places expectation of being contacted for some kind of confirmation, they should do their best to deal with it ASAP. If their situation changes, then the cache should be modified to take that into account.

I don't really like ones where you have to contact someone for verification.

TeamBeanDare
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by TeamBeanDare » 08 October 06 12:09 am

I personally don't like the idea of having to bow to someone elses wishes just to log a cache. I actually place them on my ignore list. I cache for myself and not for the owners of the cache.

I place caches for others to find. If they wan't to lie and log the cache without emailing me the answers to some inane questions, so be it.

I can't remember ever going back and checking a log book for someones log because I didn't think they actually visited the site. (Who cares!! say the little voices in my head. It's their loss)

Why do I cache? For fun and to visit great places. Usually I get one of my wishes and on those rare occasions (you should check out "Waay Down South" when it's back up) I get both.

Cached
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 08 October 06 12:25 am

Who said Virtuals can't be hard?

Most people don't log their DNFs - but they are out there. I had a quick look, but have heard of no finds on "The Dish" and have definately had some on "Daniel Herbert". I bet theres really been a heap on the "More Movie Trivia" and "Piggy's Virtual Trivia" here in Adelaide.

As long as the difficulty reflects, I don't see a problem with a DNF on a virtual.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 08 October 06 12:42 am

For a traditional, logbook-to-sign cache, I think further requirements are just silly and annoying.

When I get a new gc.com cache to review that has such, I warn the (usually inexperienced) placer that they're probably going to be unpopular if they enforce the requirement. And if they don't enforce it, why bother having it there?
If they insist, though, it's within the guidelines and it's their cache and I publish it.

As per the wiki entry, asking for a optional photo or proof of a task is OK by me, as long as it's understood that it's a request and not a requirement.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 08 October 06 12:55 am

Cached wrote:As long as the difficulty reflects, I don't see a problem with a DNF on a virtual.
The one I was refering to asked 'What was remarkable about this individual' or something.... there were numerous things... the person tried 2 or 3 times but got a NO back...then he gave up.

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 08 October 06 8:44 am

I logged a DNF on this cache

http://geocaching.com.au/cache/gcjp16

Simply because the cache is in such a location that most people wouldn't be out this way very often and i didn't believe i should have to pay to complete a cache, A photo of me in front of the item wouldn't that be enough?

anyway if you want to read my log you can so on the GCA listing as surprise surprise it was deleted off the GC site. i guess some people don't like having a DNF on their cache.

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Post by The Garner Family » 08 October 06 9:21 am

For a traditional I reckon the only requirement is that you put your name in the logbook.

For a puzzle/mystery/multi cache... the owner can use discretion as to whether the person actually solved the puzzle (see the discusion on convoy caching).

For a webcam cache you should have to have a photo taken with the webcam & published with the log... it is *not* enough to take a photo with your own camera at the site!

Aushiker
350 ? I am the lizard queen
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 08 October 06 10:07 am

Hi

I have no problem with people having to post me answers to questions on my virtuals. If the answers are not correct, no smiley (and I have deleted logs). It is just the same as a physical IMO, if you don't actually find the container no smiley.

If people don't like it, they can move on ... their lost in my view as both my virtuals are good spots. Well I think they are.

Regards
Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on 09 October 06 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aushiker
Twitter: Aushiker

Post by Aushiker » 08 October 06 10:10 am

GIN51E wrote:anyway if you want to read my log you can so on the GCA listing as surprise surprise it was deleted off the GC site. i guess some people don't like having a DNF on their cache.
Well there is at least one other DNF logged on the gc.com pages.

Andrew

Cached

Post by Cached » 08 October 06 10:20 am

I think I have only one cache with requirements on it.

It's this one, and nobody seems to have a problem complying.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... ?wp=GCNPWN

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 08 October 06 10:26 am

Mix quoting from the Wiki wrote:Some caches include additional tasks that the owner wants finders to do before logging a find. These are usually fun or interesting tasks that add to the cache experience.
Surely Multi-caches can cover this kind of thing within different waypoints. These can make for a fun and interesting journey. They don't appeal to some people but many people do find them rewarding.
Aside from Webcams or virtuals which may request a photo, I can't see the benefit in a Traditional cache requiring additional tasks to log a find. If the placer wants to make that requirement though, it's up to them.
Cached wrote:Who said Virtuals can't be hard?
My only virtual is rated a 5/5.

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 08 October 06 12:09 pm

Cached wrote:I think I have only one cache with requirements on it.

It's this one, and nobody seems to have a problem complying.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... ?wp=GCNPWN
http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0337
What about this one?! :lol:

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

you want me to do what ?

Post by If » 08 October 06 9:02 pm

I've found a few caches with requirements on them. Usually just a photo or an answer to a question. As long as the requirement fits with the theme of the cache and is easy to fulfil I have no problems with trying to oblige :D
A classic example I found was TeamAstros'
Don't Look at the Sun cache. I had a great time finding the required items to photograph to fulfil the requirements of the cache find 8)