Geo-Quiz

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Bronze

Geo-Quiz

Post by Bronze » 19 January 04 11:59 am

... and now for something different! :lol:

Use your web skills to answer the following questions. Post your intention to participate but don't post answers here. You can debate answers with eath other afterwards.

What do you win? - Nothing but the satisfaction of winning!

Read the instructions below the questions on how to enter.

(1) Apart from all being in NSW what do Albury, Armidale, Bombala, Lake George, Orange and Tumut have in common with each other?

(2) Rounded to the nearest whole number - what percentage does the Australian Continent take up of the globes land area?

(3) What and Where is Australia's shortest state border? (Co-ords not needed).

(4) Which Capital is this?
(Deliberately small)

(5) Of all the States and Territories, Which state has the most land dedicated to nature conservation reserves?

(6) What large scale change happened to the Australian continent during the early Cretaceous period (140myo)?

(7) As the Cocky Flies - What is the distance between Adelaide and Darwin cities? Adelaide: Latitude: -34.929º Longitude: 138.601º Darwin: Latitude: -12.463º Longitude: 130.841º

(8) Locate and name this land feature? Image

(9) Provide the co-ordinates of Australia's furthest point From any coastline?

(10) Where and what is Australia's greatest variance in temperature? (Co-ords not needed).

Cut and paste the questions with your answers to thebronzemailbox@yahoo.com.
You will receive a confirmation that night. I will release all marks and post your responses on the evening of Sunday the 25th by 7pm. Entries close 12 noon AEST on that day.

This is posted as a fun activity - arguments will not be entered into. Don't ask for hints or assistance.
Genuine errors will be admitted but "The teacher is always right!"

The Bronze.

Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Gunn Parker » 19 January 04 12:29 pm

Great idea, sounds like fun
Andrew

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 19 January 04 12:50 pm

Looks like someone is getting use out of the new 1:250 k maps with sat images :)

Quasar
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found
Twitter: quasar217

I'm in!

Post by Quasar » 19 January 04 9:38 pm

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 22 January 04 10:45 am

Hi

I'm glad it was easy. I was ready to goto bed about 7:30pm after the hard day at work I had. Did all 10 question in about 5 mins. You should get an email soon.

Dooghan

Bronze

Slackers!

Post by Bronze » 24 January 04 10:57 am

Come on you slack #%&*#!

You have today and tomorrow morning to submit your answers. Don't let Dooghan win by default!

Bronze.

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 30 January 04 4:57 pm

And the winner was?????? :?

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 30 January 04 6:43 pm

me.........if I am the only one that did it. I think I got 9/10 right but the slack Bronze has not told me yet.

Dooghan

SNIFTER
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by SNIFTER » 30 January 04 10:19 pm

I prefer to go caching and not spend my time in front of the computer.
Good luck to all.

Bronze

It's a Tie!

Post by Bronze » 31 January 04 2:09 am

Yeah - I better mark these Eh. Though I mark stuff I'm getting paid for first.

There were only two takers for the Quiz. Both did really well.

Dooghan got (3) and (9) wrong.
Darren got (3) and (6) wrong.

So I guess it's a tie - well done to those participants.

Here's the answers-

http://www.ga.gov.au/education/facts/

(1) Apart from all being in NSW what do Albury, Armidale, Bombala, Lake George, Orange and Tumut have in common with each other?

(A) -
Australian Capital Territory - New South Wales Border
After Federation in 1901, it was decided that a seat of government for the new nation should be selected. The new capital would not be selected from existing state capitals to prevent further rivalry, particularly between Melbourne and Sydney. Several possible locations were suggested, including Albury, Armidale, Bombala, Lake George, Orange and Tumut.
In 1903, the House of Representatives initially selected the Bombala region by ballot. A change of government in 1904 favoured Dalgety, but political fortunes reversed again in 1905, and the question was thrown open once more. Three areas were considered and visited by parliamentarians in 1906; Dalgety, Canberra, and Lake George. John Gale, then proprietor of the Queanbeyan Age, delivered a paper, 'Dalgety or Canberra which?', setting forth the virtues of Canberra in glowing terms:
"We have shown that in every essential factor Canberra stands unrivalled. It possesses water supply for all possible requirements; in summer and winter its climate has all the desirable conditions; in accessibility it has decided advantages over Dalgety; in fertility of soil and hygienic conditions nothing is left to be desired; its possession of stone, timbers, clays, and other mineral deposits are close at hand and inexhaustible; and its scenic charms and natural objects are unique and wondrously varied. It is almost impossible to conceive of a site more perfect in all its essentials."
Neither the Federal Parliament nor the NSW State Government were easily convinced, and the counter claims of Dalgety were promoted rigorously. On 9th October, 1908, a ballot win of six votes selected the Yass-Canberra region to be the location of the national capital. Yass-Canberra was defined as a triangle, with Yass at the top corner, Lake George to the east and the Murrumbidgee to the west.
The national capital was known originally known as the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), and formally transferred from New South Wales on January 1st, 1911. Land-locked, the FCT acquired a port when Jervis Bay was also transferred from NSW in 1915. On July 29th, 1938, the FCT was officially legislated as the Australian Capital Territory.

(2) Rounded to the nearest whole number - what percentage does the Australian Continent take up of the world's land area?
Australia's Size Compared
Australia is one of about 210 countries. At 7,692,024 km2, it comprises just five percent of the world's land area (149,450,000 km2), yet it is the planet's sixth largest country after Russia, Canada, China, USA, and Brazil. Australia is also the smallest continental land mass (or largest island).
Whilst the areas of Canada and the United States are similar to Europe, their populations are markedly smaller, by factors of eighteen (3 persons per km2) and two (29 persons per km2) respectively. Australia is not far behind in size, but its population compared to Europe is 30 times smaller. Japan's population density is 336 persons per km2 and the United Kingdom's is 244 persons per km2, compared to Australia's 2.5 persons per km2.
An interesting comparison between the countries in the table is the ratio of the amount of arable land to population, which provides some insight into the possible environmental stresses being exerted on their landscapes.

(3) What and Where is Australia's shortest state border?
Shortest Border:
A little known fact is that there is a land border between Tasmania and Victoria. Straddling the declared parallel line of latitude of 39° 12' S separating the two states is Boundary Islet. This rocky outcrop in Bass Strait measures approximately 85 metres east-west by 160 metres north-south.

(4) Which Capital is this? Canberra - http://www.ga.gov.au/education/facts/ca ... apgame.htm

(5) Of all the States and Territories, Which state has the most land dedicated to nature conservation reserves? South Australia with over 203 700 km2, or more than 20 per cent of the State. The following information is available from Geoscience Australia's Australian Land Tenure map

(6) What happen to the Australian Continent during the early Cretaceous period? About 140 million years ago, Australia was already so flat and low that a major rise in sea level divided it into three landmasses as the shallow Cretaceous sea spread over the land.

(7) As the Cocky Flies - What is the distance between Adelaide and Darwin cities? Adelaide: Latitude: -34.929º Longitude: 138.601º Darwin: Latitude: -12.463º Longitude: 130.841º
http://www.ga.gov.au/bin/distancedraw2? ... -34.928692
Distance is approximately 2616 km
This distance calculator computes the great circle distance between points. It is based on spherical trigonometry, and assumes that one minute of arc is one nautical mile, and one nautical mile is 1.852 km. Indicatively, Cocky Calculations are accurate to:

a few 10s of metres over short (approx. 10 km) lines
a few 100 metres over a few 100 km, and
a few kilometres over 1000s of kilometres.

(8) Locate and name this Land Feature?
Roper River, Northern Territory
The catchment area of the Roper River extends over 80 000 km2, draining south-eastern Arnhem Land to the north, and reaching westwards almost as far as Katherine. Torrential summer rains flood out of Arnhem Land and spread across the low-lying plains, forming massive wet-season swamps. Pockets of dense woodland clad a series of low mountain ranges to the north and south of the river. The river tidal flats exceed 1000 km2 and comprise a network of intricate deltas and extensive mangroves.

(9) Provide the co-ordinates of Australia's furthest point From any coastline?
Furthest Point From The Coastline
A series of concentric circles drawn on transparent material were moved over the top of a 1:5 million scale map of Australia until one circle was found to touch the coast at three points. Think of it as the largest perfect circle that could be drawn anywhere inside Australia that only just touches the coastlines. The centre of the circle was then marked and the coordinates scaled from the map. This method resulted in a good agreement with the centre of gravity procedure. This is remarkable, and due to Australia's shape rather than any general rule of correlation between the two methods.

23 degrees 2 minutes south latitude, 132 degrees 10 minutes east longitude; position on SF53-13 Hermannsburg 1:250,000 and 5351 Glen Helen 1:100,000 scale maps.

(10) Where and what is Australia's greatest variance in temperature? (Co-ords not needed).
Greatest Variance in Temperature White Cliffs
Western New South Wales range of 57 º C
http://www.ga.gov.au/education/facts/di ... imxtre.htm

The Bronze.

traineediplomat
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by traineediplomat » 12 February 04 3:43 pm

When's the next one?

Devar
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life
Twitter: Devar

Post by Devar » 12 February 04 4:21 pm

Someone should plant a cache at that point furtherst from any coast... :lol:

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 12 February 04 5:54 pm

Someone should plant a cache at that point furtherst from any coast...
Well devar, you seem closest. Actually it has given me an idea for a cache in my area. :P

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 14 February 04 10:51 am

Mix76 just planted a cache in the centre of NSW.

The next quiz will be fairly soon if there is enough interest. There were two enterants last time which was lucky. Dooghan fluked it of course. He has an unfair advantage in that he know what I'm like.

I'll host another so someone can kick his arse!

Bronze.