Caching Topics A to Z # 11 Kids

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Mix
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Caching Topics A to Z # 11 Kids

Post by Mix » 27 September 06 8:36 pm

Do you cache with Kids?
Finder Tips?
Hider Tips?
What problems have you had?
Other thoughts?

The Garner Family
1100 or more caches found
1100 or more caches found

Re: Caching Topics A to Z # 11 Kids

Post by The Garner Family » 27 September 06 8:48 pm

Mix wrote:Do you cache with Kids?
Yes, great for them & they give you plenty of excuses to do stupid things while finding the cache... or even better, send them under the boardwalk to get it!
Mix wrote:Finder Tips?
Never found a kid while caching... if I did I'm not sure if I'd swap it for one of my own or not.
Mix wrote:Hider Tips?
I guess you'd need a big container to put them in & a bit of food to last them until the FTF.

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 27 September 06 8:52 pm

Taking my kids caching just adds another great dimension to this game/sport/hobby/obsession. There isn't many activities that are so flexible to adapt to all types of teams, whether they be a team of 1 or the HawMorFords Clan. 8)

mm

ZED!
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by ZED! » 27 September 06 9:06 pm

I do a fair bit of geocaching with the kidz as long as it doesn't involve going off track through prickles.

Detourism
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by Detourism » 27 September 06 9:47 pm

Love going caching with my kids (5 and 9 year old girls). They usually aren't keen when I mention it but once we are out and about they have a ball.

I try to do regular size caches as they enjoy the swaps and the smaller caches usually hold nothing of interest for them. More often than not more time is spent negotiating who will have what swap than we spend on finding the actual cache.

I usually plan the day out to make sure things run smoothly and they don't have time to get bored while we work out which cache to do next. Caches that are not more than 500m walk from the car are also a general rule.

fehrgo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by fehrgo » 27 September 06 10:34 pm

Our daughter (20 months old) absolutely loves caching. She loves to poke around in holes with a stick, and having a look through the cache contents for swaps.

I also enjoy the added freedom of "chasing" my daughter into conspicuous places.

ruzzelz
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by ruzzelz » 27 September 06 10:52 pm

If only my kids would come caching. My daughter came a couple of times but the DNF's when I first started did not help. :(

Then again it is probably not cool to cache with Dad when your 17. :oops:

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 28 September 06 12:14 am

Mix wrote:Do you cache with Kids?
Finder Tips?
Hider Tips?
What problems have you had?
Other thoughts?
Often have my almost 3 year old along, for both hides and finds (see "Where the hell is Matt Harding" :lol: ) although it does sometimes make it difficult to search properly. When caching with kids, make sure you take swaps, as they'll want to keep the ones in the cache! 8) And take a friend, so they can watch the kids while you search for the cache.
When hiding a cache, to make it suitable for cachers with kids it should be in the most obvious place, with a spoiler hint. :wink:
The main problem I've encountered is terrain where I had to carry or support my daughter, and was therefore unable to search properly.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 28 September 06 1:18 am

Most of my caching was done pre-kids. But since I got into a relationship 13 months ago, and moved in 10 months ago that involves 3 kids the caching has changed a little.

The 14yo daughter can take it or leave it, depending on her mood.

The 10yo son enjoys it but loses patience quickly if it isn't an "easy" find.

The 5yo son enjoys it and likes looking for the treasures. He is easily pleased though and doesn't mind too much if we don't find it.

So nowadays I will target the micros or multis if I am out on my own around town as the kids don't enjoy them as much. I often save the easy fun ones for when the kids are with me - unless of course I happen to be a bit away from home or an FTF opportunity presents itself.

burdair_3

Post by burdair_3 » 28 September 06 9:39 am

We do nearly all our caching as a family and at times we have had an extra kid tagging along with us. Although having said that we did head off one day while burdair jnr was at school and boy did we get into trouble.
Burdair jnr will usually tackle most terrains with us but after having a very very close encounter with a snake during one of our searches he (I must add that he isnt the only one :wink: ) now has a bit of a phobia about them so doesnt like walking through long grass.
Hmm as for hiding caches with him, all I can say be warned when he starts hiding his own. :twisted: As he usually wants to climb over every rock to get to the highest peak and then hide the cache under a mountain of rocks. He is soon advised that this will not be the case. :D

traineediplomat
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by traineediplomat » 28 September 06 12:03 pm

does my wife count as a kid....I like the searching, she loves the swapping. We now have a 7mnth old, so when she gets a bit older, we will dust off the GPSr and start cachin' again.

Snuva
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found
Twitter: Snuva

Post by Snuva » 28 September 06 12:44 pm

I don't usualy cache with kids as I don't have any, but I do enjoy caching with young cacher friends like Netballer! However I show no mercy and take her on deathmarches. :D <P>This is a note on a cache from another Tassie cacher, ThatGuy007. I just love it - his children are being raised properly!<P>
I think my youngest daughter (3) is addicted to geocaching. She refused to co-operate in getting ready for daycare today, It was only when my wife said, "Do you want to go geocaching" that she stopped crying and said "yes", and co-operated in getting ready. Hence my second visit to this cache, it's less than 100m from her daycare centre, so we parked in the daycare carparking lot and went to find the cache, she happily trotted after me holding the car that I gave her for a swap. Upon finding the cache, which had a serious case of geo-creep (corrected now), she made her swap, and told me that she wanted to show her daycarer her geocaching swap. I think we'll have a serious cacher on our hands in a few years!! Took: Roller-pen and a sheet of notebook paper Left: Brown 4WD toy car Cheers, ThatGuy

Melook

Cache that Kid

Post by Melook » 28 September 06 1:11 pm

I am a BIG kid at heart so yeah its a good idea to try and get the kids involved without dragging them along by their ankles :)
Can't seem to lose them in the bush though, any pointers :)

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 28 September 06 2:19 pm

We have always taken the kids, with the exception of the harder ones or when just my son and I go out etc. They are handy because they can get away with a lot of "behaviour" that an adult would get questions asked etc. people don't seem to care about kids looking at things, under chairs etc, if an adult was doing that, hmmm.

Plus, if we need to clear some muggles from a spot, send the kids in to annoy them, problem solved.

Mr Walker
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Mr Walker » 28 September 06 4:15 pm

Yes, kids are great for all sorts of tactical purposes, from playground caches where a single old guy can get some funny looks, to checking out structures in Adelaide while appearing to be totally normal. Again, i would get some funny looks if seen in the positions the kids get into. Some caches are placed so that it is almost impossible for an older (and slightly out of condition) cacher to reach, regardless of what position he gets into, and they are really useful then. Although i don't have any kids of my own, I am fortunate to have a wide pool to call on; from students through nieces and nephews to great nieces/newphews and even a few god children. So far i have to fight them off (even the teenagers) because it is a rare delight to go caching with Uncle Walker. (Oh yes they really like the secret identities and the whole secret society bit that goes with caching)