Caching Topics A to Z # 11 Kids

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Bunya

Post by Bunya » 28 September 06 4:47 pm

As this is such a feel-good thread I hate to be a wet blanket.
But when I saw the following
Mix wrote: Finder Tips?
What problems have you had?
this is what came to mind:

I once discovered a cache in a sorry state – visible from 20m away, hide wrecked, box not shut. :( The find log had obviously been written by a young child.
The gc.com found log then appeared admitting/boasting that the geocacher had let his young kiddies find and re-hide it by themselves while he stayed in the car.

I know that there is a special class of cache called APE caches.
I think nearly all caches should be APE – Adult Presence Essential if young kiddies are involved! :wink:

SNIFTER
500 or more caches logged

Post by SNIFTER » 28 September 06 5:50 pm

We take our grandchilren with us on cache outings if we can. They love it especially the swaps. It takes them ages to decide but I love watching them get so excited over everything. The only downer (has been mentioned before) is if it is a micro but they are usually the ones to find it so a littlie can be quite a help.

THENANKS
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by THENANKS » 29 September 06 8:50 pm

We cache with our kids all the time. They are both boys, one is 8 and one is 6. We find that taking their bikes along really speeds things up and we can cover greater distances much more easily. It is even better exercise for us as we have to move a lot quicker to keep up rather than forever strolling slowly with them. They love geocaching and they don't mind a micro search. At first the swaps were vitally important but now the hunt is right up there! We often discuss our "Classic Finds" and each of us has our favourites! Placing caches is also a big deal for the kids they point out possible places as we drive around. I thoroughly recommend getting kids involved. We love our family time. There's never a dull moment!

Udderchaos
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Udderchaos » 29 September 06 9:47 pm

likewise, we have 2 boys 6 & 4 who we take with us pretty much everywhere. They are not quite ready for the madness of an event yet, but they love finding "boxes" and doing the swaps... my youngest found his first cache unassisted (under supervision) yesterday. ok it was one of our caches but he was stoked. Its a great family acivity which can take in all age groups. Thats why we like it

Team Pathfinder
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found

Post by Team Pathfinder » 29 September 06 10:15 pm

While its really great that geocaching gets the kids off the couch and the nintendo and interacting with their parents whilst getting fit (hopefully) - I have one gripe!!! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Back in the good old days - ie - several years back when we lived near the city and we were able to hide and seek all that was available back then the one thing that really used to get me was when we made a cache full off goodies and a single family with a few kids plus tag alongs would seek it out. No problem there you say - well how about when they let the kids take most of the contents but dont bother adding anything. :cry:
Hopefully these days things have changed although I must admit I still know one family who still offends. (and it aint me!!!)

Climbing down off the soap-box now. Happy geocaching over the long weekend everyone :) :) :) :)

Fairly Magic

Post by Fairly Magic » 30 September 06 5:45 pm

We (usually) cache as a family. Although after a long day it is not unusual for jnr cachers (10 and 12) to wait in the car while Mum and Dad find the cache.

Netballer has a preference for caching with Snuva........ something about her slaves not arguing with Snuva's directions or some such palava. :o

One of the problems we encountered early on was teaching the youngest all about discretion............ FOUND IT, at the top of his lungs was a catchcry we had to tame. :oops:

To overcome the arguments about swaps the rule is usually whoever finds the cache gets to swap. Although now Sirius is so good at finding that plan has failed a bit, so we just carry enough swaps for both jnr caches to swap with.

Hiding caches? The kids have created their own series of playground caches - No Traction! They both understand about caches being muggled and hope that it doesn't happen, but know it's a possibility. They really enjoy getting home from school and reading the logs to see who has visited their caches - and they have a 'black book' of their caching friends who haven't been there yet! :twisted:

Event caches would have to rate up there as the best in the juniors books. Especially when the adults do silly things like dress like pirates 8) . And the cheers went up when they realised daylight savings starts tomorrow so the regular Monday night Haunting non-event will return to it's old location next week, after the 2 Swampys Event this Monday :D

Cheers Quilter
[/list]

solomonfamily
1700 or more caches found
1700 or more caches found

Squire

Post by solomonfamily » 01 October 06 9:10 am

For the Solomonfamily, I use caching as a chance to be with the family. 2yo and a bit - Squire Josh comes almost everytime I go out - he recognises potential caches and I let him choose the swaps. It can be a pain though as he insists on pushing the stroller - this can take a very long time over 400m - almost all have to be well planned. King and Queen Solomon Snr. are now also involved - Queen Snr, Squire and I even attempted a FTF yesterday. :shock:

NastySteve
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by NastySteve » 05 October 06 1:11 pm

We have a 6 yo daughter, and we can't go caching without her.

And she usually beats us to find the cache!