Temporarily Unavailable Caches......

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

How long from being made Temporarily Unavailable should a cache wait before being archived?

Three months
31%
Four months
2%
Five months
No votes
Six months
5%
One year
No votes
Please leave my caches alone I'll do it when I am ready.....(never)
9%
Ask me first, via personal email
47%
Ask me first, via a note on the cache page
5%

Total votes: 55

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....

Temporarily Unavailable Caches......

Post by swampgecko » 18 January 04 5:06 pm

How long should a cache sit marked...Temporarily Unavailable for? Or how long is acceptable before it should be archived?

I am guilty of this and so is a lot of other people... so now is time to voice your opinion. I just went through a couple of states and there are some caches coming up to a year Temporarily Unavailable

Personally I say that If you have had it marked Temporarily Unavailable for more than THREE MONTHS then it should be archived.

I know that the other approvers around the world just archive a cache that has been unavailable more than 3mths, no questions asked.

Thoughts and opinions, please also ask anyone who is not a member of these forums.

Remeber the poll above IS anonymous
Last edited by swampgecko on 29 February 04 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Manta
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by Manta » 18 January 04 9:38 pm

My personal opinion: At three months, the owner should be notified to ascertain his/her intentions and given 1 month to take action. If the cache is not re-instated, re-stocked, repaired or re-located within this time it should be archived. Obviously, common sense should prevail in that there may be reasonable excuses as to why the owner can't fix the problem (e.g. illness, away overseas, etc) and these should certainly be taken into consideration. If however, and this is the case with a few caches here in Queensland, the owner cannot be contacted over several months via their geocaching email or other means, then I believe they have clearly signalled their intention to no longer be involved in the game and their 'temporarily unavailable' caches should be made 'permanently unavailable' and archived.

Team Pathfinder
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found

Post by Team Pathfinder » 18 January 04 11:29 pm

Feeling a little guilty here!!!! We have made a few temporarily unavailable just before heading down south (1700klms) to check them and remove the ones which where no-longer suitable to be left on their own for a while. We did it because we knew we would be away from the PC for three weeks and didnt want other cache hunters going out looking forward to a find only to find that it wasnt there.

Another of our caches - Milling Around on Jenella - we temporarily archive at the end of summer through to the following spring as high tides stop people safely traversing a water crossing to it. I hope that didnt give too much away.

Cutting a long story short, I guess it depends on the dedication of the Cache owners involved. If the geocachers have been inactive as a team for a while maybe GC should permanently archive them.

Thanks for listening to my rambles - the 40+++C heat up here must be getting to me!!

Sue

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 19 January 04 9:34 am

I am of similar opinion: after 3 months ask, and then archive it if there is no suitable response within a month or so.

I guess there are caches where there could be a good reason why the cache is temporarily (but for an extended period) unavailable, but I think it makes sense to check with the cache owner if this is the case. Perhaps the owner could put a note to explain why the cache is unavailable, and when it might be back on-line. e.g. "Access road closed because of bush fires, waiting for road to re-open."

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 19 January 04 9:54 am

Given the distances I would think 3 months would be enough but I polled 6 just in case I wasn't in the mood.

I reckon Email people after 3 months. Give then another month after that. If no responce launch a rescue mission to investigate and / or retrieve cache. Max 6 months given special condition. Some people may not want to go out into the heat to repair a cache and waypoints or need the extra afternoon daylight. Who know's!

My $0.02 worth.

Bronze

SNIFTER
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by SNIFTER » 19 January 04 6:57 pm

If the owners of a disabled cache are still current cachers then a personal email is fine to check out why something hasn't been done after 3-4 months. The 2 Dogs usually leave a note as to why something is disabled eg fires and closed access roads(there are still some that are closed 12 months on since the last fires). Weather conditions are another reason. If something happens to my Berry Good cache in NT then I am not going there till all the crocs have gone.
If a cacher is still serious about caching I am sure they will reply. There are exceptions to every rule so I think that every disabled cache would have to have its own reason.

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 22 January 04 5:14 pm

I know of one particular cache that sits in an area hit by the January 2003 fires. The area was until recently off limits, so no one has been able to check. I did email the cache owner today about joining him to look for it and I think he is planning to soon.

Having said that I agree with earlier posts: three months is about long enough, and then an email should be sent. If the owner has a reason for holding it longer than that should be fine.

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 22 January 04 5:32 pm

Spindoc Bob wrote:I know of one particular cache that sits in an area hit by the January 2003 fires. The area was until recently off limits, so no one has been able to check. I did email the cache owner today about joining him to look for it and I think he is planning to soon.
That wouldn't be a cache with a tb in it? That I am extremely interested in?

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 22 January 04 5:50 pm

That's the one. I'm hoping we'll get there sometime in February. This weekend is out. 2 Leg is busy elsewhere.

Jedda

Post by Jedda » 31 January 04 2:48 am

I personally have 2 caches that are temperarily unavailable, and have been for several months. The problem is that I have not been able to return them till the vegitation grows back from the fires that hit them, and its taken longer than expected because of the drought we were having during winter and spring

Effrem

Post by Effrem » 01 February 04 2:29 am

Hows about giving a reason for the cache/s being unavailable and an expected time line till they come back online, and if they dont give a reason or the time line lapses (without an update) they are archived after one month.

Also would help us plan an attack on the cache when its comes back online :lol:

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 01 February 04 8:40 am

This is what we have done in the South Australian forum.
Except it doesnt really get used that much :(

rav 4 raiders
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by rav 4 raiders » 01 February 04 10:41 pm

Team Piggy wrote:This is what we have done in the South Australian forum.
Except it doesnt really get used that much :(
I look Pigster!

The Rats
5000 or more caches found

Post by The Rats » 02 February 04 10:14 am

A friendly email is always the best starting place. It gives the owner time to explain themselves or may even jog their fading memory that hey "I forgot this cache was unavailable".

I personally have been slack and have a few that need some urgent attention.

Tankengine

Post by Tankengine » 08 February 04 8:34 pm

I think 3 or 4 months is long enought, unless a good reason has been posted as to why it will take longer. eg Area unaccessible due to fires would be a valid excuse.