TB Graveyards

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Re: Sadly - a good idea ...

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 16 January 04 7:00 am

langy wrote:... and do I have time to say - hi coz this is my first posting?
No, I'm sorry, we haven't time!

:) (have you ever been on television?)

Slider & Smurf
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Slider & Smurf » 16 January 04 10:36 pm

I think a local graveyard is a great idea ... keeps those TBs amongst friends!! The Isle of the Dead sounds like an appropriate location.

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 16 January 04 11:35 pm

Isle of the Dead is now in place....

I might get my bum kicked by Embi over it... but it is now there for all to use

Team Stargazer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Team Stargazer » 17 January 04 1:01 am

May they all RIP 8)

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 17 January 04 10:26 am

Good Idea - Thanks Guys.

My / Our first travel bug goes out soon. Will be interesting to watch.

Welcome Langy - Thanks Dooghan - Goodone Swampy.

Bronze.

Varuna
2350 or more caches found

Post by Varuna » 18 January 04 8:42 pm

swampgecko wrote: I thought Isle of the Dead would be more appropiate.
See following websites for an example in other countries they have set up for Lost TB Graveyard.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 30efc2abeb

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... y&decrypt=

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... ?wp=GCH28H

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index. ... opic=25993

I personally think by using Isle of the Dead for TB graveyard is rather a taboo. I have been there and it caused my electronic camera in a crazy spin when trying to shoot some photos. It would be much better if we use the Tasman Sea coordinate for the graveyard. Since it has been installed already, let hope it would not affect in any way. :roll:

swampgecko

Post by swampgecko » 18 January 04 9:08 pm

I have already set the cache up.. but as fortune would have it, the co-ords I used are not actually for the Isle of the Dead. they are just off it.

I hope that appeases the spirits enough.

Varuna

Post by Varuna » 18 January 04 9:50 pm

swampgecko wrote:I have already set the cache up.. but as fortune would have it, the co-ords I used are not actually for the Isle of the Dead. they are just off it.

I hope that appeases the spirits enough.
I am relieved to know that it is not located on the island. Thanks :D

Team Stargazer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Team Stargazer » 18 January 04 11:57 pm

Varuna wrote: I personally think by using Isle of the Dead for TB graveyard is rather a taboo. I have been there and it caused my electronic camera in a crazy spin when trying to shoot some photos. It would be much better if we use the Tasman Sea coordinate for the graveyard. Since it has been installed already, let hope it would not affect in any way. :roll:
Sounds like the perfect spot then, I think! :twisted:

(your not into astrology too by any chance? :roll: )

Bronze

Post by Bronze » 19 January 04 9:44 am

Eerie indeed:

Sorry - Can't help myself!

At - http://www.portarthur.org.au/site-tour/isleofdead.htm
The small island off Port Arthur, originally called Opossum Island,was selected as a burial place by the Rev. John Manton in 1833. Between that time and the closure of the penal settlement in 1877 some 1000 burials took place on the Isle of the Dead. The vast majority of these were convicts and ex-convict paupers who were buried in mostly unmarked graves on the lower part of the island. The graves of free people were on the higher part of the island and marked by sometimes elaborate headstones cut by the convict stonemasons.

At- http://www.ausemade.com.au/tas/destinat ... ofdead.htm
The Isle of the Dead (Isle De Morts, also known as Dead Island) was originally called Opossum Island after the vessel under the command of the Port Officer at Hobart Town, Captain John Welsh, during his survey for a penal settlement. The establishment of Port Arthur in 1830 when it began operating first as a timber station, then a prison settlement for male convicts in 1833. The selection and naming of the Island as a burial ground was described in a religious pamphlet published in 1845 and written by Rev. John Allen Manton, a Wesleyan Missionary appointed as Officiating Clergyman in 1833.

It was also said in the religious pamphlet that there would be no tombstone or other mark to be placed at the head of the convict graves, and that the only indication of graves reserved for convicts were to be mounds of earth on the southern or lower half of the Island. The high ground on the northern half of the island would be reserved for Civil and Military burials, who were permitted to have headstones.

The policy of not erecting convict headstones was obviously changed, as is evident today, with the first convict headstone that we know of being erected over the grave of Edward Spicer, about the 19th January, 1854.

The policy of not burying convicts on the higher ground was changed round about the 28th February, 1858, when William Mansfield was buried there (his being the earliest surviving convict stone on the Island today).

Today we know of several more convicts given headstones.

The first convict to be buried there was John Hancock, as his convict record states that John Hancock alias Wilcox was transported for stealing,

On the 19th July, 1916, the Island was proclaimed a reserve under the Scenery Preservation Act, and an official guide was appointed to take tourist to the Island. Control of the Island was to change hands a number of times.

In 1937, attempts were made to clear the island and lay it out as a garden of remembrance. However many of the plants were not suited to the Island and did not survive and it was decided to re-establish native bush plants that thrive under the Island conditions.

In 1971, under the National Parks and Wildlife Service, the island was cleared of undergrowth and maintenance of the grounds, headstones and graves was undertaken. Paths were established and regular guided tours are now part of the island.

Indeed the graves offer a glimpse into the past, offering a look at the people who lived, worked, suffered and died, bringing to life images of a fascinating historical past.

In 1841, the amateur meteorologist and Deputy Assistant Commissary at Port Arthur's prison settlement, Thomas Lempriere, in the company of noted Antarctic explorer Captain Sir James Ross, cut one of the earliest benchmarks in the world, against which to measure scientific changes in sea level.

He used a basic tidal gauge to measure the tidal movements of the time, and it is only in recent times that his results were found in London.

Today, this benchmark with the old records of tidal movements, will be compared to current measurements of the sea level, to establish what if any changes have occurred.

The Bronze.[/img]

Varuna

Post by Varuna » 19 January 04 12:30 pm

Thanks, Bronze, for providing the interested information. :)

Two Goth Geeks
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: TwoGothGeeks

Post by Two Goth Geeks » 19 January 04 1:09 pm

Bear_Left wrote:
langy wrote:... and do I have time to say - hi coz this is my first posting?
No, I'm sorry, we haven't time!

:) (have you ever been on television?)
Over to you, Colin.

leek
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by leek » 27 January 04 10:58 am

The TB graveyard has 2 new occupants... Scorch & Smoulder, my 2 Welsh Dragon TBs... <br><br>

Had I been more alert, I would have noticed earlier, but they were both in UK caches that had been trashed and archived months ago... <br><br>

Nice of the cache owners to let me know - NOT!...<br><br>

RIP little dragons...