Snake Sightings

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
astroboy1967
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by astroboy1967 » 03 November 06 1:47 pm

Saw a few of these while doing "BILLS BOX" in Girraween NP last weekend.

sbalogh53
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by sbalogh53 » 22 November 06 12:46 am

Saw a brown snake on a large rock on the side of the track while doing "The Razor". It slithered off into a hollow between the rocks when I was still a few metres away. I only saw it because of the sudden movement out to the side of my main field of view.<br><br>I usually try to make lots of noise while walking, hopefully to scare off any snakes before I get to them. Seemed to have worked this time.

GammaPiSigma
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by GammaPiSigma » 22 November 06 7:55 am

This year is really turning out to be the year of the snake. I'm now up to snake number three. Saw another Yellow Faced Whip snake in Tahmoor Canyon and then last week I nearly rode over a big Red Bellied Black snake.<br><br >
Mike.

TeamAstro
5000 or more caches found

Snake Bites

Post by TeamAstro » 22 November 06 1:19 pm

Death Adder Snake (Acanthophis antarcticus) Bite:

Unfortunately, a Death Adder snake bit AstroSue on the left foot at a Parking Bay near the top of Yorke Peninsula. This occurred at 10am on 15 November (last week) while Sue was at work. Sue had been driving for a while and had stopped for a rest break.

Sue had thought she had stepped on a needle, but realized it was a snake bite when she saw two fang marks in her shoe.

She was able to drive to Minlaton, the closest town from where she was.

She spent the day in Minlaton Hospital, and was transferred to the Royal Adelaide Hospital (RAH) later that night.

Sue was discharged at 10am the next day on the 16th.

Sue had to go back to hospital on the 17th due to lasting effects of the bite.

Sue was lucky. The fangs penetrated her leather boot, one fang delivering the poison to the rubber underlay in the boot (just missing her sole), the other fang just puncturing her foot, delivering an apparently non-lethal dose.

Had both fangs penetrated her skin, breathing difficulties within 3-5 minutes would have been the normal reaction, resulting in death if appropriate medical assistance had not been available. (The mode of action of the venom of a Death Adder is different to the common Black or Brown snake)

According to Dr Julian White, RAH, this is the first recorded bite to a member of the public from a Death Adder in South Australia for some 35 years.

These snakes are responsible for a number of deaths in the Northern Territory every year, and many deaths in New Guinea.

For further information, please contact me privately.

Dr Julian White trains all toxinologists in Australia. See his excellent website for this topic at www.toxinology.com.

Clear skies, TeamAstro. Take heed. Please.

Postman Pat
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by Postman Pat » 22 November 06 2:18 pm

What a close call glad to here that she's on the mend Brings a whole new meaning to stop revive survive :shock:

Geodes

Post by Geodes » 22 November 06 3:04 pm

How unlucky she was to be bitten at all - Death Adders are (anecdotally) supposed to be very docile, and how lucky to be able to get to treatment unassisted! I'm so glad she's doing well :D
<P>Hearing first-hand of such an incident brings into question some things I had previously taken for granted about snakebites - I'd always assumed that a decent pair of shoes/boots would be sufficient protection. I'm surprised/disturbed to hear that fangs can penetrate a pair of boots and deliver a load of venom to the foot :cry:

GIN51E
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by GIN51E » 22 November 06 7:23 pm

Geodes wrote:How unlucky she was to be bitten at all - Death Adders are (anecdotally) supposed to be very docile, and how lucky to be able to get to treatment unassisted! I'm so glad she's doing well :D
<P>Hearing first-hand of such an incident brings into question some things I had previously taken for granted about snakebites - I'd always assumed that a decent pair of shoes/boots would be sufficient protection. I'm surprised/disturbed to hear that fangs can penetrate a pair of boots and deliver a load of venom to the foot :cry:
Docile???
I think not, they are an ambush predator and will sit and wait for dinner to come to them, they wont run away from you when your coming like other snakes but if you do step on them or they think your about to step on them then they will bight and very quickly at that. DO NOT think of them as Docile as the moment you try to pick one up then you will be dialing 000

they are much like the Eastern Water Dragon where there has been many times i've nearly stepped on one because they just wouldn't move out of my way, i just don't know what goes through their head "ssshhh i can see him looking at me but as long as i don't move he wont see me" :lol:
Last edited by GIN51E on 22 November 06 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tim da sparky

snake sightings

Post by tim da sparky » 22 November 06 7:30 pm

i would rather just let them be than to try and pick any thing that could bite up

TeamAstro

Post by TeamAstro » 22 November 06 9:01 pm

Geodes wrote:How unlucky she was to be bitten at all - Death Adders are (anecdotally) supposed to be very docile, and how lucky to be able to get to treatment unassisted! I'm so glad she's doing well :D

Docile :lol: : well some may think so, in fact that is part of the snakeÂ’s methodology/strategy, as described in the GIN51E log.

Dr White mentioned that these snakes used to be called “deafÂâ€

Spruce Mooses
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by Spruce Mooses » 22 November 06 9:17 pm

Poor Sue! I think I'd die of shock first before the venom hit me.
Hope she fully recovers soon!
-Shelly

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 22 November 06 10:24 pm

Hope she recovers quickly.

I've only seen two snake in my geocaching adventures. The first time 2legdrive (before he got married) nearly stepped on one, the second time was in August in Royal NP. With the heat and hmidity about, we certainly need to be careful

I'm planning doing a special in the third episode of GeoTalk. I have a friend that runs the reptile park in Canberra. Maybe I could speak to Sue about her experience, if she's up to it?

Dosphoenix

Post by Dosphoenix » 23 November 06 9:49 am

Glad to hear Sue is feeling better. I hope she recovers fully soon. Thank you for the warning though.

Cached
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 23 November 06 12:18 pm

Wow.

Glad to hear AstroSue is doing OK now. How long do they expect for a full recovery?

With AstroSue & SA_Parrothead, it hasn't been a good month for SA cachers and major injuries.

:(

swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 23 November 06 6:32 pm

Having had a very close call with a Death Adder myself, I am very Glad to hear that AstroSue is ok. I count myself a lucky son of a gun as the Adder wasn't interested in biting me, thou he did move between my feet, closest point of approach was about 2 inches from my runner enclosed foot.

Devar
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life
Twitter: Devar

Post by Devar » 26 November 06 5:32 pm

Came across a Tiger snake yesterday, near Canning River, WA.